PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Mankins demands trade, will not sign RFA tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
His anger is misplaced.

The collective bargaining agreement screwed him over, not the Patriots. He lost his leverage, same as all the other RFAs who would have been UFAs if we were working under a new CBA. So in part he can blame the Patriots ALONG WITH EVERY OTHER NFL TEAM and with his OWN PLAYER'S ASSOCIATION!

He also from his own comments doesn't appear to understand that the UPCOMING year is the one uncapped. Not the sharpest pencil in the pencilbox, for sure.

What a disappointment...

We'll only get the mudslinging from Mankins. There are two sides to this story and we'll only hear one of them. I find it interesting that Mankins' agent basically had no comment, yet we still found out that the money was 80% of Evans' deal.

I guess what we're seeing here is simply a real firm stance from the Patriots in sticking to their own value estimations. Perhaps Mankins views himself as the best G in the league, which B.B. may disagree with, or perhaps the Patriots simply do not feel that they "get good value" with paying 8M for a G when some of that $$ invariably went into signing Wilfork because he's worth more to the team in the front office's point of view.

Regardless, I don't understand what about the Patriots' actions has lead them to not be holding up their word.

Lets rape Davis in another deal

His anger is misplaced.

The collective bargaining agreement screwed him over, not the Patriots. He lost his leverage, same as all the other RFAs who would have been UFAs if we were working under a new CBA. So in part he can blame the Patriots ALONG WITH EVERY OTHER NFL TEAM and with his OWN PLAYER'S ASSOCIATION!

He also from his own comments doesn't appear to understand that the UPCOMING year is the one uncapped. Not the sharpest pencil in the pencilbox, for sure.

What a disappointment...

you are wrong. the patriots were one of the teams who voted to end the past CBA. so they are indeed responsible partly for this situation.

interesting that they would blow off a high character guy like mankins. the team needs more guys like him not fewer.

We'll only get the mudslinging from Mankins. There are two sides to this story and we'll only hear one of them. I find it interesting that Mankins' agent basically had no comment, yet we still found out that the money was 80% of Evans' deal.

I guess what we're seeing here is simply a real firm stance from the Patriots in sticking to their own value estimations. Perhaps Mankins views himself as the best G in the league, which B.B. may disagree with, or perhaps the Patriots simply do not feel that they "get good value" with paying 8M for a G when some of that $$ invariably went into signing Wilfork because he's worth more to the team in the front office's point of view.

Regardless, I don't understand what about the Patriots' actions has lead them to not be holding up their word.

the pats believed they would either get away with lowballing him or he would simply play for the RFA tender. the F.O. did not learn a thing from the deion branch fiasco and another decent player is going to shoot his way out of town leaving the OL pretty much in shambles.

Last edited:
you are wrong. the patriots were one of the teams who voted to end the past CBA. so they are indeed responsible partly for this situation.

interesting that they would blow off a high character guy like mankins. the team needs more guys like him not fewer.

What makes you think Mankins is a high character guy? I've always liked Mankins but not because I thought he was a good guy. Just the opposite really.

Re: Reiss with bad news on Mankins

I'm saying that Mankins' agent was using the Evans contract as the comparison, and the purported Patriots' offer of 20% less than said contract would be lowballing in comparison to said contract. Whether the amount is sensible is irrelevant to my post.

Low-balling is representative of the price of what is offered is to it's relative value in the current market. For example, if one ****** buys a new car for 150%, the next person offering 130% of what the car is worth is not low balling. If you use only the last person to buy something as the measuring stick, vs the massive number before said person, you're not looking at the whole picture. Pretty basic ****, even for high school freshmen. This alone makes it relevant to your post, since you used the term low-balling.

Since a rediculous offer was made to a much better guard than Mankins, 20% less than that offer is not even close to low-balling. So since you're claiming it is low-balling, I just hope the uninformed viewing population doesn't take your perspective seriously.... which is the sole purpose of my post. I don't want the new folks' perceptions being swayed by something as silly as post count. I wouldn't try to lift a sky scraper, just as I wouldn't try to change your mind, but I will take time to stem the flow of propoganda when the oportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

You should actually read what the poster wrote before calling him wrong and then go on to state what he had already stated in the post you quoted. :cool:

the pats believed they would either get away with lowballing him or he would simply play for the RFA tender. the F.O. did not learn a thing from the deion branch fiasco and another decent player is going to shoot his way out of town leaving the OL pretty much in shambles.

"shoot his way out of town?" lol. He's got next to zero leverage. He's going to end up either sitting the whole year or playing very pissed off for a very pissed off team and fanbase. Either way, he's going to lose a bunch of money in the long run.

On the other hand....the risk for the Patriots is that he plays and at some point "forgets to block" a 260 pound Ray Lewis type who wants to tear Brady's head off. So yeah, you're right--maybe they better trade his sorry a**.

Don't let the door hit you ont he way out, Logan. Shoulda kept yer trap shut.

It's like Deion Branch all over again. You'd think these guys would learn...

Which guys? Branch did fine when he screwed the patriots.

Branch had time left on his contract. Mankins has none.

It's like Deion Branch all over again. You'd think these guys would learn...

Low-balling is representative of the price of what is offered is to it's relative value in the current market. For example, if one ****** buys a new car for 150%, the next person offering 130% of what the car is worth is not low balling. If you use only the last person to buy something as the measuring stick, vs the massive number before said person, you're not looking at the whole picture. Pretty basic ****, even for high school freshmen. This alone makes it relevant to your post, since you used the term low-balling.

Actually, since I noted that it was specifically in comparison to Evans' deal, your comments here are as completely irrelevant, as well as being wrong, presicely because of the specific comparison.

Since a rediculous offer was made to a much better guard than Mankins, 20% less than that offer is not even close to low-balling. So since you're claiming it is low-balling, I just hope the uninformed viewing population doesn't take your perspective seriously.... which is the sole purpose of my post. I don't want the new folks' perceptions being swayed by something as silly as post count. I wouldn't try to lift a sky scraper, just as I wouldn't try to change your mind, but I will take time to stem the flow of propoganda when the oportunity presents itself.

1.) Evans is not a "much better guard" than Mankins. Mankins has his problems, but he's still a top level guard. A 20% drop in the amount of money is a lowball offer in comparison, pretty much by definition:

to give a markedly or unfairly low offer

Lowball - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

2.) The viewing population isn't uninformed if they've gotten to this point in the thread. You're simply wrong.

3.) You apparently don't know the definition of propaganda any better than you understand the words "in comparison to said contract". Perhaps rather than making it personal next time, you should just consult a dictionary and an English textbook.

Yup, for fans here Mankins is at fault for not signing whatever contract the patriots put in front of him.

You seem to be under the misguided impression that he's not received a contract offer from the Patriots. He has.. And he turned it down. It's not been mentioned whther or not they sent a counter, but the impression I got was that they didn't.

Yes, I can blame the player for not signing the tender. It's easy.. He wouldn't be in this siutation if he had signed the contract offer he was given. So, I have no sympathy for him. And this ploy of his to try and paint the Patriots in a bad light does nothing but show him to be the issue. Not the Patriots.

This is a Samule situation. Let's just negotiate a one-year contract and move on.

Mankins is digging himself into a hole that will be very hard for him to get out of. As its been said already, he's got no leverage here. And without the Pats saying one single word on the matter (not that we thought they would) Mankins is looking like a money hungry baby or just an outright lier. Just simply look at his own words and that of his agent.

Mankins: "After the 2008 season, me and my agent approached the Patriots about an extension and I was told that Mr. Kraft did not want to do an extension because of the [uncertain collective bargaining agreement]," Mankins said. "I was asked to play '09 out, and that they would address the contract during the uncapped year. I'm a team player, I took them at their word, and I felt I played out an undervalued contract. That's the big thing," he continued. "Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."

If I am not mistaken the uncapped season began sometime in Febuary. Well to me, it looks like the Pats are doing what they said they would, if according to Mankins agent, they already offered him a contract before any mandatory camps have begun and only a few months into the off season. That seems to be "addressing" his contract durng the uncapped year. Its obvious that Mankins and his agent are not happy with what the Pats are offering. Which is fine, if he believes he is worth more, that his choice. But dont give us a bunch of crap about the Pats not having principle not keeping there word. Looks like its Mankins and his agent who are doing that.

I know they wont, but I would like to see the Pats go on the offensive here and give details about the negotiations. You know the media (4 letter network) will spin this as the Pats being cheap and disrespectful of their players.

Im starting to wonder if Mankins agent is either not being honest with Mankins or has contacted other teams about what they would give Manking is he was an UFA and that is what is causing the hard feeling with the Pats and their offer.

Last edited:
during the uncapped year, as far as im concerned the uncapped year is still going on

Reiss:

So roughly $6.5M a year is what the Patriots are offering. I'll admit that does seem low.

I don't think it seems low. If he doesn't sign the tender he'll be making ALOT less than that once they reduce his pay. Typical BS from a player who thinks he's better than he is.

He's a jerk! I'd rather have him sit out the year, and get fined all year, so that the year costs him money. I highly doubt we're going to miss an overrated guard.

Go back to the farm Logie.

Yup, for fans here Mankins is at fault for not signing whatever contract the patriots put in front of him.

Is that really where you think people are faulting Mankins? I think fans here would be fine with him if he just kept his mouth shut and continued to negotiate behind the scenes. Speaking out buys him nothing.

No, but it is Mankins' fault for being a dumb ass in what he said in his statement. Mankins accused the Patriots of LYING for not addressing his contract when Breer has a source saying they offered him about $7M a year. If that's not enough, fine, but that's clearly addressing his contract. Note to dumb people - don't open your mouth because it shows your intelligence level. Had the Patriots promised to give him a better and longer contract than any other OG then maybe he'd have a point.

This is a Samule situation. Let's just negotiate a one-year contract and move on.
No thanks. I prefer the Seymour/Branch path. Trade him for something good. I would like to have Mankins next year but not at the expense of promising to let him go for a comp pick the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes