PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Lesson can be learned from Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that if Sanchez didn't struggle with interceptions during the middle of the season, the Jets would have won the division.

If Brett Favre had stayed this year, you have to wonder how many wins they would have had?

if ifs and buts were candy and nuts. If Welker didn't get hurt, if Galloway was any good, if Mayo didn't get hurt, if if if

I would say that if Sanchez didn't struggle with interceptions during the middle of the season, the Jets would have won the division.

If Brett Favre had stayed this year, you have to wonder how many wins they would have had?

If the Patriots offense could have strung together a couple more 10-play drives in the second halves of their losses, they could have gone 14-2.

Last edited:
Re: Reiss:Lesson can be learned from Jets

Any reasonable breakdown of the two defenses this year would show a clearly superior Jets squad. The 2009 Patriots would have been able to place only 3 of their players (Wilfork, Warren, Meriweather) in the Jets starting rotation. The other 8 spots, including every linebacker position, would have gone to the Jets*. All the cries of "Coaching! Scheme!" won't change the reality of personnel.

* Note that I'm referring to those who were available for most of the season. That means post-injury Mayo rather than pre-injury, and it means Jennings would be out of the discussion.

lol nope, your telling me that Jim Leohnard is better than Sanders or McGowan, no hes not, hes making plays in a defense that lets loose and puts heat on the qb forcing them to make a quick decision. If the Jets get you in third and long your in deep sh*t because they are going to bring the house forcing you to dump the ball off. Ty Warren and Jerod Mayo could probably start for the Jets as well, he had 24 less tackles than harris and he played less games. Adalius Thomas flurished in the Ravens scheme when Ryan was there so I can see him starting over Thomas. TBC almost certainly starts over Thomas and Bodden starts over lito Sheppard.

lol nope, your telling me that Jim Leohnard is better than Sanders or McGowan, no hes not, hes making plays in a defense that lets loose and puts heat on the qb forcing them to make a quick decision. If the Jets get you in third and long your in deep sh*t because they are going to bring the house forcing you to dump the ball off. Ty Warren and Jerod Mayo could probably start for the Jets as well, he had 24 less tackles than harris and he played less games. Adalius Thomas flurished in the Ravens scheme when Ryan was there so I can see him starting over Thomas. TBC almost certainly starts over Thomas and Bodden starts over lito Sheppard.

I'm telling you that neither Sanders nor McGowan would be starters. Mayo of 2009 didn't have a prayer of starting for the 2009 Jets. I listed Warren as a starter. Thomas of 2009 wouldn't have had a prayer of starting for the 2009 Jets. TBC wouldn't have started over any member of the Jets, at any position, and Bodden would have been the nickel, if he could handle the position.

I'm telling you that neither Sanders nor McGowan would be starters. Mayo of 2009 didn't have a prayer of starting for the 2009 Jets. I listed Warren as a starter. Thomas of 2009 wouldn't have had a prayer of starting for the 2009 Jets. TBC wouldn't have started over any member of the Jets, at any position, and Bodden would have been the nickel, if he could handle the position.

Of course you're right. And it's only a maybe that Wilfork starts over Jenkins (I see you've smartened up and quit responding to that dolt emoney_33).

Last edited:

Of course you're right. And it's only a maybe that Wilfork starts over Jenkins (I see you've smartened up and quit responding to that dolt emoney_33).

When you can't handle facts, you fallback to the old saying "ignorance is bliss". Now run along troll.

He has written traitorous nonsense. I'm surprised he even has a job after this.

There isn't one thing the Jets are better at than the Pats. We beat them in every facet of the game, at every position, and especially at coaching. Our drafts have been spectacular, theirs abysmal. How dare he imply otherwise.

Tar? Feathers?

If they were to win the SuperBowl I would look forward to shoving it in Jets' faces that we are superior to them, after all we soundly trounced them in the latest game.

I'm not sure Mayo starts for them.

Injured Mayo wouldn't, but Mayo didn't start the year injured and we can't use injuries to compare talent, injuries are circumstantial.

CJ Spiller is my binky, but he may be gone long before our pick.

seriously, CJ spiller won't do squat with the line we have. The pats have to revamp their entire oline except for VOllmer. That's the number 1 priority.

the jets are a far more talented team than we are on both sides of the ball. they are young and will get better over the next 4-5 years. the pats have a long way to go to acquire that kind of talent. of course, it helps if you draft in the top 10 every year, but that's the way it is. i don't see the pats winning this division for a while.

Last edited:

Let me ask of you this, flip the script. How many Jets players would start on our defense? Revis, Harris or Scott, and Pace and Shuan Ellis. If I counted correctly that makes a max of 5 out of 11 and thats with benching Mayo. Your an Idiot if you think that Bodden isnt better than Dwight Lowery or Strickland. Its scheme, not overall superior talent.

Last edited:

seriously, CJ spiller won't do squat with the line we have. The pats have to revamp their entire oline except for VOllmer. That's the number 1 priority.

the jets are a far more talented team than we are on both sides of the ball. they are young and will get better over the next 4-5 years. the pats have a long way to go to acquire that kind of talent. of course, it helps if you draft in the top 10 every year, but that's the way it is. i don't see the pats winning this division for a while.

You get one Stallworth type of wideout, throw them on this team and make no other changes and the team gets 12-14 wins.

This team is nowhere close to being "far away" from the Jets in talent. The Jets fought to 9-7 with 2 teams laying down at the end of the year. The Jets may have a better overall defense than us but they are far far far from more talented on offense.

I can't disagree with anything you've said, except not winning the division for a while, as long as Brady is Brady (or 3/4 Brady as he was this year) and Belichick is still coaching this team, I would say we have at least an outside chance to win the Division again next year.

Last edited:
Are we going to spend the entire off-season trading in these "leadership, chemistry, identity" vague and intangible sports myths? We just went through a 16 game seasons worth of results where the Patriots had a greater points differential than their opponents, greater yardage differential than their opponents and better overall record than the Jets did.

All games are subject to outliers and unexpected results. The smaller sample size of data the greater likelihood that it can be anomolous. I mean, what is the probability that a team could play 2 games against 2 different opponents in 2 weeks and have both teams go 0 for 5 in FG attempts? It's extraordinarily unlikely. Than you factor that the results of those two games is victories by a combined number of points less than the sum total if those 5 FG's had been made.

That's just the playoffs. In a one game elimination format luck will factor in at some point. Sometimes it's not hugely significant, sometimes it's enormously so. I know that it's common to try to identify that with some sort of "quality", but that is pretty unproven and unfounded.

The Jets have spent the last few seasons building a win now team. They've spent heavily in Free Agency, they've traded picks to move up or acquire veterans, they've opened a window to try to win it all. And with that, 2 years in a row they've now been a game over .500 and have narrowly won 2 playoff games w/ bounces attached. Let's not make more of it than that.

^ I agree with that guy's comment.

You get one Stallworth type of wideout, throw them on this team and make no other changes and the team gets 12-14 wins.

This team is nowhere close to being "far away" from the Jets in talent. The Jets fought to 9-7 with 2 teams laying down at the end of the year. The Jets may have a better overall defense than us but they are far far far from more talented on offense.

Spiller is a jack of all trades. Good in open space, a battering ram, and a +YAC wideout.

I think the only lesson to be learned from the Jets is one we already knew - it takes a good team, getting hot at the right moment and having some breaks go your way (such as playing TWO teams resting their players to end your season) to make it far in the playoffs. The Pats just didn't have it this year. Maybe they will next year.

Spiller is a jack of all trades. Good in open space, a battering ram, and a +YAC wideout.

Yea I was commenting on the ridiculous comment that our entire OL was trash and needed revamping as well as the jets having a far more talented team than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back