PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss - defensive snaps breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minor Haynesworth point, since he is in the title of the blog post: I thought he did pretty well for what we are paying him. Pushed the pocket around, made people have to go around him.

That being said, the one play that stood out to me: Early in the game near the goal line, Bush tries to run past him. Al is being blocked, and just reaches out with one arm and drops Bush. That was just a monster strength move. If Al continues to push the pocket around 20-30 plays a game, and helps keep the opponents to a 3.5 rushing average, I'll be thrilled with his performance.

Dowling and Haynesworth were the only 2 players on defense that played great Monday night

Dowling and Haynesworth were the only 2 players on defense that played great Monday night

I would add Pryor, Wilfork, Bodden and Fletcher to that list.

Minor Haynesworth point, since he is in the title of the blog post: I thought he did pretty well for what we are paying him. Pushed the pocket around, made people have to go around him.

That being said, the one play that stood out to me: Early in the game near the goal line, Bush tries to run past him. Al is being blocked, and just reaches out with one arm and drops Bush. That was just a monster strength move. If Al continues to push the pocket around 20-30 plays a game, and helps keep the opponents to a 3.5 rushing average, I'll be thrilled with his performance.

The miami posters on one of the in the enemy camp link new articles was whining about " why do we have a starting back that can be arm tackled"

:singing:

CB Devin McCourty – 76 of 76
CB Ras-I Dowling – 66 of 76
CB Leigh Bodden – 65 of 76
Makes the question of who among Dowling and Bodden starts seem pretty irrelevant, eh?

Anyhow, props to Dowling for playing well in a starter's role after so little preparation.

Bodden played very well. He was so good that Maimai almost never through near him.

Bodden played very well. He was so good that Maimai almost never through near him.

I think we're a FS away from having a pretty good secondary. Looks like we just need the center fielder type. While he's not the long term answer. Sharper can probably do what we ask of him. Hope we sign him.

Only played 4 lb's. If that doesn't tell you how much the game has changed. Nothing will. If we can get Spikes thumb off of the send button. We should be ok there too.

DL will be tested this week against a team that can run/throw. I think we're going to be tough to run on if healthy.

GLad to see Bodden and Dowling getting alot of snaps... you want your best guys out there as many plays as you can.

Arrington only in on 19 snaps though, I wouldn't mind trying him out at FS now and then.

EDIT: Hope Wright getting taken out was just precautionary and not a reoccurence of symptoms

Last edited:
Haynesworth in on 40% of the snaps.. That's about what I expected.. Good to see..

Gonna be another test against San Diego..

Arrington only in on 19 snaps though, I wouldn't mind trying him out at FS now and then.

It's funny, Arrington is easily the smallest DB on the roster -- he has basically the same frame as Deion Branch. Yet he's the guy who plays "DE," and somehow he does seem like he could play safety.

Haynesworth in on 40% of the snaps.. That's about what I expected.. Good to see..

Gonna be another test against San Diego..

I thought that was a pretty reasonable % too. Especially considering it was in Miami and they were probably trying to keep him as fresh as possible. Still he looked like he was determined, pushed the pocket around and drew a couple penalties to boot.

Going to be interesting to see him against SD and a more established QB in Rivers.

No real surprises here, except for maybe Dowling getting so many snaps over Arrington. Good to see though, as I thought Dowling played well and has way more upside than Arrington (who I love as a hard working depth guy).

Other than that, love seeing the rotation up front. Keep the big guys fresh and they'll still be playing well late in the season.

Something that doesn't really fit here but just popped into my head. The kind of hits we were putting on Henne, if those keep up once the weather gets cold QBs are gonna start getting the jitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes