PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Mankins demands trade, will not sign RFA tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss with bad news on Mankins

Rob, they certainly have escalated faster than most other positions in the last couple years.

Maybe because they are finally starting to catch up with the escalations of other positions..

Reiss:

So roughly $6.5M a year is what the Patriots are offering. I'll admit that does seem low.

That doesn't seem low to me AT ALL.

I don't care about the Saints overpaying.

This sucks. Mankins is an outstanding (and young) part of an OL that is old by NFL standards. He should have been an anchor of that line for the next six or seven years. He protects the blind side of the Franchise, who was only sacked 16 times last year. I really don't think this is a guy we want to or can lose.

There's really no way to sugar coat it or make it go away by getting mad at him. It sucks. It's not good. And, I'm not claiming to be inside Tom Brady's head, but it's not good for him either.

According to ProFootballFocus.com, Mankins has given up 6 sacks in the last 4 playoff games, with at least 1 in each game. I honestly don't think Joe Andruzzi during our Super Bowl years would have surrendered that many sacks.

Straight up for dumervil

Tough ****, Logan. He can either sign the tender or sit.

What happens if he doesn't sign and they don't trade him? Does he basically remain Patriots property for next year as well?

I could see the Patriots make an example of him and just make him sit until he comes back to the table.

Rob, they certainly have escalated faster than most other positions in the last couple years.

Yup, ever since Minnesota threw a mountain of money at Steve Hutchinson, guard salaries have been skyrocketing.

Look at all the other players who signed their tenders today. None of them flamed their organizations and demanded to be traded.
After the very pointed comments he made this afternoon, I don't see how he can ever play for the Pats again.
This just seems so unnecessary!

All I can say is that I'm very dissapointed. I think it's ridiculous that Mankins is dragging the F.O. through the dirt based on the CBA situation which is out of their control. It's guys like him, Seymour, and Ass-ante that piss me off. One minute their preaching the "patriot way" and then the next second when any sort of contractual turmoil ensues, they turn around and bite the hand that fed them. It's a goddamm joke. Well Logan, let's look at how your predecessors have faired: Seymour is rotting in Oakland and Ass-ante is part of a team that will only go as far as the NFC title game EVERY SINGLE POST-SEASON!!!! (In other words, neither will win another SB ring, but that's something you don't have, now is it?) And you know what the best part is? Dante will simply help us find another guy who can play just as good if not better than Mankins in the second or third round of the 2011 draft. Either Mankins soldiers the fucck up and plays through this season, or we trade him to a piss-poor small market team (KC or Denver) and he can watch his career rot at the tune of $8 mil per year under some team that is run by former Patriots associates trying desperately to be like us but never will. Basically, fucck you Mankins. Don't let the door hit you on your fat ass or your scummy lumberjack beard on the way out!:mad:

Look at all the other players who signed their tenders today. None of them flamed their organizations and demanded to be traded.
After the very pointed comments he made this afternoon, I don't see how he can ever play for the Pats again.
This just seems so unnecessary!

Meh, no different than Law. He played later that season.

What happens if he doesn't sign and they don't trade him? Does he basically remain Patriots property for next year as well?

I could see the Patriots make an example of him and just make him sit until he comes back to the table.

Basically. The Patriots own his rights, and it's too late for anyone to just sign him to an offer sheet.

If the Patriots don't get an offer they like, they can just make him sit. OTOH, it's not clear what a new CBA might do (it might make him a UFA or it might keep him an RFA).

And when I broached drafting his replacement back in April as insurance everyone said that was ridiculous...

This cowboy never struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed, but it turns out he not only can't see straight he's dumber than those cows he wrestles... 2010 is the uncapped year... Traveling 3000 miles and lying in the weeds for two weeks just so he could call Kraft a liar...and deliver an FU message in person.

If he doesn't sign his tender it gets reduced to the point that if he holds out until week 10 he nets $400K while still risking injury for several weeks in that process of getting his year of service credited. He will never make up the money he looses on this deal even if there isn't a lockout in 2011. And if there is he may never again see an offer approaching what they've offered him.

This is why they didn't pay him what he expected. Not smart enough to grasp leverage let alone talented enough to warrant a top tier deal and not remotely a team leader.

And after what happened when Branch demanded to be traded, I'm not sure Bill will go that route again. They didn't really gain anything that season by moving out a distraction... In fact that likely was the nexus of Asante's holdout. You catch more flies with honey around here. Piss them off and they no longer have any reason to pay you at all.

this is the way i see it...please correct me if i'm in error..

- the patriots will have his rights either way - tender, new contract, or he doesn't sign & sits.

- if he sits for the year he will not be accruing a year towards his retirement or years played.

- depending if there is a new cba or not, he most likely be in the same boat as he is in this year.

- mankins doesn't have much leverage excepts make a lot of noice, which he is doing now.

All I can say is that I'm very dissapointed. I think it's ridiculous that Mankins is dragging the F.O. through the dirt based on the CBA situation which is out of their control.

The owners voted for the CBA. The owners voted, unanimously, to opt out of the CBA. This year is the result of that opt out. To claim that this is something out of the F.O.'s control is simply wrong. The owners had the power to avoid this, and they chose not to. Right or wrong, they certainly did have the control.

It's guys like him, Seymour, and Ass-ante that piss me off. One minute their preaching the "patriot way" and then the next second when any sort of contractual turmoil ensues, they turn around and bite the hand that fed them. It's a goddamm joke. Well Logan, let's look at how your predecessors have faired: Seymour is rotting in Oakland and Ass-ante is part of a team that will only go as far as the NFC title game EVERY SINGLE POST-SEASON!!!!

Seymour had a quiet holdout years ago. He's been franchised, which means that he'll be making huge coin this year. Samuel's contract means he'll be making huge coin. As for the post season, the Patriots have missed it once and been bounced in the wild card round once, in the two seasons since Samuel was traded. I'm not sure tossing around the postseason argument is where you want to take this, given recent history.

Dante will simply help us find another guy who can play just as good if not better than Mankins in the second or third round of the 2011 draft.

Really? What left guard has Dante made better than Mankins during the BB era?

To say you went over the top would be an understatement on my part.

Last edited:
Eh, 6-7M per year is what I would have offered Mankins, so it looks like the Patriots were pretty close to what I predicted they would have offered him a few months back. The fact that he didn't take it kind of sucks because he is, or was, the best lineman on the team. In time, Vollmer might have taken that title from him, but that would be in time. Hopefully, Kaczur is ready to fill in.

This kind of stuff happens every off-season these days with almost every team. You can't please everyone and field a competiitive team, look at the Jets with Revis right now. It's perennial.

I am shocked by this, but I can't help think what a d**k!

I actually hope we trade with some team that suck, so he has no chance of contending. I think money has got to his head, and doesn't care for winning.:mad:

Mankins has long been suspected of having, and today the diagnosis was confirmed: an acute case of Samuels-Seymour syndrome. Only known treatment is strict isolation from Gillette. Prognosis is Poor.

Last edited:
Mankins has been diagnosed with an acute case of Samuels' disease. Only known treatment is isolation from Gillette stadium.
Bye bye....6.5 an insult?? GO ****** a steer out there...lost all respect for you.!!!

(what can we get for him?)

I'm guessing a 2nd, thats what I would give for him if I were another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down