PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Defensive Snaps (interesting stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The D is a work in progress, and not at all worried about Burgess...

Mike does a great job and compiling these stats must be an very tough and time-consuming effort.

HOWEVER, Mike's numbers don't add up today.

First, I'm quite certain that AD was not in the game for the final 4 plays. So he couldn't have possible played "54 out of 54 snaps".

Second, if you take 54 snaps X 11 players on the field - the total # of snaps should add up to 594. Mike's numbers only add up to 588.

Maybe he lost the spreadsheet I sent him. :(

In any case, as he said, no one tallies it up, so it's basically him watching the game and trying to identify all the players.

can someone clarify something for me? Didn't the Patriots have a press release two weeks ago asking reporters not to publish snaps, positional groupings, and things of that nature?...make the opposing coaches go do the work to figure out how we're attacking/defending?

Ted Johnson was on with Felger yesterday afternoon and one of the things he cautioned was Bill will never ask them to do something he doesn't believe they can do (yet). So he will fashion his defense around the ability level of the available players every week.

Is there more than a bit of irony that this point is being made by Ted Johnson???????

Seems to me that Burgess is becoming a forgotten man on defense, just like Galloway on offense. If/when both those guys step up, it will add new dimensions on both sides of the ball.

It takes time to learn the complex systems - - - which is why I'm lukewarm about the Derrick Brooks talk.

I hope Reiss has more resources at his disposal now. Interns and whatknot. At one point with the Globe said he did not have the ability (no film?) to do a breakdown like this.

I hope he is getting paid well. I have heard ESPN pays s*it.

Were that true, Peter Gammons and Michael Smith would not have bolted the Globe for ESPN.

can someone clarify something for me? Didn't the Patriots have a press release two weeks ago asking reporters not to publish snaps, positional groupings, and things of that nature?...make the opposing coaches go do the work to figure out how we're attacking/defending?

What you are referring to is during pratices. During these closed to the public practices they do not want the reporters tipping of other teams about what they are focusing on.

Generating and analyzing stats from a game could never really be regulated by the teams (or league) and really the opposing teams have done all the stats gathering they need on their own i would think

Originally Posted by Tunescribe View Post
Seems to me that Burgess is becoming a forgotten man on defense, just like Galloway on offense. If/when both those guys step up, it will add new dimensions on both sides of the ball.

I don't see Galloway as being a forgotten man. He's being used to draw off coverage from the underneath routes, because of his speed. Having Galloway and Moss on opposite sides is a real problem for some CB's because both have amazing speed. It opens up other areas because opponents have to consider how to deal with both of them.

Just because he isn't being thrown to doesn't mean he isn't being used in the game plan, or contributing. :)

I don't see Galloway as being a forgotten man. He's being used to draw off coverage from the underneath routes, because of his speed. Having Galloway and Moss on opposite sides is a real problem for some CB's because both have amazing speed. It opens up other areas because opponents have to consider how to deal with both of them.

Just because he isn't being thrown to doesn't mean he isn't being used in the game plan, or contributing. :)

I'm not sure that Galloway has the "speed" anymore to really scare DB's like he used to. His contributions Monday night speak volumes, sad volumes about a guy that hung on a year or two too long.

I'm not sure that Galloway has the "speed" anymore to really scare DB's like he used to. His contributions Monday night speak volumes, sad volumes about a guy that hung on a year or two too long.

Well, Moss, Slater and other Patriots were frankly shocked during TC at how fast Galloway was. They had commented on it in various interviews.

Agreed, ESPN put me over a barrel as to whether to read and watch their stuff when they added Reiss and Bruschi to their stable. Speaking of the defense, I didn't really focus on it because I always assume he's a beast, but how did Wilfork do on Monday night. I noticed he was in for 43 of the 54 defensive snaps and didn't see a lot of tackles besides the bullsh!t call when he sacked Edwards. A friend of mine said he thought Wilfork looked weak, but I disagreed because it seemed like he's now taking on the multiple blockers that Seymour used to and probably had more action when Mayo went down. Comments?
I don't know if it was the red uni but Wilfork looked like he gained 20-30 lbs. He just looked a lot fatter to me. If he did carrying that extra weight around could have worn him down.

Last edited:

With Coaches film, it would probably take an intern on any NFL team about an hour to get these numbers. Its much more difficult to do it from TV.

Galloway is faster than Moss. Seriously.

he's nowhere near as good, but hes faster.

A little premature isn't this? They've played one game.

Is there more than a bit of irony that this point is being made by Ted Johnson???????

I was amazed he said that considering he was implying that his concussion syndrome was the result of BB asking him to play when he knew he hurt.

Ted Johnson was on with Felger yesterday afternoon and one of the things he cautioned was Bill will never ask them to do something he doesn't believe they can do (yet). So he will fashion his defense around the ability level of the available players every week.

Exactly what all great coaches do.

Oh yes you're right, his contributions speak volumes- it opened up Moss underneath to the tune of 141 yards. That was how Galloway affected the game. You don't have to show up in the stats to change the game.

I don't know if it was the red uni but Wilfork looked like he gained 20-30 lbs. He just looked a lot fatter to me. If he did carrying that extra weight around could have worn him down.

You can tell if Wilfork gained 20-30 lbs? I'd think he'd have to gain about 60 before you could see a difference.

Galloway is faster than Moss. Seriously.

he's nowhere near as good, but hes faster.

Galloway is near the top of the NFL, never mind just the patriots,as far as speed goes.He still commands a double team,as was shone in the Buffalo game.

They played tampa 2,with both safeties deep.Galloway is a burner,just not on the same page as Brady.

If the jets*double down on Moss and Welker,with their safeties......you'll see.
However,I think they'll single Moss with Darelle Revis......THAT!,should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes