PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss explains Jabaal Sheard benching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we have used it very extensively this year.
I think BB doesn't like it against mobile QBs because "speed rushing" inside opens running lanes and bull rushing tends to keep them closed.
I think we may see it more against pocket passers.

Great point. I agree that it's use is down this year. I guess my beef with the NASCAR here is that the players are not explosive or strong enough to get penetration and to your point, Bill tries to reduce risk and not have the edge guys scream upfield. Thats their scheme and overall philosophy and i'm good with that. I'd rather see guys like Easley, Mike Wright, Jarvis Green or even Chris Jones that may not be as fast as Sheard but are strong enough to keep the OL from mauling the NASCAR lineman and move the Qb off their spot.

On another note, something we used to do a lot of but don't any more is bringing a safety. Toward the end of Rodney Harrison's career I think he blitzed in more than half of the obvious passing downs he played. At that point he was playing more of the hybrid nickel lb role. It was interesting because he would come in free usually picked up by a Rb. But with a full head of steam he threatened the QB and cause them to throw early even when he ultimately was blocked.
I'd like to see more is this with Chung. I think he could be good in that role.
The converse is that the NFL is becoming more and more about getting the ball out before a blitz can possibly get there so on a play like that you waste a player.

I think that is the reason.

IIRC Chung did quite a bit of that earlier in his career here but as you say not so much lately.

For a safety, Rodney had the greatest sense of timing on blitzes I have ever seen. Lawyer Milloy was also very good. Clearly Chung has the physical tools but why he hasn't may be more because Bill would rather have him in coverage.

Did anyone catch the shade Reiss threw in the beginning?

While outsiders and some provocative New England-based sports-radio talks-show hosts perceive Sheard as a foundation-type piece

Shorter Reiss: Felger and the rest of the armchair QBs...

maxresdefault.jpg

Did anyone catch the shade Reiss threw in the beginning?

Shorter Reiss: Felger and the rest of the armchair QBs...

maxresdefault.jpg

There is no love lost between Felger and Reiss.

IIRC Felger once accused Reiss for being a Patriots rumpswab and Reiss called in and defended his reporting.

IIRC Felger once accused Reiss for being a Patriots rumpswab and Reiss called in and defended his reporting.

Reiss is a reporter who will, on occasion, interject an opinion. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think most of us wish we had more of that type of journalism in Boston. However, talk shows and sports forums are about applying the reporting to the big picture, and discussing that application.

Very rare for a bb coached team to have this type of uncertainty in the defense this late in the year.

Makes me think that bb is sending specific messages to specific players,

Now over the course of the next several weeks, we get to see who will respond and who packs up his toys and goes home.

I think BB new a game against the 49ers where Brady was highly motivated would be a good opportunity to try out different players in different roles, and that's what we saw. We'll probably see more of the same against the Jets. Think of it as a mid-season pre-season! :D

I always love it when someone gives us a link to one of Mike Reiss' columns. Since I rarely go to anything ESPN related it gives me a chance not only to read the topic in question, but catch up on what else he's written recently about the team. Again I was rewarded when Mike gave us 3 links to a series Bill Burt of the Lawrence Eagle Tribune wrote concerning Brady's trip "home" to the Bay area.

In one story, he does a great job getting into his family background and how important it was to his development. In another he talks with Steve Mariucci about what was involved in the decision to go with Geno Carmozzi and why Brady wasn't even much of a consideration.....and why the fact he wasn't should been a lesson the NFL should learn. The last one was about about his remarkable success at such an advanced age. All three are well worth your time to read.

Bill Burt, btw, is a hidden gem amid the rubble of local mediots.

RAISING A CHAMPION: How family, competition and love helped mold Tom Brady

The one that got away: How the 49ers never gave Tom Brady a chance

Beating Father Time: At 39, Pats QB is playing his best football

I remember how offended Reiss was and how he went all in in defense of himself, and rightfully so. Of course Felger stayed the course, but I guess that's what most people do no matter what. I think that was the first time I had ever seen, read or heard Reiss so heated.

I remember how offended Reiss was and how he went all in in defense of himself, and rightfully so. Of course Felger stayed the course, but I guess that's what most people do no matter what. I think that was the first time I had ever seen, read or heard Reiss so heated.

The irony of Felger being critical of how someone in the media does their job is precious.

Or it could totally unrelated to any of that. Think Tiger Woods - while many point to injuries (and they did play a role) his disastrous home life spiraling out of control may have ultimately shattered his confidence more than anything else leading to the demise of his play. Life carries many threads, not just sports, that contribute to our well being - mental, physical, spiritual, whatever. Causality can be from any one of those, or none at all.

Yep. Felger had to stand his ground. Turning tail when challenged would have destroyed his persona as a tough-talking shock jock.

I just hope its lights a fire under sheard and he can start performing

Yep. Felger had to stand his ground. Turning tail when challenged would have destroyed his persona as a tough-talking shock jock.
Indeed. I'm just happy Reiss had the gumption (first time I think I've ever actually used this word in a sentence) to call in and challenge him anyway. That was one on-air debate I cannot forget.

He should have been offended, but at the same time calling into the show just gives Felger more perceived credibility.. Felger is a ****ing scumbag, Reiss is an actual journalist, or at least as close as you can come these days in sports

I'm frankly amazed that people still tune Felger in when it's well known how full of **** he is and offers no value to Patriots coverage or any coverage for that matter

He's just a hardcore Type A personality that has a huge ego and thinks he's right about anything and everything..

I can't stomach hearing his voice anymore, so it completely baffles me how people still tune in and are like "Cool, Felger and Mazz are on! I gotta listen to this valuable feedback!" while Felger sits back and laughs as his huge paychecks hit his bank account

Disgusting

Exactly haven't listened to a Patriots Radio show in over Ten years. What a shame for a Team who has had so much success.

He should have learned not to feed the trolls. Felger doesn't even believe the crap he spews. I think Mazz might...he seems pretty dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back