PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on Chad Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Q. What is going on with Chad Jackson? Hamstring? Maturity issues? Trouble learning the system? Sports Illustrated's Peter King has mentioned Jackson's maturity issues in print. I assume that the Patriots did their due diligence prior to selecting him (plugs from Urban Meyer, worked him out in Foxborough). Do the Patriots have another Terry Glenn on their hands?
Bob Pothier, Newport Beach, Calif.

A: Most of all, from what I understand, it's his hamstring. There could be maturity issues, but I'm not aware of them. I am now aware of the fact that Jackson's hamstring tightened up on him prior to the Broncos game. Before that, I was assuming he was a healthy scratch, as I probably read too much into comments from Bill Belichick.

And I'm going to take Reiss' word - a guy who is there all day, every day - over that of Peter King.

Just more confirmation of what we'd thought - but at least this should quiet a few skeptics who for some reason still think there was more to CJ's scratch in Denver then his injury.

BradyManny2344 said:
Q. What is going on with Chad Jackson? Hamstring? Maturity issues? Trouble learning the system? Sports Illustrated's Peter King has mentioned Jackson's maturity issues in print. I assume that the Patriots did their due diligence prior to selecting him (plugs from Urban Meyer, worked him out in Foxborough). Do the Patriots have another Terry Glenn on their hands?
Bob Pothier, Newport Beach, Calif.

A: Most of all, from what I understand, it's his hamstring. There could be maturity issues, but I'm not aware of them. I am now aware of the fact that Jackson's hamstring tightened up on him prior to the Broncos game. Before that, I was assuming he was a healthy scratch, as I probably read too much into comments from Bill Belichick.

And I'm going to take Reiss' word - a guy who is there all day, every day - over that of Peter King.

Just more confirmation of what we'd thought - but at least this should quiet a few skeptics who for some reason still think there was more to CJ's scratch in Denver then his injury.

That's good to hear.

I think that once he gets healthy and fully knows what he's doing that he's going to be a very good one. You can tell that he's just a physical FREAK everytime he walks out there.

Combine him with Gabriel and we might have two very good big WRs now, something that Brady's never really had.

Brownfan80 said:
That's good to hear.

I think that once he gets healthy and fully knows what he's doing that he's going to be a very good one. You can tell that he's just a physical FREAK everytime he walks out there.

Combine him with Gabriel and we might have two very good big WRs now, something that Brady's never really had.

What I love about the prospect is that not only are they both big, they are really fast. In the past it seemed we sacrificed speed for size (Givens) and size for speed (Branch) now we have guys that have both in one package.

I agree with everything [both BrownFan and Zippo] just said. CJ is a physical specimen, basically the perfect size, speed, everything for his position. Gabriel is a beast, almost looks like a Tight End out there.

Hopefully, these guys will be as good as Deion Branch at getting open - and I think they both will be - b/c if they are open, Brady's got a much bigger target. Based on what little I have seen of CJ in college and in the pre-draft stuff, I think this guy's hands are unrivaled.

Essentially, Brady's margin for error on passes will get a lot bigger b/c of these two guys.

Last edited:
We will have to wait and see. My car looks great from the outside until you open the hood or step on the gas. I do wish him well he is a Patriot after all.

Another factor

I've noticed that when CJ plays (which granted hasn't been very often), his blocking is poor especialy for someone with his size/speed. Troy Brown is a much better blocker (see LM's 25 yd TD run). Charlie Weis was quoted as saying if you can't block, you can't play WR for the Pats.

Re: Another factor

patpatriot said:
I've noticed that when CJ plays (which granted hasn't been very often), his blocking is poor especialy for someone with his size/speed. Troy Brown is a much better blocker (see LM's 25 yd TD run). Charlie Weis was quoted as saying if you can't block, you can't play WR for the Pats.

They sure kept him in on a lot of running plays last week so who knows what that means.

zippo59 said:
They sure kept him in on a lot of running plays last week so who knows what that means.
Yeah, I didn't watch his blocking closely but there were several one WR running sets when Jackson was in as the only WR.

Last edited:

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, I didn't watch his blocking closely but there were several one WR running sets when Jackson was in as the only WR.

I noticed that too. Maybe they just want some film on his blocking to see where he's at? Or maybe his route running is not where it should be, so he can only be in the game as a decoy on running plays? I have no idea.

The Pats have been known to do a little attitude adjustment on ****y rookies, (Hello Deion, hello Ellis). Might be the case here.

Maybe using him as a blocker until he shows them something in that area.

**** you can't say ****? How about rooster?:D

I'm sure the Pats are doing what they always do with rookies...teaching them the fundamentals of the position before they get to do the flashy stuff. I'm not surprised at all Chad's blocking is not where it needs to be. However, with our coaching staff, I have no doubt it'll get there.

Anytime there was a 1 WR set, Chad Jackson was in to block for the run game. Clearly his blocking isn't that bad, as they started this before the route began. He looked perfectly fine to me.

Why would you believe Reiss? He is just BB's mouthpiece. Just ask Pat Nasty. :rolleyes:

Bella*chick said:
I'm sure the Pats are doing what they always do with rookies...teaching them the fundamentals of the position before they get to do the flashy stuff.
Particularly since he missed playing during most of TC and pre-season. Gabriel had a couple seasons under his belt and its still taken him a # of games here to get with the system. Patience!

The hamstring, if completely true, could be a blessing in disguise, forcing his development to proceed at a slower pace, giving him more time to learn, absorb, and digest with less pressure to prove up, which in turn could accelerate his progress.? jmo

zippo59 said:
What I love about the prospect is that not only are they both big, they are really fast. In the past it seemed we sacrificed speed for size (Givens) and size for speed (Branch) now we have guys that have both in one package.

Great point! You just put your finger on what always bothered me about Givens. He was never going to rise above a B+. Branch's A- never bothered me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back