Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

July 25, 2006
Extra points

ROOKIE FOLLOW-UPS: Chad Jackson's rookie deal with the Patriots is a four-year package that doesn't include a signing bonus. Jackson will be paid a $452,000 roster bonus and has a $1.64 million option bonus, which is probably payable in March. He receives $90,000 workout bonuses in both 2008 and 2009, and $250,000 of his base salary is guaranteed in 2007. He also has a $100,000 bonus for winning the Rookie of the Year.

Kicker Stephen Gostkowski's four-year deal includes a $425,000 signing bonus and incentives that could increase the base salary in the final year.

Outside linebacker Jeremy Mincey's three-year deal includes a $68,200 signing bonus.

Most rookie deals across the NFL include minimum salaries in each year.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 06:05:10 PM

Last edited:
CJ has NO signing bonus? im not a contract expert, but isnt that unheard of for a 2nd rounder?

That is a very unusual contract for a second round pick. :confused:

If we presume that Freddie Roach was the only UDFA to get a signing bonus, this new info means that Maroney's 2006 cap number can be no higher than $1,218,321.

The Pats' rookie pool number is $4,617,429.
The total cap number for the 9 signed draft picks and the prorated portion of Freddie Roach's signing bonus is $3,399,108.

FWIW - Matt Jones, the 21st pick in the 2005 draft had a 2005 cap number of $1,260,000.

But Chad has in his contract something if he makes rookie of the year.
Does that say anything about where his head is?
What's the difference between signing bonus and roster bonus?
They both get paid before the season starts right? The only thing I am
thinking is that the signing bonus gets prorated and all the roster bonus hits the
cap this year. If this is true then this just a good way to use some of that
unused cap space the PATs have.

Miguel said:
If we presume that Freddie Roach was the only UDFA to get a signing bonus, this new info means that Maroney's 2006 cap number can be no higher than $1,218,321.

The Pats' rookie pool number is $4,617,429.
The total cap number for the 9 signed draft picks and the prorated portion of Freddie Roach's signing bonus is $3,399,108.

FWIW - Matt Jones, the 21st pick in the 2005 draft had a 2005 cap number of $1,260,000.

So you think that they structured Jackson's deal this way because of their limitations with the rookie pool. That makes sense. I wonder how much Jackson's contract is worth?

Last edited:
I'll be interested to see if Maroney will sign a 5-year deal.

Miguel said:
.... Maroney's 2006 cap number can be no higher than $1,218,321.

That doesn't sound like a formula that will get the lad signed pronto.

But Chad has in his contract something if he makes rookie of the year.
Does that say anything about where his head is?

that hes confident?

DefenseRules said:
So you think that they structured Jackson's deal this way because of their limitations with the rookie pool. That makes sense. I wonder how much Jackson's contract is worth?

I earlier linked to PFT's explanation.

Barrett Ruud was drafted 36th in the 2005 draft.
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=ruud&player=3925

As part of a 5-year deal he got a $2.06 million signing bonus, $101,000 roster bonus, and a 415,000 option bonus this year. So he got about $2.5 million in bonuses in the 1st 2 years of the deal. Jackson will get about $2,092,000 in bonuses in the 1st 2 years of his 4-year deal. For getting less money than Rudd, Jackson will able to enter free agency a year earlier.

It appears that both Jackson and Maroney will have lower 1st year cap numbers than the players drafted in the same slot in the 2005 draft. The other 8 draft picks have much higher cap numbers (42K to 50K) than the players drafted in the same slots during the 2005 draft so it appears that the $40K increase in a rookie's salary moved money from the top of the Patriots draft to the middle and lower round picks.

Miguel said:
.... For getting less money than Rudd, Jackson will able to enter free agency a year earlier.

It appears that both Jackson and Maroney will have lower 1st year cap numbers than the players drafted in the same slot in the 2005 draft. ....

Got it! Thank you.
The shorter rookie contracts under this CBA.

Miguel said:
Scroll down to the section labeled
"SECOND-ROUND DEALS GETTING MORE COMPLICATED

I think that this aspect of the CBA has been under-reported. When you hear about the relatively modest rookie pool increase or the relatively high min salary raise, it's usually described the way Florio has it -- as a problem, almost a mistake or oversight.

To me, it looks like a significant strategic move. The NFLPA finally took action on something that most fans have been clamoring for: too much money to high-round rookies, not enough left for proven veterans. I like the way they did it, too. Cannily, they didn't take away from the rookie pool, simply left it (mostly) out of the new cap windfall. And the fact that the rookie minimum salary now takes up a higher percentage of the rookie pool also seems strategic. It forces a slightly fairer distribution of cash among the rookies.

Miguel said:
If we presume that Freddie Roach was the only UDFA to get a signing bonus

I counted 13 out of 15 UDFAs for the Patriots who got signing bonuses.

AdamJT13 said:
I counted 13 out of 15 UDFAs for the Patriots who got signing bonuses.
which just lessens the available space in the Patriots' rookie pool for Maroney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back