PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Meriweather locked in at free safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Notice anything different? Merriweather is finally a FS according to Reiss. This is the first step in solidifying the secondary as Merriweather has been out of position for the last two years. In addition, I think the Pats are planning on Chung taking over at SS. It's the last paragraph under quick hits 6/20.

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
Re: Reiss: Merriweather locked in a free safety

Notice anything different? Merriweather is finally a FS according to Reiss. This is the first step in solidifying the secondary as Merriweather has been out of position for the last two years. In addition, I think the Pats are planning on Chung taking over at SS. It's the last paragraph under quick hits 6/20.

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Not yet. McGowen and Sanders are there until McGowen breaks down like he did last year (God love his headhunting mentality :)) Then it's a question of whether it's safe to play someone green like Chung over Sanders in a relatively young secondary.

Not yet. McGowen and Sanders are there until McGowen breaks down like he did last year (God love his headhunting mentality :)) Then it's a question of whether it's safe to play someone green like Chung over Sanders in a relatively young secondary.

As far as I've seen, Chung has been playing SS with the first team so far.

I assume this was the plan all along. Unless he secretly sucks, I expect Chung to start opening day at SS.

Safety is going to be an interesting training camp roster battle. Barring injury there's almost no question who makes the 53-man roster, but there's definitely a question as to what percentage of snaps each of the four players will get once the regular season begins.

O don't see this as much of a big deal as I kind think all four guys can play both strong and free...Each has their strengths as it pertains to the two but I think they all can play both.

I think the best athletes in the group are Merriweather and Chung and as long as they can get it down mentally they are the two starters. Sanders will be the key back up if they mentally can't and I think McGowan is lowest in the peking order (no knock on him though).

I've always seen Meriweather as a FS. He just doesn't have the bulk or hitting power to be the SS for me. The only question is whether or not Chung can overtake Sanders or McGowan to earn more minutes at the SS spot. I think it's a matter of when, not if. The Pats appeared to be very high on Chung when they took him with their first pick in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes