PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss explains Jabaal Sheard benching

Status
Not open for further replies.
No that is not the point here at all.
Healthy inactives are left at home consistently. Many comments and guesses and theories and speculative hysteria occurred on this board under the assumption that it was unprecedented to leave a healthy inactive at home.
The fact that you pull this bs about stature shows you know you are wrong.
At that point you acted like a douchebag. You should apologize if you have integrity.
Wrong, on so many levels. First, you're acting like a "douchebag" by using that word so much. Or should I say, a ****ing *******? That will get bleeped here, but you know what I mean. Fingers crossed.

"Speculative hysteria." Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. It was not and is not hysteria to wonder what's going on with Sheard, because of his stature. That is a simple point you are utterly unable to grasp.

I liked that article by Reiss. He put the smack down on some of the speculation and spoke with years of experience covering Belichick. Sadly he isn't as nearly as prolific as he was ~5 years ago but when he speaks up like that, you know he means it.

On another note, some of you are getting pretty mad online. Keep it up, we're all riveted by who wins the argument and it's not derailing the thread at all.
Noted. ;)

Wrong, on so many levels. First, you're acting like a "douchebag" by using that word so much. Or should I say, a ****ing *******? That will get bleeped here, but you know what I mean. Fingers crossed.

"Speculative hysteria." Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. It was not and is not hysteria to wonder what's going on with Sheard, because of his stature. That is a simple point you are utterly unable to grasp.
Your point is easy to grasp and wrong.
But you know that.
Leaving an inactive home is common. Therefore the discussion about what it means that he is not only inactive but didn't even make the trip was moot.
Pretending you don't understand that makes you look like a clown.
I'm done with you.

Your point is easy to grasp and wrong.
But you know that.
Leaving an inactive home is common. Therefore the discussion about what it means that he is not only inactive but didn't even make the trip was moot.
Pretending you don't understand that makes you look like a clown.
I'm done with you.
Actually, you're not even grasping the fundamentals of what we're talking about. I can only speculate that your father didn't show you enough approval when you were growing up.

Glad you're done though, because you're not doing yourself any favors. And in the spirit of the previous poster noting the derailing of the thread, I am done as well.

I liked that article by Reiss. He put the smack down on some of the speculation and spoke with years of experience covering Belichick. Sadly he isn't as nearly as prolific as he was ~5 years ago but when he speaks up like that, you know he means it.

On another note, some of you are getting pretty mad online. Keep it up, we're all riveted by who wins the argument and it's not derailing the thread at all.
Ok, really done now!

The Fact that someone siggested there isn't enough room to take a guy that is going to be inactive is hilarious especially since a guy that is on IR (Brissett) has made at least 2 of the team's last few away games. The drinking of the kool-aid gets so ridiculous sometimes. Call a spade a spade

The Fact that someone siggested there isn't enough room to take a guy that is going to be inactive is hilarious especially since a guy that is on IR (Brissett) has made at least 2 of the team's last few away games. The drinking of the kool-aid gets so ridiculous sometimes. Call a spade a spade

Are you seriously comparing the situation of an IR'd rookie QB who because of traveling gets to absorb everything that happens on the sidelines with a veteran who was left behind due to performance reasons ?

Because that would be incredibly dumb.. BB even explained specifically why our rookie QB3 gets to hang around the team:

“I’d say it’s more to do with the position he plays than the injury,” Belichick said on Tuesday’s conference call when asked why he’s been on the sidelines.

Given the nature of the quarterback position, seeing how things like adjustments happen in-game can be valuable when it comes to developing as a player. This could be a sign Belichick views Brissett as part of the long-term future of the team.

“I mean he’s only been in four regular season games so I think the experience that he gets from being able to see the things that go on during the game are valuable for him,” he said. “Might be valuable for some other players, too — I’m not saying that, but the quarterback position in particular I’d say it’s a little bit different.”

See Bill Belichick explains why QB Jacoby Brissett (injured reserve) has been on sidelines last 2 games

Flowers is becoming what sheard was supposed to be.
If sheard gets his head screwed on straight he can be depth plus a NASCAR package guy.

I really question the effectiveness of the NASCAR.

Unless Sheard is incredibly dumb, does not seem to be, this might be a wake up call as it is effecting his future marketability when he becomes a free agent next year.. the potential teams that are interested have access to the same tapes that BB watches..

I really question the effectiveness of the NASCAR.

Situational package. If not used too often it can be pretty effective to mix things up. It's not like we'd be in it for more than a handful snaps.

I'm talking using 4 de on 3rd and long.

Situational package. If not used too often it can be pretty effective to mix things up. It's not like we'd be in it for more than a handful snaps.

I understand the use case for the NASCAR. I just don't think this team has been overly sucessful in its execution.

I understand the use case for the NASCAR. I just don't think this team has been overly sucessful in its execution.
Jones (the last 2 years before being traded) sheard and flowers have had success rushing from inside.
It's definitely more effective than keeping the big DTs in there.

Reiss was a little salty in that article.

I got that vibe too. Almost felt like he was pre-emptively defensive to the criticism he knew was going to come from other media members: That he's been leaked something and is carrying the water for the team (ala Lombardi following the Collins deal). True or not, I think he takes exception to that perception.

Jones (the last 2 years before being traded) sheard and flowers have had success rushing from inside.
It's definitely more effective than keeping the big DTs in there.

Sure on the DTs but if the measurable is pushing the pocket and pressuring the QB, I can't recall any tangible successes. Seemed to me they get stoned everytime.

For what it's worth, when Belichick was asked on WEEI about Sheard not making the trip, he completely downplayed it. In typical Belichick fashion we was very vague. [paraphrasing] "Inactive players often don't make road trips. There's no need for them to travel if they're not going to play etc etc etc"

Sure on the DTs but if the measurable is pushing the pocket and pressuring the QB, I can't recall any tangible successes. Seemed to me they get stoned everytime.
I don't think we have used it very extensively this year.
I think BB doesn't like it against mobile QBs because "speed rushing" inside opens running lanes and bull rushing tends to keep them closed.
I think we may see it more against pocket passers.

On another note, something we used to do a lot of but don't any more is bringing a safety. Toward the end of Rodney Harrison's career I think he blitzed in more than half of the obvious passing downs he played. At that point he was playing more of the hybrid nickel lb role. It was interesting because he would come in free usually picked up by a Rb. But with a full head of steam he threatened the QB and cause them to throw early even when he ultimately was blocked.
I'd like to see more is this with Chung. I think he could be good in that role.
The converse is that the NFL is becoming more and more about getting the ball out before a blitz can possibly get there so on a play like that you waste a player.

For what it's worth, when Belichick was asked on WEEI about Sheard not making the trip, he completely downplayed it. In typical Belichick fashion we was very vague. [paraphrasing] "Inactive players often don't make road trips. There's no need for them to travel if they're not going to play etc etc etc"
Exactly. But no one here knew that when the board blew up over the weekend. It was assumed that this was more than just being inactive. There were literally comments that he must have done something horrific to not even travel.
We now have learned that it is routine so there are no implications of not making the trip that are more concerning than just the fact that he was inactive.

I'd like to see more is this with Chung. I think he could be good in that role.

Agreed. That's exactly how they got their first sack and 3 and out against SF on Sunday.

Agreed. That's exactly how they got their first sack and 3 and out against SF on Sunday.
That's what got me thinking about how they used to use Harrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes