PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: No second-guessing for Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Especially as the 30 to 30 was with a 6 point lead so they'd have to be a little soft to prevent the quick TD strike. That's balanced somewhat by there being less time on the clock when they get to the 30 under the punt scenario but I'm putting my money on the 4th and 2.

Exactly. In that situation, against that team, a 40 yd punt is of limited utility. Most likely, it was all going to come down to the red zone anyway, and the Colts were not going to run out of time because we wouldn't have been able to sack Manning. Considering the limited value of the punt, going for it is even more clearly the correct call.

Most likely, it was all going to come down to the red zone anyway, and the Colts were not going to run out of time because we wouldn't have been able to sack Manning.

Really? Do you have some kind of magical device where you see what happens in alternate realities?

Really? Do you have some kind of magical device where you see what happens in alternate realities?

Making estimates of the probablities of future events is the basis of rational decision making. On 45 dropbacks we sacked Manning once, and our D had gotten zero pressure in the 4th quarter, so, if you disagree with my assertion that is unlikely we would've sacked him, I guess you're the one with the crystal ball. As for my point about the red area, I think anyone who has watched any Patriots games over the years knows that they play a bend but don't break style in these end of game situations, especially against Manning, whom they almost never blitz, and his receivers, whom they give big cushions to. Again, if you think it is most likely that they wouldn't have moved to the 30 fairly quickly, I guess we just have a difference of opinion.

Now, take that magical device and do you know what with it.

Call me crazy, but I think having a melt down in November is going to help this team. I bet next time they're in a situation they're going to remember the feeling of not getting this one done. JMo

Now, take that magical device and do you know what with it.

Knit a sweater? Extrude aluminum? Shine my shoes? Solve world hunger? What? Tell me! I'm dying to know!

No, those are all in the posession of Bill's critics...

It actually is really simple, if you had to bet your life savings on one of the following, which one would it be?

A) Brady & the offense gain 2 yards in 1 play in the 4th quarter
B) The defense stops Peyton Manning from driving from the IND 30 to the NE 30 in the 4th quarter

It was the right call, whether it were in the playoffs or not.

So where are you betting your life savings? A or B?

I'm sure Bill realizes that the decision to go for it was one of the worst on-field decisions he's made as Patriots head coach, and I'm sure he'll take the time to ponder how he allowed himself to overrule all sense and make that call. There's really no need to 'second guess' it, at this point. He'll try to learn from his mistake and move forward as best he can. From all reports, that's just the sort of coach Bill is.

Hopefully the next time he preaches to the team about "situational football", hell remember that call, and work on better situational coaching.

Yeah, except it's not really the obviously wrong thing to do. In fact, it's not a bad call at all.

So where are you betting your life savings? A or B?

Neither place. I was saying that the poster says that they knew without a doubt that the Pats couldn't have sacked (or otherwise stopped) Manning. I was saying that you couldn't possibly know that 100%.

Neither place. I was saying that the poster says that they knew without a doubt that the Pats couldn't have sacked (or otherwise stopped) Manning. I was saying that you couldn't possibly know that 100%.

Neither is not an option, sorry.

BTW it's pretty much assumed that everyone knows you can't 100% know what will happen in the future, and to be fair he said most likely. Just seems nitpicky to me and avoids the overall point. So A or B? If you HAD to choose one, A or B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes