PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Mankins demands trade, will not sign RFA tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any other team get as much grief as the Pats when they have contract issues with their players?

It is not a good trend to see quality veterans leaving the team on such bad terms. I know the players know it's a business but it seems like the Pats deal with their own more harshly than other teams...or it gets more press coverage than other teams.

Re: Reiss with bad news on Mankins

Except for the fact that whenever the Pats save money, they usually don't spend it all. Remember when Brady took a hometown discount when he signed his big contract only to see that his WRs were Caldwell and Gaffney.

Only because Deion wanted out of his contract unless he got paid way more than they believed, correctly, he was worth. They don't ask Tommy to take a discount so they can overpay some other shmuck... They ask him to do that so they can pay other guys what they really deserve, including even role players and quality backups... And when they had a WR universally believed to be worth $9M looking for an extension, they gave it to him.

I'm trusting that from the plethora of OL on the current roster, the Patriots will install at Left Guard a nasty, relentless, mauler of an SOB, to replace the inconsistent, overrated, 'laughing on the bench while my team is losing' SOB that's on the fast train out of town.

QB12

Last edited:
put it this way, I'd bet he's of higher moral fiber than the head coach of the pats

So in other words, you have no evidence of Mankins as a high character guy as you stated. You just pulled it out of thin air. Right. Go it. I didn't expect much more from a Jets fan.

So, does this mean he's most likely gone? :mad:

Anyone got a percentage?

One of the things Brady said in his early May interview on WEEI that he was happy to see guys that 'wanted to be here,' and that 'wanted to be a Patriot.'

I broached drafting his replacement in April and was met with guffaws... If Bill and this organization have a weakness it's in not getting a realistic read on some of these guys intentions while there is still time to trade their ass and replace them via the current draft.

OK, but to make this accusation work you have to name names. As I recall, this draft was dramatically thin on top-flight Pats-style LG candidates -- which is to say, highly athletic and technically sound but undersized college LTs. Who would you have drafted to start day 1, and who would you have subtracted from the Pats' draft to get him?

This is like Deion Branch all over again. The punk decides to hold the team hostage after the draft/bulk of FA at a position on the team that is going to be in poor shape given he gets traded. Bloody crooks

Now I have to decide which jersey to get on the cheap ... do I buy a Thomas jersey now, or wait a bit and get a Mankins one for $10 ...

Assuming the contract offer of $7 mil per year is legit, I just lost a lot of respect for Mankins. Seems to me that an offer that puts you in the top 5 for your position is "taking care of you". Not sure where he gets off saying the Patriots lied to him.

Thing is the one team you dont play hardball with is the NEP. Who'd take him, Denver? And what for?

Shame for Mankins. Never struck me as the type but if its all about the money then I guess thats that

Light at LT and Kazcur at LG. Brady will last 2 weeks

St. Louis would take him. They just lost their LG and have a brand new, zillion dollar QB to protect. A player, like, C. Long LB/DE and a 2nd. Another would be we exchange 1st round picks. Maybe Steven Jackson (still recovering from a disc operation ..... Eeeek!) and a 2nd.

OK, but to make this accusation work you have to name names. As I recall, this draft was dramatically thin on top-flight Pats-style LG candidates -- which is to say, highly athletic and technically sound but undersized college LTs. Who would you have drafted to start day 1, and who would you have subtracted from the Pats' draft to get him?

Top flight LG candidates who were highly athletic and technically sound but undersized college LT's?? Where'd you get that detailed profile from...the Mankins drafting?? Some of us have been jonesing for upgraded guard, tackle and/or center talent for a couple of seasons now. This season I was hoping they would use their first on Pouncey as both Mankins and Koppen insurance and eventually Koppen's replacement. Bill had other priorities. If not I was hoping for Asamoah with our late 2nd or if we traded back into the third. Pioli grabbed him early there. I'd feel a lot better waving to Logan in exchange for a 2011 draft pick had we nabbed either one of them. I just hope we have one bad ass secondary and a pass rush when all is said and done and those TE's can all block and catch like a mother...

They need a replacement or Brady will get killed.

Time to trade the guy. Guards are a dime a dozen. We will forget about this guy in year when they find his replacement. Dude's a moron for turning down that money.

Time to trade the guy. Guards are a dime a dozen. We will forget about this guy in year when they find his replacement. Dude's a moron for turning down that money.

unless he can get more somewhere else.

St. Louis would take him. They just lost their LG and have a brand new, zillion dollar QB to protect. A player, like, C. Long LB/DE and a 2nd. Another would be we exchange 1st round picks. Maybe Steven Jackson (still recovering from a disc operation ..... Eeeek!) and a 2nd.
Chris Long would take care of that RDE position for the Patriots you know... ;) Pie in the sky though as there's no way they trade a former number 2 pick for Mankins.

Last edited:
unless he can get more somewhere else.
Then let him have the money and the Pats will get a draft pick (or two) for him. Guards aren't hard to replace. Compton (nobody special) was easily replaced by a wrestler and Andruzzi (who was awful his first few years in the NFL) was replaced by a reach in 2005 (Mankins). The point is, I wouldn't be shocked if Mankins replacement is already on the roster.

So in other words, you have no evidence of Mankins as a high character guy as you stated. You just pulled it out of thin air. Right. Go it. I didn't expect much more from a Jets fan.

did mankins cheat on his wife?

is your answer for everything you don't like to hear to call someone a jets fan? are you really that pathetic?

Last edited:

Except for the fact that whenever the Pats save money, they usually don't spend it all. Remember when Brady took a hometown discount when he signed his big contract only to see that his WRs were Caldwell and Gaffney.

The Patriots have had winning seasons since 2001. I'm not going to figure their winning percentage, but it's ridiculous and includes three rings. Some of their core has aged, so they made 24 picks in the last two years. They tied up their two vital players on defense, who were sought after free agents.

You've decided they should spend more. BTW, Branch was under contract, not their fault. They still got a first rounder, and saved a huge contract on a player that hasn't done much since.

I'll give BB and the F.O. the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.

Then let him have the money and the Pats will get a draft pick (or two) for him. Guards aren't hard to replace. Compton (nobody special) was easily replaced by a wrestler and Andruzzi (who was awful his first few years in the NFL) was replaced by a reach in 2005 (Mankins). The point is, I wouldn't be shocked if Mankins replacement is already on the roster.

There's a lot of bodies who play guard and or center, and the unknowns are draft picks, not UDFA.

I'll give BB and the F.O. the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.
I've seen people on this board make the argument that Branch and Givens in '06 would've sealed the deal in Indy and possibly won another super bowl. I can't disagree with that.
There's a lot of bodies who play guard and or center, and the unknowns are draft picks, not UDFA.
I don't get it, what's you point?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back