PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on Stephen Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwc

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From Mike Reiss: "Free-agent offensive guard Stephen Neal, who previously visited with the Vikings, is in Buffalo today meeting with the Bills."

Wow. When you leave the Vikings without a contract in hand, you really know it's not a seller's market for your services!

I bet he's coming back for cheap. I bet you.

BionicPatriot said:
I bet he's coming back for cheap. I bet you.
If Neal does come back I hope it's not to be a starter for us. IMHO, we need to do much better than Neal as starting RG for us.

Is Neal really that bad? I honestly never noticed because I was too busy watching Ashworth and Gorin suck it up.

JackBauer said:
Is Neal really that bad? I honestly never noticed because I was too busy watching Ashworth and Gorin suck it up.
The right side of our OL last year was forgettable.

One can only hope that none of them are back in the same capacity this season.

Though in 04 Neal was perhaps the most effective lineman. I thought he had a very good year. He did have a poor 05, I agree.

Neal really disappinted me with a lot of penalties and taking over Andruzzi's lookout blocks. Assuming Light and Kopen come back, we're good at LT, LG, C but really need to upgrade the other two spots. We have a Ferrari at QB, we must protect it at all costs.

JackBauer said:

If that's all you watch, you must lead a miserable life.

He is great at pulling though....you have to give him credit when its due...

I'd like him back...though NOT at an inflated price..and bring in another vet like Fabini as well..and maybe anotehr lineman..and all is set.

If nothing else, Neal sure looked good on those tight end screen passes -- both Watson and Graham scored on that same designed play, where they catch the ball in the flat, and Neal comes out and blows up the covering linebacker. (rembember Graham hurdling Neal?)

They went to that well a couple of times during the season, with a lot of success.

Bobs My Uncle said:
The right side of our OL last year was forgettable.

One can only hope that none of them are back in the same capacity this season.

He was decent(almost) with the run and deplorable with the Pass(HORRID).

He could have asked for too much money in Minnesota. I'd like to think he left without any type of offer.

I want him back. I think his play suffered due to injuries at every other spot on the OL. Sandwiched between Hochstein and Gorin can't be an easy job.

He wasn't THAT bad, jeez people. I'll take him back =]

Neal was not terribly consistent. A decent player, especially given his lack of football experience.

BelichickFan said:
Neal really disappinted me with a lot of penalties and taking over Andruzzi's lookout blocks. Assuming Light and Kopen come back, we're good at LT, LG, C but really need to upgrade the other two spots. We have a Ferrari at QB, we must protect it at all costs.
I think we allready have the upgrade in the roster. He played LT as a rookie last season next to another rookie OLineman and did a solid job. Kazur IMO will be our starting RT next year. Gorin will provide experienced backup and competition. I'm much more concerned with how Koppen and Light recover from their injuries.

If Light and Koppen are OK, the OL should be fine... maybe even a bit better with a season under the rooks' belts.

Neal was one of the better run blockers and a good pass blocker. I noticed that he would occassionally make mental errors in pass protection that were costly. If anyone gives him over 2 mill he is gone. I say draft Spencer or Davin Joseph.

For a guy who didn't play at all in college, he didn't suck. I'll write it off to sophomore jinx, much like a pitcher has trouble his second time around the league. Sticking with Dante is his best bet, long term. I hope he realizes that after he sees what else is out there. Anyone who signs him long-term is taking a chance that he can't take to the next level. If it's in him, Dante will bring it out.

jczxohn1 said:
For a guy who didn't play at all in college, he didn't suck. I'll write it off to sophomore jinx, much like a pitcher has trouble his second time around the league. Sticking with Dante is his best bet, long term. I hope he realizes that after he sees what else is out there. Anyone who signs him long-term is taking a chance that he can't take to the next level. If it's in him, Dante will bring it out.

He will take the money and sign elswhere, why would he think of showing loyalty to the team and the coach that made it possible for him to succeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back