PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Klecko sheds weight, working with LBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... WTF mate? :eek:

Patriots | Klecko works with linebackers and defensive backs
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:17:05 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports New England Patriots DL Dan Klecko worked with linebacker and defensive backs for seven-on-seven passing drills. Klecko appears to have shed some weight.

I was going to jokingly say something about Klecko making the move to DB but damn!!

huskeralk said:

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports New England Patriots DL Dan Klecko worked with linebacker and defensive backs for seven-on-seven passing drills. Klecko appears to have shed some weight.

I was going to jokingly say something about Klecko making the move to DB but damn!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Fourth-year player Dan Klecko appears to have shed some weight and wasn't working with the defensive linemen. He stayed with the linebackers and defensive backs for seven-on-seven passing drills.

I think Reiss means he wasn't with the defensive linemen when they went off do their drills, but was instead with the group of LBs and DBs doing passing drills.

PATSNUTme said:
If you could put his guys heart and determination in M. Hills body, what a DL you would have.

Yeah, you'd have one of those Warren or Seymour types. We could really use one of them.

Oh wait.

I would imagine Klecko will be at OLB not ILB.
ILBs need LB instincts and skills. OLBs can get away with less, especially if thye are rushing all the time.

The lack of depth at NT forced Klecko to stay heavy last year. This is clearly his make or break year as a linebacker.

huskeralk said:

Nobody believed me when I said Klecko would be taking reps at SS. My disappointment came when he didn't get any reps at WR.

Brady had better watch out. Word up is that Klecko throws a mean crossing pattern pass.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Brady had better watch out. Word up is that Klecko throws a mean crossing pattern pass.
Thats awesome. BB may be next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this linebacker-thin year may be his year.... would love to see something come of it. (Who doesn't love Klecko's heart?) Also saw that Colvin took some reps at the "Elephant" position?

At least there are a few honest people here. Where are all the Klecko bashers when a report comes out that he cut weight and is practicing at LB ?

I guarantee they come out of the woodwork if he gets cut in TC.

I still say I'd rather have Klecko than Beisel at ILB on first and second down. Probably 3rd down as a pass rusher, and just about any goal line or short yardage situation.

GO KLECKO!!!

D-cleater said:
At least there are a few honest people here. Where are all the Klecko bashers when a report comes out that he cut weight and is practicing at LB ?

I guarantee they come out of the woodwork if he gets cut in TC.

I still say I'd rather have Klecko than Beisel at ILB on first and second down. Probably 3rd down as a pass rusher, and just about any goal line or short yardage situation.

GO KLECKO!!!

Klecko hasn't shown the ability to play a position. Why does someone have to be a Klecko basher to point that out?

I hope he succeeds where he failed before, because I like him.

But given what we know, to say you'd prefer him over Beisel now paints you as a blind Klecko apologist.

He's played all over the field!! He's played NT, DE, ILB, FB and special teams

Has he excelled at any one position? No.

Did Bruschi excel at LB his first three years? No

The point I am trying to make is that, IMO, Klecko offers the team more than Beisel does in almost every situation except dropping in to coverage. He obviously has the potential to get torched. But what has Beisel done that is so great there?

For me, I will take Klecko's strength, toughness, and first step of the snap over anything that I saw from Beisel in 2005. That does not make me a blind Klecko apologist, it makes me a fan with an preference for one player over another.

D-cleater said:

Has he excelled at any one position? No.

Did Bruschi excel at LB his first three years? No

The point I am trying to make is that, IMO, Klecko offers the team more than Beisel does in almost every situation except dropping in to coverage. He obviously has the potential to get torched. But what has Beisel done that is so great there?

For me, I will take Klecko's strength, toughness, and first step of the snap over anything that I saw from Beisel in 2005. That does not make me a blind Klecko apologist, it makes me a fan with an preference for one player over another.

He needs to be competent at at least one position. I believe he's too small for his natural position, (NT).

I only mention it because he has attempted linebacker before and it didn't go well from what I hear, (I don't know first hand).

Comparing him to Bruschi is ridiculous since his transition was steady positive progression.

Beisle is a professional linebcker who has reportedly added 10 lbs. of muscle.

Like him or not, he seemed to be grasping the system well late in the year and there are good OBJECTIVE reasons to expect him to make progress.

NOTE Bruschis total tackles (years 1-4) 27 42 77 106

Last edited:
D-cleater said:
GO KLECKO!!!

You can't really be serious. Have you even seen Klecko play ILB? I can see it now the first time a team runs a pass play on us. I can't think of a single RB, FB or TE in the entire NFL that couldn't ditch his slow moving ***** in under two yards.

D-cleater said:
umm.. i love the guy... but, can you name any plays he played those positions, and the results?
i want him to make the team, but is he really meant to play in the nfl?

I grant that he is a liability in pass coverage. But TJ was too in a way, and the D overall was usually successful at hiding that weakness.

Bruschi was probably not a good comparison, but my point is that few players have stepped right in at ILB in this system and done really well their first season unless their names are Vrabel ( last year) or Phifer . One could argue this point in Beisel's favor, but he was just not fun to watch last year. He was pretty horrible, as I recall.

On the other hand, I can't recall a time that Klecko avoided a tackle, or got run over by opposing RB's . I can definitely say that about Beisel. Toughness is something that can't be taught , defensive schemes can.

D-cleater said:
I grant that he is a liability in pass coverage. But TJ was too in a way, and the D overall was usually successful at hiding that weakness.

Bruschi was probably not a good comparison, but my point is that few players have stepped right in at ILB in this system and done really well their first season unless their names are Vrabel ( last year) or Phifer . One could argue this point in Beisel's favor, but he was just not fun to watch last year. He was pretty horrible, as I recall.

On the other hand, I can't recall a time that Klecko avoided a tackle, or got run over by opposing RB's . I can definitely say that about Beisel. Toughness is something that can't be taught , defensive schemes can.

I'd like nothing better than Klecko to find a niche at short yardage LB, or whatever.

In his favor, I haven't seen BB play favorites, so I have to assume there's some reason he's hung around this long.

Being objective, though, I have to believe he really has to show something because we have a serious linebacker shortage unless everyone stays healthy and that means lots of attention and reps for the future LBs.

The more young players that need 2-3 years to develop, the less roster spots we can afford to waste.

I must say, he didn't look in linebacker shape 2 years ago. If he really has cut the weight and worked on his agility, who knows?

But they just can't carry him if he doesn't "get it".

Last edited by a moderator:
D-cleater said:
!

I've grown tired of repeating myself, and I'm sure others are tired of my repeating myself also. Klecko is a practice body right now. Why wouldn't they move him all over the field?

My opinion hasn't changed, Klecko is mis-cast in this defense, and will have to go to a 4-3 stunting defense, such as Philly, TB, Chicago, or Indy, and play DT.

He can play many positions in the 3-4 at sub-adequate levels. That is not a benefit to this team. Depth only counts when the coach has the confidence in you to put you on the field at all those different positions.

Klecko is one of those guys you just want to see succeed. Some people you want to see get cut every year and they don't (Pass, Gorin, ect.) but Klecko just seems like he could really excel at something.

But the clock is ticking on the underdog....

ILB was always Klecko's destiny. We should never have shelved that experiment last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes