Reiss - New kicker uses 1" tee

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailgater

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
THats good news. One less adjustment he has to make:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

“Probably the hardest transition in going from college to the NFL will be that kickoffs are more about direction and hang time than kicking it out of the end zone,†said Gostkowski, who is scheduled to arrive at Gillette Stadium on Friday for the team’s rookie mini-camp. “Special teams coaches spend a lot of time on coverages, so it’s not about being five yards deep all the time, but putting the ball where they want it.â€

Gostkowski said he’s always used a one-inch tee because that’s what his high school team (Madison Central) had when he first started kicking. After going through the scouting process and seeing the importance NFL coaches and scouts placed on the one-inch tee, he said less turned out to be more in his case.

tailgater said:
THats good news. One less adjustment he has to make:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

“Probably the hardest transition in going from college to the NFL will be that kickoffs are more about direction and hang time than kicking it out of the end zone,†said Gostkowski, who is scheduled to arrive at Gillette Stadium on Friday for the team’s rookie mini-camp. “Special teams coaches spend a lot of time on coverages, so it’s not about being five yards deep all the time, but putting the ball where they want it.â€

Gostkowski said he’s always used a one-inch tee because that’s what his high school team (Madison Central) had when he first started kicking. After going through the scouting process and seeing the importance NFL coaches and scouts placed on the one-inch tee, he said less turned out to be more in his case.

oh thank god.

How quickly the post-draft NFL dead time hits. Here is a discussion about whether a player uses a 1 inch tee or a 2 inch tee, and I'm bummed because the article didn't delve deeply enough into the subject.

Well, it is important. One but not the only reason tha great college kickers don't make it in the NFL.

So yes, I am glad to hear that he has been using an NLF tee to kick off. Might be one reason why the Patriots rated him above the others.

spacecrime said:
How quickly the post-draft NFL dead time hits. Here is a discussion about whether a player uses a 1 inch tee or a 2 inch tee, and I'm bummed because the article didn't delve deeply enough into the subject.

Same reaction here! The combination of wondering "did any of the other top kickers use a 1-inch tee in college?" and hating myself for even caring.

For what it's worth, this does highlight how pathetic draft analysis sites are in assessing kickers and punters. A significant factor like this never, ever comes up.

I like this kid already. Shows he's been preparing himself to kick on Sundays for a while now.

patchick said:
Same reaction here! The combination of wondering "did any of the other top kickers use a 1-inch tee in college?" and hating myself for even caring.

LMAO! so true, so true!

spacecrime said:
How quickly the post-draft NFL dead time hits.
The sad thing is, this isn't even the dead time. At least there's a mini camp coming up. Late May, Early June is when everything shuts down until training camp - God that time is awful . . . and it's coming up :(

a great messageboard

patchick said:
For what it's worth, this does highlight how pathetic draft analysis sites are in assessing kickers and punters. A significant factor like this never, ever comes up.

that's why i read this board every day. it's a blessing to be able to talk patriots football in a domain like this. my neighbors lose interest about 1/3 of the way into the stuff we discuss.
how can you discuss college kickers without talking about kicking platform?
i believe, tho, that ncaa kickers can also use tees for FGs. of course they cannot in nfl. for years, that's what has separated men from boys.
BTW, the uprights are, what, 20 feet narrower in nfl?

BelichickFan said:
The sad thing is, this isn't even the dead time. At least there's a mini camp coming up. Late May, Early June is when everything shuts down until training camp - God that time is awful . . . and it's coming up :(

Lucky for me, that will be the time when I am focused on finishing up my wedding plans and all the minutia.

DaBruinz said:
Lucky for me, that will be the time when I am focused on finishing up my wedding plans and all the minutia.
Ouch, I mean congrats, I didn't know you were getting married. I wish I'd met you, btw, when I stopped by the Orange County Pats Fans place for the Atlanta game last year. Maybe I'll make it down for a game this year.

BelichickFan said:
Ouch, I mean congrats, I didn't know you were getting married. I wish I'd met you, btw, when I stopped by the Orange County Pats Fans place for the Atlanta game last year. Maybe I'll make it down for a game this year.

I am trying to think why you wouldn'thave met me at that game. I am pretty sure I was in town for that one. Unless its the one I went to Santa Monica top Sonny McLeans to Watch the Pats.

DaBruinz said:
I am trying to think why you wouldn'thave met me at that game. I am pretty sure I was in town for that one.
I may have seen you but I didn't go around saying "who's DaBruinz" ;) Great game, though, had a good time.

BelichickFan said:
I may have seen you but I didn't go around saying "who's DaBruinz" ;) Great game, though, had a good time.

*chuckle* You may have. I didn't go around asking who was BelichickFan, either. :p

patchick said:

Here's a fact that is totally overlooked..until now. It MAY indeed, be very significant..in college to NFL kicking and yet..the first I have heard of it!! WHy haven't any of the draft sights mentioned this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back