Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

February 12, 2006
Law seeks $10m
Posted By: mreiss | Time: 07:32:06 AM

Former Patriots cornerback Ty Law told Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock that he's seeking around $10 million in guaranteed, bonus money in his next contract.

Such a figure, assuming another team would pay it, would mean Law's potential free-agent return to the Patriots is unlikely.

Law, in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, also said he expects the Jets to release him within the coming weeks.

With the Patriots attempting to negotiate higher-end contracts with Richard Seymour and Deion Branch within the next year, the team likely wouldn't invest such a high figure in Law.

As much as I like #24, Seymour and Branch are better value for this team. Good luck to Ty wherever he winds up.

Come on guys, did we really expect anything less? Ty Law is a business man. He's all about the money. There is nothing wrong with that, I don't blame him at all for trying to make as much money as he can. But I never believed that he would come back here for sentimental reasons. Unless the Patriots are willing to meet his demands, Law is not coming back here.

"We all gotta eat!"

He is all about the money..see him in KC or some other team..NOT here..I think the money can be more wisely spent..

He STILL wants tons of money I see. This guy may be a helluva football player, but he's no Tedy Bruschi.

No offense, but he has three Super Bowl rings, what else is left for him but the money? Would BB want him back?? I am not sure he would, if he thought Ty was worth the cash last year he would have made sure his offer to Ty was one that he couldn't refuse.....Besides, if Ty wanted to stay, he would have made the sacrifices BB wanted in order for him to stay here, like Tommy and Willie have done!!!

I would love to see him wind up with the Raiders......a perfect fit!

i never thought there were possibilities about one eventual Ty Law return in Patriot uniform - so: no surprise at all.

but: thks to him for what he has done in our uniform.

Last edited:
Early in Law's career shutting down a team's main receiver was crucial to victory. Offenses have changed alot since then, more diversification. Also Safties and Linebackers being so much more athletic aid in the pass defense game.

So, does any team really need to spend a huge amount of $$$ to have a shut-down corner? Correct me if i'm wrong but none of the final 4 teams this year made it there due to their shut down corner...they made it there with excellent QB's, RB's and LB's....Law is looking for an idiot to sign him....chances are it will be a wanna-be team if any at all.

Thanx for the memories TY

He'll love it in Oakland....... We should thank him for all the great plays and picks though.

If he can get it, good for him.

So Ty will ASK for about $5M per year over 4 years ($10 SB, salaries of say $1M,$2M,$3M,$4M). Why not?

So, he's asking for $6.5M a year for two years and $3.5M per year for two more years. He'll probably end up with less, or with a smaller bonus and a 3rd year option payment.

I'm sure we can find another Starks at $3.5M a year plus a 3rd rounder.

Let's see a Ty Law at $6.5M a year or a Starks at $3.5M???

Yup, we'd probably pass, too much bad blood.

mg,
Starks or Law? That's not a fair comparison.

The braintrust who brought us Vrabel, Dillon and Harrison are entitled to swing and miss every now and then. Donald Hayes and Steve Martin come to mind, too. But overall things have been pretty good on the personnel side of the equation.

Personally, I'm just fine going into the season with Samuel, Hobbs and Gay as our top three CBs, and Chad Scott off the bench. They are not HOFers, but they play solid as a unit against top notch competition, and collectively they earn less than half of what Law is looking for.

I trust Starks wont be back and we'll try a few more CB FA tryouts. Hopefully a few good 750K contracts, instead of one 6.5M humdinger.

well

mgteich said:
So Ty will ASK for about $5M per year over 4 years ($10 SB, salaries of say $1M,$2M,$3M,$4M). Why not?

So, he's asking for $6.5M a year for two years and $3.5M per year for two more years. He'll probably end up with less, or with a smaller bonus and a 3rd year option payment.

I'm sure we can find another Starks at $3.5M a year plus a 3rd rounder.

Let's see a Ty Law at $6.5M a year or a Starks at $3.5M???

Yup, we'd probably pass, too much bad blood.

I am sure i am in the minority here, but i wouldn't mind seeing what starks can do when he is healthy. Don't get me wrong; i almost tossed the tv a few times watching him--but if he was as injured as is being reported,,,,then why not give him a chance!

Starks was on IR. If he is not cut, and he doesn't come back, or is injured again, we will owe him his $3.5M salary.

mtbykr said:
I am sure i am in the minority here, but i wouldn't mind seeing what starks can do when he is healthy. Don't get me wrong; i almost tossed the tv a few times watching him--but if he was as injured as is being reported,,,,then why not give him a chance!

Last year, we thought we needed to bring in a top corner. Why do you think bb and pioli have changed their minds? the performance of Hobbs? I think not. I think we still will be looking for a top corner. It is a fair comparison. I think we should/will look for someone who has at least the potential that Starks had when we traded for him. You want to go into camp with Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Poteat (one $750K) and Chad Scott (two $750K's). I look for at least two more, one if Poole or Starks is back.

rookBoston said:
mg,
Starks or Law? That's not a fair comparison.

The braintrust who brought us Vrabel, Dillon and Harrison are entitled to swing and miss every now and then. Donald Hayes and Steve Martin come to mind, too. But overall things have been pretty good on the personnel side of the equation.

Personally, I'm just fine going into the season with Samuel, Hobbs and Gay as our top three CBs, and Chad Scott off the bench. They are not HOFers, but they play solid as a unit against top notch competition, and collectively they earn less than half of what Law is looking for.

I trust Starks wont be back and we'll try a few more CB FA tryouts. Hopefully a few good 750K contracts, instead of one 6.5M humdinger.

So...

Starks, if cut before June 1st will, according to my logic, have a $4.98 mil. cap savings. If not, he'll be have a $5.13 mil cap number in 2006.

Poole, if cut before June 1st will have a $1.51 mil. cap savings. If not, he'll have a $2.52 mil. cap number in 2006.

Chad Scott, now a free agent, had a $345 k cap figure last year ($655 k base - veteran's exemption).

Samuel has a $545 k cap number in 2006, with a $78 k cap hit if released.

Hobbs has a $482 k cap number in 2006, with a $660 k cap hit if released.

Poteat is an unrestricted free agent with a 2005 cap number of $455 k.

Gay is an exclusive rights free agent with a 2005 cap number of $313 k.

Spann will have a $235 k 2006 cap hit if retained on the roster with no cap hit if released.

Total 2006 cap number for CBs under 2006 roster = $8.912 mil.

If Poole is released = $7.4 mil. ( - $1.51 mil.)

If Spann doesn't make the roster = $7.2

If Poteat and Gay are then re-signed = ~ $8 mil.

----$8 mil. would leave the following as the roster:

Starks
Samuel
Hobbs
Gay
Poteat

Chad Scott could always be added at around $400 k. But if not, and Hawkins, G. Scott, and Stone are retained (leaving 6 safeties), there's no real need as Hawkins can play CB.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Last year, we thought we needed to bring in a top corner. Why do you think bb and pioli have changed their minds? the performance of Hobbs? I think not. I think we still will be looking for a top corner. It is a fair comparison. I think we should/will look for someone who has at least the potential that Starks had when we traded for him. You want to go into camp with Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Poteat (one $750K) and Chad Scott (two $750K's). I look for at least two more, one if Poole or Starks is back.
IMO, it is misleading to speak of the potential of Starks when he came here. He was not fully recovered from a knee injury, and tho he played more than he or his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, planned on, he still played poorly. In fact, he may have prevented his knee healing properly. Compounded with the shoulder problems, his play was detrimental to the team, regardless of the feeling of some who feel he should get a "good soldier" bye. Starks hasn't been a "top CB" since he played for the Ravens and some feel that defense masked his faults. Ty Poole was our #2 CB TWO years ago, and has been on and off the IR list since. If we want to limit injuries in the secondary, let's start by cutting players who have been IR'd two cosecutive years.

My point is not that Starks WAS a top corner. My point was that pioli was looking for one when we drafted him.

jczxohn1 said:
IMO, it is misleading to speak of the potential of Starks when he came here. He was not fully recovered from a knee injury, and tho he played more than he or his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, planned on, he still played poorly. In fact, he may have prevented his knee healing properly. Compounded with the shoulder problems, his play was detrimental to the team, regardless of the feeling of some who feel he should get a "good soldier" bye. Starks hasn't been a "top CB" since he played for the Ravens and some feel that defense masked his faults. Ty Poole was our #2 CB TWO years ago, and has been on and off the IR list since. If we want to limit injuries in the secondary, let's start by cutting players who have been IR'd two cosecutive years.

Actually, i hope that either Buffalo or Miami pay him what he wants ... so that a div rival can wreck its cap structure to acquire a darn good DB ... who "knows" the Pats!

edit: but who ain't worth NEAR that dough!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back