PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats pick from Saints in David Thomas trade upgraded to 6th rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can all look forward to it becoming a 2012 4th round pick.

Inevitably, this pick will be a second rounder...

2011 6 > 2011 7, but Dave Thomas > 2011 6.

We've always had luck in the 6th round.

Sean Payton> Tom O'Brien under BB's tutilege.

Tom O'Brien coached the Pats' tight ends in 2006-2008? Was he also the coach at NC State at the time? ;)

If you mean Bill O'Brien, which I think you do, he had nothing to do with Thomas while he was here. McDaniels was the OC all three of those years, and Mangurian was the TEs coach.

So... Sean Payton > Josh McDaniels?

Last edited:
No matter how it went, I also expect this to be twisted and traded into a 2nd rounder through Bill's Magic Drafting Powers. ;)

No matter how it went, I also expect this to be twisted and traded into a 2nd rounder through Bill's Magic Drafting Powers. ;)

By my not so scientific calculations, the Pats have 10 picks next year
2#1s (own and Oak), 2 #2's (own and Car),#3,#4,#5, 2 #6's (own and N.O.) and a #7.
As for compensatory picks, they lost Watson to free agency and signed Crumpler. Does that merit a seventh round compensatory pick???
That's two picks on day one,three on day two and five on day three. I think I know who will be dealmaker next year....

Last edited:
We can all look forward to it becoming a 2012 4th round pick.

Heh, and that becoming a 2013 third round pick, if the world doesn't end in 2012.

By my not so scientific calculations, the Pats have 10 picks next year
2#1s (own and Oak), 2 #2's (own and Car),#3,#4,#5, 2 #6's (own and N.O.) and a #7.
As for compensatory picks, they lost Watson to free agency and signed Crumpler. Does that merit a seventh round compensatory pick???
That's two picks on day one,three on day two and five on day three. I think I know who will be dealmaker next year....

They've lost Watson and Green while signing Crumpler, Lewis, Gordon, Patten, Holt and Warren.

However, Lewis, Holt, and Warren were all cuts, so they don't count. I don't know where Gordon and Patten stand.

They've lost Watson and Green while signing Crumpler, Lewis, Gordon, Patten, Holt and Warren.

However, Lewis, Holt, and Warren were all cuts, so they don't count. I don't know where Gordon and Patten stand.

Gordon was released by the Iggles in an injury settlement last year, and the Titans(?) released Patten last September, so I don't know that either of them count.

Furthermore, (A) players who sign vet-minimum contracts (as Patten did) generally do not count in the formula, and (B) players who don't make the final roster don't count, either.

Reiss: Pats pick from Saints in David Thomas trade upgraded to the Tom Brady round.

Excellent.

Gordon was released by the Iggles in an injury settlement last year, and the Titans(?) released Patten last September, so I don't know that either of them count.

Furthermore, (A) players who sign vet-minimum contracts (as Patten did) generally do not count in the formula, and (B) players who don't make the final roster don't count, either.

Patten was released, so he automatically doesn't count. As were Gordon, Warren, Holt, and Lewis, as DaBruinz mentioned.

That leaves Crumpler as the only true UFA signing, compared to Watson and Green as the only UFA losses.

With so few signings in FA this year (and small money at that), I wonder if J. Green and Watson get us a pair of 4ths or 5ths compensatory picks. I bet a lot of Round 8 (compensatory) will be just handout 7th rounders.

Is it possible we netted two extra 4th rounders?

Last edited:

Watson (+)
Green (+)
Crumpler (-)

In terms of Compensatory Picks, I believe it would be in our best interest if someone would sign Burgess for greater than the veteran minimum, so as to offset Crumpler. Also, I think it has to be before June 1st, but i'm not sure. (I suppose someone could sign Hanson, but let's not hang our hopes on that one.) Watson and Green actually signed pretty good-sized contracts. Don't ask why, but Green's deal is for four years, $20 million, or an average annual value of $5 million. That would land us a pick in the 4th-5th round range based on past history. Watson's contract was for a bit less, but still in the 5th-6th round range. We gotta get an offset to Crumpler though, or else it takes a bit out of our net losses.

Last edited:
Idk what you guys are talking about, but I don't think this pick is tradeable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots