PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Mankins demands trade, will not sign RFA tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss with bad news on Mankins

Yikes...I hope this is him just very frustrated...

Looks like the Nick Kaczur to LG era is upon us.

What does everybody think we can get for Mankins?

Last edited:

Looks like the Nick Kaczur to RG era is upon us.

What does everybody think we can get for Mankins?

A first rounder in 2015 and a bag of footballs :D For those who cant tell this is a joke.

I can't believe how bummed I am about this. Here's to hoping Kaczur is a better LG than he is a RT...

No offense, Logan, but take it up with the NFLPA. The players weren't complaining when the CBA bumped the cap up to over $120 million dollars, after all. I absolutely agree that the RFAs are getting hosed, and there's probably been collusion, but the "trade me" stuff doesn't score points with me. You'd only be moving on to another team that was colluding to keep salaries down, after all.

Last edited:

No offense, Logan, but take it up with the NFLPA. The players weren't complaining when the CBA bumped the cap up to over $120 million dollars, after all. I absolutely agree that the RFAs are getting hosed, and there's probably been collusion, but the "trade me" stuff doesn't score points with me. You'd only be moving on to another team that was colluding to keep salaries down, after all.

Still though, it sucks that he's asking to be traded. What do you think of Kaczur at guard, Deus?

Damn that hurts. I was actually semi-excited about how the line was shaping up. Think he gets swapped for picks or a player if he's moved?

MikeReiss

On Logan Mankins, I should have noted that Logan Mankins does NOT plan to sign his restricted free agent tender. 3 minutes ago via Echofon

Thing is the one team you dont play hardball with is the NEP. Who'd take him, Denver? And what for?

Shame for Mankins. Never struck me as the type but if its all about the money then I guess thats that

Light at LT and Kazcur at LG. Brady will last 2 weeks

Still though, it sucks that he's asking to be traded. What do you think of Kaczur at guard, Deus?

I've been suggesting it as a possibility for a couple of years. I generally thought of it as a possible Neal replacement, though, not a Mankins replacement. Kaczur takes more heat than he should from the fan base, but he is a weaker link on the line, and moving him inside would make his greatest weakness (wide lateral movement) much less of an issue.

Last edited:

Don't let the door hit you.

What a load of crap this trade demand is.
He should be suing the PA for agreeing to this situation in an uncapped year.
Who in their right mind is going to trade anything worthwhile for a guard who is expecting to be paid 8 million a year from his new team.
This makes me so mad that I can barely see straight!

The way I see it ... every year almost every team will have 1 premier player who is unhappy. So this year it is Mankins, and other teams have their guys also. Looking at it internally it seems like bad news ... but every team has this problem in some stage of the process. Belichick already has it factored in ... and he factors it in at least 1 year in advance.

I'm not worried. Mankins may have played every game but he has seriously slowed down. He is not an effective downfield blocker ... he has warts in his game and he can be replaced. Belichick already knows who it will be. Larsen signed his contract early for a reason IMO.

Last edited:

Reiss:
Mankins would not provide details of negotiations, or what he is seeking financially in a contract. His agent, Frank Bauer, also declined to discuss details, although revealed that the main reason a deal hasn't been reached is that the Patriots' final offer is "20 percent lower than Jahri Evans' deal with the Saints.

So roughly $6.5M a year is what the Patriots are offering. I'll admit that does seem low.

Thing is the one team you dont play hardball with is the NEP. Who'd take him, Denver? And what for?

Shame for Mankins. Never struck me as the type but if its all about the money then I guess thats that

The Broncos just drafted for the position, and they seem happy enough with the rookies that they've got 2 of them running with the first team. The Chiefs would make more sense, if you're looking at sending him to someone in the BB tree. Brian Waters to Logan Mankins would be a huge upgrade.

However, the idea begs the question: if the Patriots/BB won't pay Mankins, why would the Chiefs/Pioli do it?

Last edited:

:confused:

So.... this is your first year following the Patriots?

I don't blame Mankins or any of the other RFA for being pissed or holding out (Revis, Jackson, etc.). They are getting screwed, and whether it is the NFLPA's fault or not they need to take care of themselves.

If Mankins gets injured, he will never see the big contract he would be getting this year if he was a true free agent. If I were in his position, I think I might be playing hardball as well. Just look at Leon Washington with the Jets.

Apparently, according to Reiss, Mankins is mad because he feels the Pats promised him they would deal with is contract this offseason. He claims his agent approached them about a contract a year ago, and he was told if he played out 2009 they would deal with him. He thinks they broke his word to him. He says their contract offer was for 20% less than Jhari Evans recent extension with the Saints.

I not really blaming the Pats, because they have a right to sign who they want. I don't blame Mankins either, because like a lot of the other RFA he is getting screwed by the CBA not being extended. I just hope it works out.

I've been suggesting it as a possibility for a couple of years. I generally thought of it as a possible Neal replacement, though, not a Mankins replacement. Kaczur takes more heat than he should from the fan base, but he is a weaker link on the line, and moving him inside would make his greatest weakness (wide lateral movement) much less of an issue.

This. Kaczur at LG would be fine, he can swing anyway. Not sure what we'd get for Mankins, but whatever. Maybe Revis... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes