PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss' mini camp notes [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss' mini camp notes

And yeah, who knew titanium breaks like that?

When the unstoppable force hits the imovable object somethings got to give. And that type of contact happens on the football field.

Last edited:
Re: Update from Rookie Mini camp

I will break you

Well, if he dyed his hair blonde. . . . :D

rocky1a.jpg

mdrago.jpg

Last edited:

Woo Hoo, a big can of Mayo hits someone :

"Mayo nearly took someone’s head off making a stop in the 7-on-7 drill, which just got started."

Interesting that Wilhite has flashed a few times. Barring further injury I am very optimistic about Wheatley but Wilhite seems to be looking good too.

Interesting that Wilhite has flashed a few times. Barring further injury I am very optimistic about Wheatley but Wilhite seems to be looking good too.

Bill Belichick, Scott Pioli, and Dean Peas all checked out Wilhite

at Auburn before he was drafted. This is why I don't believe what the

naysayers say about him.

Reiss on Afternoon practice, same link :

FOXBOROUGH -- Here are five nuggets/observations from this afternoon's hour-long practice at Patriots rookie minicamp, which was held inside the Dana-Farber Field House and was a padless session:

1) Wilhite makes play of the day. One pre-draft scouting report indicated that fourth-round CB Jonathan Wilhite has "stone hands" while pointing out his low total of three career interceptions. Yet Wilhite didn't fit that profile over the first two sessions today. He made arguably the play of the afternoon practice, running stride for stride with a tryout-receiver in 7-on-7 drills down the left side of the field. He perfectly timed the turn of his head as the ball arrived, tipped the ball away, and caught it while landing on his back. Wilhite looked a bit winded by the end of practice, but that's probably because the cornerbacks seemed to do the most running in the session. He had an INT in each practice today, making a strong first impression.

2) Communication in focus. One of the main teaching points of the practice seemed to be geared toward the linebackers, and how they communicate and react when the offensive formation shifts. Jerod Mayo continued to work on the weakside, with Bo Ruud on the strongside. Shawn Crable and Vince Redd worked on the outside, with Gary Guyton working at both the inside and outside spots at times.

3) O'Connell: Getting a feel for under center. As the lone quarterback in camp, third-round pick Kevin O'Connell took all the throws. Earlier in the day, he explained that he spent a lot of time in the shotgun at San Diego State, so spending more time under center was an adjustment that he continued to feel better about as practice progressed. On the plus side, it's easy to see that O'Connell has the arm strength to make on-time throws toward the sideline. On the other side of the ledger, his accuracy was a bit sporadic.

4) TE Stupar makes diving grab, and snaps to it. Tight end Jonathan Stupar, who signed as a rookie free agent, made a nice diving grab over the middle early in practice. Then, when special teams coach Brad Seely called on the punt team, Stupar was long snapping. While Stupar remains a longer shot to earn a roster spot, such versatility should at least help his cause.

5) Scouts in the house. The sidelines were a bit more crowded than normal, as members of the team's scouting staff watched both practices. In some ways, it is probably a rewarding time for the scouts, as they bounced around from campus to campus over the last year, and they now finally get to see the players working with their team's coaches. The linkage between the scouts and coaches also helps when the scouts head back on the road for early preparations for the 2009 draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Way too early on anything but I'm hoping Slater becomes some kind of great special teamer who can also 'pinch hit' aka Troy Brown at both WR & CB only IF (god forbid) necessary due to another 2003 (or was 2004 worst?) type of injury season (losing the top 3 CBs)....Now I hae myself for bringing that 'injury season' up! Just ignore this and it won't happen! (the injuries)

I figured it was only a matter of time, so . . .

imustbreaku128543434469gy8.jpg

:D

I think Slater is indeed the perfect Player 53, the utility player who can play several positions, as Troy did. It seems that he has Aiken (and Eckel) to beat out for a roster spot.

Way too early on anything but I'm hoping Slater becomes some kind of great special teamer who can also 'pinch hit' aka Troy Brown at both WR & CB only IF (god forbid) necessary due to another 2003 (or was 2004 worst?) type of injury season (losing the top 3 CBs)....Now I hae myself for bringing that 'injury season' up! Just ignore this and it won't happen! (the injuries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back