PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on the McCourty personal foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, all of this (in the rulebook) specifically refers to the REPLAY HOOD. They did not use the replay hood.

There is absolutely nothing in the rulebook that refers to the jumbotron/scoreboard, or replays outside the hood.

The jumbotron shows 'video replays'.

The officials are only allowed to use 'video replays' in specific occasions. It doesn't matter where the replay comes from.

If they were allowed to use the jumbotron to throw flags, many more would be thrown 'late' than already are. You must be new to football if you don't understand how this works.

Again, all of this (in the rulebook) specifically refers to the REPLAY HOOD. They did not use the replay hood.

There is absolutely nothing in the rulebook that refers to the jumbotron/scoreboard, or replays outside the hood.
What is your problem, if something is none reviewable its none reviewable, it doesn't matter whether its under the hood or jumbo tron. Why are you having such a hard time interchanging replay hood with jumbo tron, they both are replays.

Again, in the context of the NFL rulebook, the word REVIEW has a very specific meaning. The fact that you say they "reviewed" the play doesn't mean there was a "REVIEW".

He's asking you what is the meaning because everyone else has a different interpretation than you do.

Roger God-ell and the NFL just put out an "official" statement.

During the course of an NFL contest, referees and officials MAY NOT use any electronic replay display, outside of the sanctioned replay booth process, to determine if any in-game behavior or conduct constitutes a penalty. All in-game officiating must be the result of judgement and visual observation by the officiating crew.

The only exceptions are defined in Article 12, Section 5a of the NFL Official Rules and Regulations, which states;

"unless said incident involves the New England Patriots, then you can do whatever the **** you want and there will be no sanction or review by league officials.

Totally and complete crap. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
simple question Synovia.

In your opinion what do the following words in the NFL lexicon mean "Reviewable" and "non-reviewable"

you know my definition of those two NFL words, what is your definition of those two NFL words??

My definition of what is reviewable is irrelevant, because the NFL definition of a "REVIEW" did not happen.

Again, post Pereira's quote. "I believe I've heard" isn't useful in the least. Neither is Florio.

Post me a quote that says Jumbotron replays are available to referees on any play in order to make their decision.

What is your problem, if something is none reviewable its none reviewable, it doesn't matter whether its under the hood or jumbo tron. Why are you having such a hard time interchanging replay hood with jumbo tron, they both are replays.

I'm having a hard time interchanging because the rules specifically state the replay hood.

I don't disagree that your position should be how it is, but the rules very explicityly say "under the replay hood"

A major problem with this helmet to helmet bs is the receiver who's usually taller than the cornerback can lower his head and instigate helmet contact to draw a flag. I think Goodell is a lousy commish. The game is football and it's supposed to be rough. All he wants, along with the owners, is an 18 game schedule and to hell with the players.

Post me a quote that says Jumbotron replays are available to referees on any play in order to make their decision.

As I have said multiple times, the jumbotron is not mentioned anywhere in the rule book. The rules specifically state the replay hood.

Official replay review.

Unofficial replay review.

It's still a f!@#$%^ review of a f!@#$%^ non-reviewable call.

They didn't throw the flag in real time, then decided there was a foul after using a replay resource.

Link please, because thats new.

Are you joking? Dude........ play read...... think about it for a couple minutes, then decide if you really need a link :rolleyes:

As I have said multiple times, the jumbotron is not mentioned anywhere in the rule book. The rules specifically state the replay hood.

Seriously, when did you start watching football?

Whether or not you think you know the rulebook inside and out, this is really a basic concept of football that most fans, reporters, and players seem to understand.

Answer these questions: if referees were allowed to use the Jumbotron to decide whether or not to throw a flag on a specific play:

1. Have you ever seen referees standing around staring at the video board waiting to see what happened before throwing a flag?

2. Why wouldn't they simply wait until replays are shown after each play to see whether or not a penalty occurred?

3. Do you realize the can of worms that would be opened if they were allowed to do this?

4. Do you understand the gray area that is opened up once this is allowed?

5. Do you realize the affect that this would have on "Official Reviews"? Why devote so much time, equipment, effort, and rules to a replay system, if all a team has to do is call a timeout and ask the ref to please watch the jumbotron?

I honestly don't expect you to change your mind (or even answer these questions intelligently), because you've gone this far with your delusion that this is acceptable referee behavior, when every other football fan on the planet knows that this is not allowed and would never be allowed.

Hopefully, at some point in the near future, this point is clarified specifically by the NFL, and you can spend some time trying to get your foot out of your mouth.

Last edited:
Are you joking? Dude........ play read...... think about it for a couple minutes, then decide if you really need a link :rolleyes:
Some people have a hard time admitting their wrong, i think thats whats going on here.

Seriously, when did you start watching football?

Whether or not you think you know the rulebook inside and out, this is really a basic concept of football that most fans, reporters, and players seem to understand.
Again, Basic concepts don't mean anything. We're talking about a SET OF RULES here, that are being parced by a referee WHO IS A TRIAL LAWYER.
Answer this: if referees were allowed to use the Jumbotron to decide whether or not to throw a flag on a specific play, why wouldn't they simply wait until replays are shown after each play to see whether or not a penalty occurred?
Because most of the time the jumbotron footage isn't useful, and the home team doesn't replay a penalty being committed.

Do you realize the can of worms that would be opened if they were allowed to do this?

I honestly don't expect you to change your mind (or even answer these questions intelligently), because you've gone this far with your delusion that this is acceptable referee behavior, when every other football fan on the planet knows that this is not allowed and would never be allowed.

Hopefully, at some point in the near future, this point is clarified specifically by the NFL, and you can spend some time trying to get your foot out of your mouth.

What you feel here is isn't really relevant. What is relevant is how the rulebook reads.

Some people have a hard time admitting their wrong, i think thats whats going on here.

Again, if you think I'm wrong, post the rule stating that referees can't use the jumbotron, and I'll eat crow.

The jumboron is part of the entertainment operation of home teams. Officials shouldn't use it the same way they shouldn't use a text from their brother-in-law saying there was holding on the last play or a coach yelling at them.

They make the call based upon what they saw on the field, unless the play falls under the review guidelines.

Not for nothing, but this is absurd.

There's nothing in the rules that says Hochuli's friend calling from home can't text him and tell him that they got the call wrong either.

Again, a REVIEW is a VERY SPECIFIC THING IN THE RULE BOOK. A Review did not happen on that play. A referees conference did.

AGAIN, THIS WAS NOT A REVIEW.

I understand your point re: officials using every resource available to them to get the call correct. I believe it is valid and something the NFL should work towards.

With that said and before any type of NFL policy is in place, having officials look at the jumbotron would be substantially unfair to the visiting team. We would have beneficial jumbotron in favor of the home team after every play, and not once in favor of the visiting team.

"First down, pending stadium review."

*pause*

"Wait a minute...holding, offense, #72. And #68. But illegal contact on the defense, #25. And a neutral zone infraction, #93. Runner's knee was down at the 31, ball will be respotted."

*pause*

"Green Bay is challenging all of the stuff that went against them. Hold up, so is New England. Both are challenging the spot. Official timeout."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back