Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
Posted By: mreiss | Time: 01:10:55 PM

February 25, 2006
Pats cut Starks

In addition to meeting with prospects at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, the Patriots are also conducting business with players on their current roster.

Along those lines, the team has decided to release cornerback Duane Starks, according to league sources. The story was first reported by the Web site profootballtalk.com earlier on Saturday.

The move is not surprising, considering that Starks was set to count $5.1 million on the team's salary cap, the sixth highest figure on the club.

Starks played in seven games, with six starts in 2005. He struggled at times, and was benched for the second half of a loss to the Colts on Nov. 7. He was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury Nov. 10.

After the loss to the Colts, Starks said: "When things aren't going right, I understand people are going to point fingers. If they want to point fingers at me, that's fine. ... Did it hurt? Of course, I'm a competitive person."

The 31-year-old Starks was acquired by the Patriots last March. The team traded a 2005 third-round pick and 2005 fifth-round pick to the Cardinals, in exchange for Starks and a 2005 fifth-round choice.

Starks had two years remaining on his salary at the time, for $3.6 million each season. But he renegotiated to help consummate the deal to New England, which resulted in his high cap number for 2006. In cutting Starks, the Patriots will save around $3.6 million on the salary cap.

In addition to Starks, cornerback Tyrone Poole ($2.5 million) and outside linebacker Willie McGinest ($8.3 million) have high cap numbers and could be under consideration for a renegotation or outright release.

The Patriots have cornerbacks Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, Poole and longshot Antwain Spann under contract for 2006. In addition, Randall Gay is an exclusive rights free agent who most likely will be tendered a contract to return.

it was a long time coming IMO he just didn't play at all well throught the season.

Can Tyrone Poole be far behind?

it wouldn't suprise me how old is he now?????

Brady#12 said:
it wouldn't suprise me how old is he now?????

Turned 34 on February 3rd.

A year younger than McGinest, a year older than Bruschi, but 11 years older than Hobbs and 11 years younger than Flutie.

Last edited:
don't need an additional thread to the 3 pager already

pats1 said:
Turned 34 on February 3rd.

A year younger than McGinest, a year older than Bruschi, but 11 years older than Hobbs and 11 years younger than Flutie.

thanks.............you like the number #11 dont you ;) :p

Brady#12 said:
thanks.............you like the number #11 dont you ;) :p

r_bledsoe_i.jpg

i can feel the love for Bledsoe :rolleyes:

sport-bills_article.jpg

here a few of my favirotes

3.aspx

p1_bruschi.jpg

wow

PATSNUTme said:
Can Tyrone Poole be far behind?

What's really funny is that I had completely forgot about Poole when thinking about next year. I even forgot he was on the team---i guess that's what happens when you barely play the past 2 seasons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back