PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...6/05/09/roach_hopes_to_make_name_for_himself/

Key excerpt"

''It's at a point now where you're playing with a chip on your shoulder from not being drafted," said Roach, who totaled 269 tackles in 49 college games.

Agent Mark Slough said the Patriots edged out the Dolphins, among other squads, to sign Roach in what turned out to be a ''competitive bidding." Dolphins coach Nick Saban, who unsuccessfully recruited Roach while coaching at Louisiana State, made multiple calls, according to Slough.

Roach likely slipped out of the draft because of a slow time in the 40-yard dash (4.8-4.9 range) and injury concerns (elbow, knee). By the sixth round, he said, he was hoping no team selected him because ''I wanted to be in New England; they showed the most interest in me from the start."

Well, I;m looking for him to be a young Ted Johnson. His 40 time is less important than his ability to shed blocks and tackle runners on first down and running downs. He doesn't have to be fast, doesn't have to cover, doesn't have to range form sideline to sideline. Just be a younger Ted Johnson.

This guy will definitely be someone to watch during TC.

Anyone know what Johnson's 40 time was?

Sounds like he'll be a good guy to watch.

Ted Johnson was a second rounder though. Not that great of a comparison at this point.

JJDChE said:
Sounds like he'll be a good guy to watch.

Ted Johnson was a second rounder though. Not that great of a comparison at this point.
Noodle Arm was a first rounder. Brady was a sixth. Not much of a comparison at this point.

Roach supposedly dropped in the draft because of terrible 40 time. My point was only that great 40 times are not needed for the job intended of Roach. His job will be the same job that Ted had, for which speed and ability to cover are not big requirements.

Maybe this is what BB meant when he said that this draft was especially full with LB's that fit the Pats system. Maybe there were so many that they didn't even have to use a draft pick on a good LB for their team.

zippo59 said:
Maybe this is what BB meant when he said that this draft was especially full with LB's that fit the Pats system. Maybe there were so many that they didn't even have to use a draft pick on a good LB for their team.

Great call, I've been thinking the same thing. More and more I'm starting to believe there isn't gonna be another huge defensive acquisition. There will be some battles in TC, most especially on the Defensive side of the ball. Let's give these young guys a chance... curious on the x-factor Claridge and I think we gotta give Beisel another year....

But I think when you look at the weapons we have in place to compliment Brady thru the prime of his career we should be in very good shape in the next few years. We will continue to build the defense, but OL, TE, RB, WR (with a Branch extension).. we're looking really good for the coming years...

I have a good feeling about this guy.

Even though he must have some warts or *somebody* would have drafted him, I think this guy has a shot. I saw him make a play in the Senior bowl where he ran to the outside to tackle a runner and he laid a *lick* on the poor fool. He got there lickety-split too so I don't know what the speed issue is about. Maybe he's poor moving backwards in coverage. He looks kind of like Vincint Brown if any of you old timers remember him.

patpatriot said:
Even though he must have some warts or *somebody* would have drafted him, I think this guy has a shot. I saw him make a play in the Senior bowl where he ran to the outside to tackle a runner and he laid a *lick* on the poor fool. He got there lickety-split too so I don't know what the speed issue is about. Maybe he's poor moving backwards in coverage. He looks kind of like Vincint Brown if any of you old timers remember him.

Some players' speed is different when there running down a 40 course than when they are running across the field in pursuit of the ballcarrier. It's for that reason that players are often said to play faster than their 40 time.

40 times are over rated. Maybe this guy can enlighten people about 40 times.

"When the big RB is coming, when the big TE is coming, when the big WR is coming, those 4.4 guy turn into 4.7 guys and us 4.6 guys turn into 4.4 guys."

Rodney Harrison

Not an exact quote, I heard him say that a couple of months ago.Nothing in print but I used quotation marks anyway. Sue me.

I really hope that Freddie works out for our team. He could be a big steal.

miDeuce said:
Great call, I've been thinking the same thing. More and more I'm starting to believe there isn't gonna be another huge defensive acquisition. There will be some battles in TC, most especially on the Defensive side of the ball. Let's give these young guys a chance... curious on the x-factor Claridge and I think we gotta give Beisel another year....

But I think when you look at the weapons we have in place to compliment Brady thru the prime of his career we should be in very good shape in the next few years. We will continue to build the defense, but OL, TE, RB, WR (with a Branch extension).. we're looking really good for the coming years...

Every year is different - the goal of the Front office is to continually do what is best for the football club by bringing in players destined to upgrade the level of talent at all times.
They certainly do a pretty darn good job of things! What a joy to watch an Owner, HC, VP, coaches, players, even fans - everybody associated with this team all united in a single goal - being the best.

I wanted the Pats to draft this kid in the second day, to get him UDFA was even better. Great pick up!

PATSNUTme said:
"When the big RB is coming, when the big TE is coming, when the big WR is coming, those 4.4 guy turn into 4.7 guys and us 4.6 guys turn into 4.4 guys."

Rodney Harrison

NICE! Great, great quote. 40 times are just indications of pure speed. As we all know, football speed takes into account instincts, toughness, and smarts. I'm looking forward to seeing if Roach has this kind of speed. By the way, the other Freddie Roach happens to be one of the best boxing trainers in the planet. Maybe that's why I like this LB as well.

An ILB doesn't drop out of the draft because he ran a 4.84 40. There must have been other things to it. If he ran a 5.04, then yeah, that would probably knock him out, but 4.84? Heck, most of the LBs are running in the 4.7s, 4.84 is a half a step off of 4.75.

JJDChE said:
An ILB doesn't drop out of the draft because he ran a 4.84 40.
I'm not sure about that, slow LB were dropping all over the place for seemingly no other reason. The NFL is trending to speed now and it probably really hurts those who might not even need the speed. There was a quote about that about Parham in the ProFW pay area with a scout saying "this isn't the '80s".

JJDChE said:
An ILB doesn't drop out of the draft because he ran a 4.84 40. There must have been other things to it. If he ran a 5.04, then yeah, that would probably knock him out, but 4.84? Heck, most of the LBs are running in the 4.7s, 4.84 is a half a step off of 4.75.
That was the thinking, and it makes sense to me. There may be another reason why a consensus fourth round pick slides to UDFA, but I don't know what it might be. Maybe everyone just needed offense this year....

BelichickFan said:
I'm not sure about that, slow LB were dropping all over the place for seemingly no other reason. The NFL is trending to speed now and it probably really hurts those who might not even need the speed. There was a quote about that about Parham in the ProFW pay area with a scout saying "this isn't the '80s".

Didn't Parnham run a 5.05? I mean I can understand that. That is just damn slow. A good chunk of OLineman can run faster than that. 4.84 Isn't bad. There are probably plenty of NFL starters that run a 4.8.

My point is, if he was good enough he would get drafted. Terrell Suggs is a speed rushing DE, he ran in the 4.8s and he got drafted 10th overall. 40 speed alone doesn't sink a guy that far unless it's abyssmal.

Another reason could be that plenty of teams had already drafted the defensive players they needed and didn't want to pay more than what the Pats were offering for him. Just a hypothesis, didn't do any research on this.

Plenty of NFL teams get caught in the numbers..speed, wt etc... overlook that they are playing football.. BUT I do think this draft was a lot deeper than iin years past..always happens that players drop.. I agree..as a UDFA, it is a GREAT pick up!! I think the UDFA class of this year will have a large impact on things!!

JJDChE said:
Didn't Parnham run a 5.05? I mean I can understand that. That is just damn slow. A good chunk of OLineman can run faster than that. 4.84 Isn't bad. There are probably plenty of NFL starters that run a 4.8.
Looking at the combine numbers, Roach and Parham were close to equally bad in the athletic tests (10, 20, 40, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back