Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

March 20, 2006
Patriots re-set
Posted By: mreiss | Time: 07:22:17 AM

When the 2005 season ended, the Patriots had 17 players scheduled for unrestricted free agency. A look at how things have unfolded:

Offensive tackle Tom Ashworth -- Took free-agent visits to the Jets, Buccaneers and Dolphins, and was also speaking with the Texans, Seahawks and Saints late last week. Still a possibility to return to New England.

Receiver Troy Brown -- Has drawn interest from the Jets, but has yet to sign a contract. Still mulling his options, which include re-signing with the Patriots, retiring, or signing with another club.

Linebacker Matt Chatham -- Signed a three-year contract with the Jets. Agent Paul Sheehy said the deal will pay Chatham as a starter should he fulfill that role.

Receiver Andre' Davis -- Signed a one-year deal with the Bills. The contract was for $1.3 million and included a $500,000 signing bonus.

Linebacker/safety Don Davis -- Re-signed with the Patriots, for one year ($770,000), before free agency began. The contract includes a $25,000 signing bonus.

Receiver Tim Dwight -- Has drawn interest from teams seeking a boost in the punt return game, visiting with the Jaguars and Jets. He plans to meet with the Seahawks this week. Agent Jack Bechta said the door remains open for Dwight to return to the Patriots.

Running back Heath Evans -- Has yet to sign with a team.

Tight end Christian Fauria -- Signed a two-year, $2 million contract with the Redskins that has base salaries of $810,000 in 2006 and $1 million in 2007, with a reported $190,000 signing bonus.

Quarterback Doug Flutie -- As of late last week, he was unsure of his next career step. If the Patriots are interested in having him back, it will be tough to walk away. Like Troy Brown, retirement is an option.

Receiver David Givens -- Signed a five-year, $24 million contract with the Titans. Also visited the Dolphins and Texans. The Patriots were also in the mix to re-sign him.

Safety Artrell Hawkins -- Re-signed with the Patriots for two years. The deal totaled $1.53 million, with base salaries of $710,000 in 2006 and $670,000 in 2007, and a signing bonus of $150,000.

Offensive guard Stephen Neal -- Has visited the Vikings and Bills in free agency. Has yet to sign with a team.

Cornerback Hank Poteat -- Re-signed with the Patriots for one-year ($585,000). The deal doesn't include a signing bonus.

Cornerback Chad Scott -- Has yet to sign with a team.

Safety Michael Stone -- Had been offered a contract by the Patriots but said he is exploring other free-agent options.

Offensive lineman Ross Tucker -- Re-signed with the Patriots for one year ($585,000). The deal doesn't include a signing bonus.

Kicker Adam Vinatieri -- Visited the Packers. The Patriots are still in the mix to re-sign him. Other teams who could potentially be active in the kicker market include Atlanta, Dallas, Indianapolis and Miami (if Olindo Mare is cut).

Salary cap cuts:

Linebacker Chad Brown -- Has yet to sign with another team.

Outside linebacker Willie McGinest -- Signed 3-year, $12 million contract with the Browns.

Cornerback Tyrone Poole -- Took first free-agent visit with Falcons late last week.

Signings:

Receiver Reche Caldwell -- Inked a two-year deal. Terms are unknown at this point.

Last edited:
This is a good and worthwhile thread. A very rare thing to find on this board lately.
Must be bumped up.:rocker:

If I am not mistaken, that would mean that Davis, Poteat and Tucker would all qualify for the vet exemption...

DaBruinz said:
If I am not mistaken, that would mean that Davis, Poteat and Tucker would all qualify for the vet exemption...

Correct. I'm guessing they'll only count $460,000 against the cap. (or $1.38 mil. all together)

pats1 said:
Safety Artrell Hawkins -- Re-signed with the Patriots for two years. The deal totaled $1.53 million, with base salaries of $710,000 in 2006 and $670,000 in 2007, and a signing bonus of $150,000.

I guessed that Hawkins got a $150,000 signing bonus. What a good guess!!

--
Miguel - just hurt myself patting myself on the back:)

Miguel said:
I guessed that Hawkins got a $150,000 signing bonus. What a good guess!!

--
Miguel - just hurt myself patting myself on the back:)

Lies! I saw your site! It said $50 k!

See!:
hawkins5cq.png

EDIT: I am truly an idiot. I now see the $100 k remaining. But wouldn't it prorate equally ($75 k?)

It might just be FireFox, but Tyrone Poole is (well, suitably) floating around in space...:

poole8de.png

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Lies! I saw your site! It said $50 k!

It used to:)

EDIT: I am truly an idiot. I now see the $100 k remaining. But wouldn't it prorate equally ($75 k?)
One of us may be an idiot. It is not you. It should have been $75K.

It might just be FireFox, but Tyrone Poole is (well, suitably) floating around in space...:

Fixed.

pats1 said:
Correct. I'm guessing they'll only count $460,000 against the cap. (or $1.38 mil. all together)

The vet min is now $425,000, the minumum salary for a player with 3 years of service.

great thread

pats1 said:

With the rise in minimum salaries, Hawkins' 2007 salary will actually be $720,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes