PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Pats Notebook Nugget on WRs in 2010 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
One of the hot topics before the draft was how having former Patriots staffers spread across the NFL (e.g. Josh McDaniels in Denver, Scott Pioli in Kansas City) might impact New England. One example came late in the third round when the team had narrowed its 90th choice to three receivers, all of whom had the same grade. One of them, Minnesota's Eric Decker, went 87th to the Broncos.

I find it interesting that BB gave Eric Decker and Taylor Price the same draft grade. Anyone know who the 3rd receiver is?

Andre Roberts went 88, Gilyard went 99 - wouldn't be shocked if it was one of those two.

I'd put money on it being Roberts.

It's a weirdly phrased nugget. So one of the several other "BB tree" teams took 1 of the 3 WRs the Patriots liked? And that guy was drafted toward the bottom of the range where he was expected to go, where he was presumably the highest rated receiver remaining on many teams' boards? And the Pats still got one of the guys they targeted by sitting tight all the way to the end of the round?

How exactly does this demonstrate any impact at all? :confused:

Last edited:
Perhaps the 3rd was McCluster? He was taken by Pioli early in round 2 and is considered a WR/RB.

It's a weirdly phrased nugget. So one of the several other "BB tree" teams took 1 of the 3 WRs the Patriots liked? And that guy was drafted toward the bottom of the range where he was expected to go, where he was presumably the highest rated receiver remaining on many teams' boards? And the Pats still got one of the guys they targeted by sitting tight all the way to the end of the round?

How exactly does this demonstrate any impact at all? :confused:

I said right when it happened - McDaniels stole Eric Decker from us! And it may end up being true.

I agree with you that it was weirdly phrased because the nugget about McDaniels wasn't so interesting. What's interesting is that Reiss has information on how the Patriots rated some players - which is not something I'd ever been aware of. He obviously must know who the 3rd WR was. It's possible he didn't name him because he was still on the board at 113. Like Carlton Mitchell, or (gulp) Riley Cooper.

Maybe someone should email him and ask who the 3rd guy was.

I find it interesting that BB gave Eric Decker and Taylor Price the same draft grade. Anyone know who the 3rd receiver is?

Andre Roberts makes sense, as he was known to be a solid route runner like Decker. These two along with Sanders and Gilyard made up my top four. I completely missed the boat on Price, as he wasn't on my board. Reading up on him post draft, I now see why he was selected.

Reiss is a teaser for sure. Although he probably figured that once he made his point (McDaniels selecting Decker), it was pointless to name the 3rd WR -- except for the persistently inquisitive draftnik crowd. Thank you Michael. :bricks:

I said right when it happened - McDaniels stole Eric Decker from us! And it may end up being true.

I agree with you that it was weirdly phrased because the nugget about McDaniels wasn't so interesting. What's interesting is that Reiss has information on how the Patriots rated some players - which is not something I'd ever been aware of.

Agreed on both points, I liked Decker a lot too. And this tidbit from Reiss lends extra weight to his statement that Gronkowski & Hernandez were the Pats' top-rated classic TE & receiving TE/H-back, respectively.

The third and fourth rounds were WR rounds -- 7 in the 3rd and 4 in the top 10 picks of round 4. Were it not for Carolina acting outside the box in selecting converted QB Edwards as WR at 89, Price might not have lasted for the Pats.

Decker as we know is recovering from foot surgery but is highly regarded. Notice how the Pats this year stayed away from players who were unlikely to be ready for mini camp. Given equal grades, it appears NE is happy to get Price.

The third and fourth rounds were WR rounds -- 7 in the 3rd and 4 in the top 10 picks of round 4. Were it not for Carolina acting outside the box in selecting converted QB Edwards as WR at 89, Price might not have lasted for the Pats.

Reportedly, in the weeks leading up to the draft, Carolina was interested in Price. Oddly, given the opportunity, they didn't select him. I remember reading that Price was a wide receiver on the rise.

Blair White

Agreed on both points, I liked Decker a lot too. And this tidbit from Reiss lends extra weight to his statement that Gronkowski & Hernandez were the Pats' top-rated classic TE & receiving TE/H-back, respectively.

Yeah. I wonder how much more he knows.

As the 3rd name, you mean? You think they let a guy they had rated as a 3rd rounder go undrafted?

I threw him out there tongue-in-cheek, since he was such a favorite of this board. I'm guilty of that myself. IIRC, I had him as late 2/early 3 value along with Gilyard and Roberts. He wins this year's Erin Henderson/Darius Walker/Gerald Cadogan award for my most highly-rated player who went undrafted.

Of course, I had Price rated higher, and once Price was selected, White's value to the team would have dropped a bit.

Last edited:
He wins this year's Erin Henderson/Darius Walker/Gerald Cadogan award for my most highly-rated player who went undrafted.

Maybe that's what those analysts meant by calling White a "Wes Welker type" -- that he wouldn't get drafted? ;)

Andre Roberts makes sense, as he was known to be a solid route runner like Decker. These two along with Sanders and Gilyard made up my top four. I completely missed the boat on Price, as he wasn't on my board. Reading up on him post draft, I now see why he was selected.

I had Price as the highest rated WR outside of the top 4, with Sanders close behind him. Decker works the short/intermediate middle of the field and Roberts is a receiver that operates best when in motion. I don't see either of them as great fits with the Pats renewed focus on the TE.

The reason I had Price ranked so high is that he can attack all areas of the field equally well. If he had a capable QB and semi-modern scheme at Ohio, Price would have put up huge numbers. Dude was always able to get open. I was very surprised he lasted through that WR run...with Carolina passing on him being the biggest surprise.

I had Price as the highest rated WR outside of the top 4, with Sanders close behind him. Decker works the short/intermediate middle of the field and Roberts is a receiver that operates best when in motion. I don't see either of them as great fits with the Pats renewed focus on the TE.

The reason I had Price ranked so high is that he can attack all areas of the field equally well. If he had a capable QB and semi-modern scheme at Ohio, Price would have put up huge numbers. Dude was always able to get open. I was very surprised he lasted through that WR run...with Carolina passing on him being the biggest surprise.

I think part of it was that the 2nd tier WR run happened so late. Really, after the first round guys (Bryant/Thomas) - you had that very deep, solid if unspectacular group of 2nd tier guys - Gilyard, Roberts, Decker, Price, etc.. It felt like the teams, knowing that there was a bunch of comparable wideouts with similar grades, kept waiting to pull the trigger. It's no surprise that as soon as Decker and Roberts went off the board, the Pats pounced on Price.

Of all the wideouts in that group - there's no doubt Price is the highest ceiling guy. Gilyard was my favorite, he's Desean Jackon with less speed - but thats just the thing, he does lack that straight-line speed. All the other guys project as #2. Price is the only one who may have the upside of a #1 type wideout, who can attack all areas of the field.

Of all the wideouts in that group - there's no doubt Price is the highest ceiling guy... Price is the only one who may have the upside of a #1 type wideout, who can attack all areas of the field.

I hope you're right.

Of all the wideouts in that group - there's no doubt Price is the highest ceiling guy. Gilyard was my favorite, he's Desean Jackon with less speed - but thats just the thing, he does lack that straight-line speed. All the other guys project as #2. Price is the only one who may have the upside of a #1 type wideout, who can attack all areas of the field.

I kind of doubt it would be Gilyard. He's too similar to Brandon Tate. I think we would want to wait a year to see what Tate has before looking for another WR with similar skills. My best guess would be Roberts. In addition to his skills, that military school background is something BB always has an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes