PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss -- Ex-Pats staffers: Titles are overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss and those ex-staffers are losing it.

I read here and in the media that BB is an ego-maniac who will ruin the team by trying to do too much.

Last edited:
Why do we have to think that Josh is just being politically careful in saying he has no problem with what BB is doing? Isn't it possible that he actually believes what he is saying?

This discussion has been going on out here for most of the off-season and, to be honest, I don't understand the issue.

What is the compelling logic that says a team has to have individuals with the title, "Offensive Coordinator" and "Defensive Coordinator?" Why does the title matter? The OC and DC roles weren't even common across the NFL until sometime in the 1980's.

Isn't it possible for the Offensive or Defensive game plan to come together under a particular individual, whatever his title? Isn't there room for a team to manage itself differently with highly competent people playing roles that change and evolve as a season progresses, perhaps driven by the particular strengths of an opponent?

Did anyone else completely misinterpret the thread title? I was like, "Whaaaaa?"

Did anyone else completely misinterpret the thread title? I was like, "Whaaaaa?"
Yes, I did. Before I read the article I thought the headline was refering to championships rather than job descriptions being overrated.

Titles are overrated. Exceptionally talented and/or experienced people usually aren't.

This is pretty much what the sensible fans on this forum have been saying all along.

Titles are overrated when you don't have them. They suddenly become much more important when you do have them.

Titles are overrated when you don't have them. They suddenly become much more important when you do have them.

Perfectly put. It's like anything else in life (or any other field). The ones without certification or the degree would always refer to it as "overrated" and the ones with the letters feel like it makes all the difference.

What else could he have said? Even IF he believes it is a bad move, he is too smart to critize or question BB's moves publically.

If Pats fail, it would only benefit his team. So he won't sound any alarm for us; if that is people were looking for, they are looking from the wrong source.

Who is a better source???

titles are overrated.....that is true

so is the pats coaching staff.........I wonder when they will actually develop a player again

so is the pats coaching staff.........I wonder when they will actually develop a player again
:bye2:

New+England+Patriots+Minicamp+WwmHqGwXlyRl.jpg

nahhhhh......he showed up that way.....unless you are going to tell me it only takes a month or 2 to develop a WR
He showed up a competitor, the WR part was his new assignment (recall he also took RB reps in rookie camp) - the development part isn't over yet, for now he's made a satisfactory start. :cool:

If we add a good Offensive Co-ordinator, I would be willing to name him Chancellor of the Exchequer. I might even be willing to go Emperor for life and Commander of all he Surveys, for the right guy.

I feel exactly the opposite. But Manning, pick 6, etc.

That depends a LOT on the organization.

Also, even in organizations were titles matter, a couple of people can be very powerful without it being reflected in their titles. At what is now one of the largest technology companies in the world and then was already well over $1 billion, the CEO/founder's secretary really was one of the most powerful people in the place. (He was and remains the sort of guy who could be heavily influenced by a small circle of folks, yet still be highly effective for other reasons.)

An organization very different from the Patriots could still have an Ernie Adams. It just wouldn't have Ernie Adams AND two empty coordinator slots.

What else could he have said? Even IF he believes it is a bad move, he is too smart to critize or question BB's moves publically.

If Pats fail, it would only benefit his team. So he won't sound any alarm for us; if that is people were looking for, they are looking from the wrong source.

Do you ever bother to read Reiss Mailbag? Reiss questions moves all the time in there. There is a difference between reporting the news and an OP ED piece. This was the former, not the latter.
:bricks:

Matt Cassel says HI.

Edelman also says HI and that he was a QB in college, not a WR.

Deion Branch and David Givens were both developed by the Pats.

So was Gary Guyton, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Brandon Meriweather, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Daniel Graham (who wasn't much of a blocker in college), Tedy Bruschi (developed as an ILB), Tom Brady.

Sorry Tanked, but the list of players whom the Pats have developed is actually quite long. Maybe your definition of development is what is the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back