PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Field position/punting looms large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting stat! Good point-maybe that's what BB is seeing. Maybe Hanson's 'style' if you will,can work to our advantage.

I agree but didn't BB have some punter tryouts just after the season started? Thought I read something about that...might be wrong.

I'd say we could live with touchbacks. Maybe we can skip punting and just go with kick-off's? :D

Check out "The Ghost" Kicking this dude in the nuts!

83177555.jpg

Isn't Gostowski injured? Right Thigh?

Isn't Gostowski injured? Right Thigh?

Yeah and I'm wondering if the reason isn't hinted at in Bills Q&A...

On the practice field right now, some guys are kicking around a soccer ball. I was curious if you have seen that ball around in the locker room and what your thoughts are on football intersecting with futbol?

Yes, I have seen it around. If I get close enough to it I will put it over the fence.

The players talk about how it helps them footwork wise. Do you buy into that?

Yeah, I wish that was all there was to it. We will let them play around with it a little bit.

Maybe not, but you never know.

Wow, it seems to be rare for Reiss to pick against the Pats...

Not at all. I watched Patriots all access last year where I watched him pick against the Patriots at least 5 times :D

I agree but didn't BB have some punter tryouts just after the season started? Thought I read something about that...might be wrong.

I think you're right, though Brady was still QB at that time? I'm just thinking maybe we need to look at Hanson from a different perspective this Sunday-watch him in terms of what alamo suggested and see what shakes out,plus what Mike said about field position being so important. Hanson definitely in the lens this week;)

I wonder if BB has in his posession a study that says a touchback statistically is better than trying to down it inside the 20 and risking a ruturn PAST the 20? Personally I doubt that this is true but then again I don't have access to the #s. It almost seems that Hanson has deliberately kicked for touchbacks on several occasions. Then again, never attribute that to genius which could be attributed to incompetence.

4-6-NE 8 (10:49) C.Hanson punts 35 yards to NE 43, Center-L.Paxton. N.Clements pushed ob at NE 30 for 13 yards (L.Paxton; C.Hanson).

If having a punter kick the ball for a whole 35 yards from his own 8 yard line -- and, by the way, kick it so low that it could be returned 13 yards before the punter and the long snapper make a tackle to save a touchdown -- was part of Bill Belichick's football genius master-plan, you can have Stephen Gostkowski kick me in the n*ts. :(

4-6-NE 8 (10:49) C.Hanson punts 35 yards to NE 43, Center-L.Paxton. N.Clements pushed ob at NE 30 for 13 yards (L.Paxton; C.Hanson).

If having a punter kick the ball for a whole 35 yards from his own 8 yard line -- and, by the way, kick it so low that it could be returned 13 yards before the punter and the long snapper make a tackle to save a touchdown -- was part of Bill Belichick's football genius master-plan, you can have Stephen Gostkowski kick me in the n*ts. :(
Tempting as I imagine that would be for so many, I'd waive your testicular elevation for at least one more punt per game downed inside the 20.

I was not arguing that Hanson is a good punter; I was forming a hypothethis to explain why he kicks the ball too FAR in potential 'down it inside the 20' situations this year.

There are four things you want from a punter:

(1) Kick it quickly

(2) Kick it consistently

(3) Kick it where you want it to go

(4) Kick it hard

Hanson scores 8 or 9 on (4) but 2s and 3s on the others.

I love BB as much as the next homer, but the thought that Hanson's touchbacks are all part of his cunning plan is absurd. Or was I watching different games? Hanson kicked the ball super-high and our gunners sped down the field in an attempt to get to the ball. That doesn't look to me like they were aiming for the touchback ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes