PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Defensive Playtime Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsChamp88

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
A look at the percentage of snaps played by Patriots defenders throughout the season (as charted in the press box, small margin for error):

S Brandon Meriweather – 95.5 percent
ILB Gary Guyton – 84.5 percent
CB Leigh Bodden – 82.5 percent
ILB Jerod Mayo – 73.7 percent
S Brandon McGowan – 72.5 percent
OLB Tully Banta-Cain – 66.7 percent
DL Mike Wright – 57.9 percent
DE Derrick Burgess – 57.3 percent
DL Jarvis Green – 57.2 percent
CB Jonathan Wilhite – 57.0 percent
OLB Adalius Thomas – 54.1 percent
NT Vince Wilfork – 51.8 percent
CB Darius Butler – 51.2 percent
CB Shawn Springs – 50.8 percent
DE Ty Warren – 44.4 percent
S James Sanders – 38.3 percent
DL Myron Pryor – 27.1 percent
S Pat Chung – 20.5 percent
OLB Pierre Woods – 20.1 percent
LB Rob Ninkovich – 12.6 percent
ILB Junior Seau – 11.9 percent
DL Ron Brace – 5.1 percent
CB Terrence Wheatley – 2.2 percent
DL Titus Adams – 2.0 percent
DL Terdell Sands – 1.4 percent
S Bret Lockett – 0.9 percent
LB Eric Alexander – 0.3 percent
S Randy Moss – 0.2 percent :D
Via: Meriweather tops playtime chart

Take: I find it interesting that the majority of the players with high percentages have only been here two years or less. Overall I have to say I'm impressed with the rookies contributions especially Myron Pryor hes been a great story this year...

Last edited:
Pryor's been really good all things considered.

I have him in my all rookie team.

ILB Gary Guyton – 84.5 percent

In these tough economic times, wouldn't it be nice if a check for $213,128 unexpectedly arrived in the mailbox?

Second-year linebacker Gary Guyton was the beneficiary of such a bump (before taxes), as part of the NFL's performance-based pay program.

Guyton was the No. 2-ranked Patriots earner, behind quarterback Matt Cassel ($238,160).

Performance-based pay, created as part of the NFL's 2002 collective bargaining agreement extension with the NFL Players Association, creates a fund used to supplement player compensation based on a comparison of playing time to salary.

Guyton signed a two-year contract as an undrafted free agent last year. His 2008 base salary was $295,000.

"Gary felt redeemed because he thought he would be drafted last year, and now he got paid commensurate with his abilities," said his agent, Richard Kopelman. "He told me he plans to get more next year because he plans to work that much harder."

Guyton, who is taking part in the Patriots' offseason program, played in 32 percent of the defensive snaps last season. His primary role was to replace Tedy Bruschi on third down and obvious passing situations.

Given that he more than doubled his playing time, while his salary only went up 20% or so, I'm guessing he's going to see a slightly bigger check this year. :)

Patriots scout versatile Cincinnati end - The Boston Globe

I find it interesting that we were a top 10 defense, improving all year, and that most posters would not retain four of those who played in 50% or more of the reps. If any of these players leave, there will significant reps to make up.

Burgess 57.3
Green 57.2
Thomas 54.1
Springs 50.8

IMHO, Springs is going nowhere. He is under contract and is valuable even if he is only is a backup role. This is true even if we re-sign Bodden, who is should be our #1 UFA target (Wilfork can be retained through a franchise tag).

I would also re-sign Burgess. He should be available at a reasonable price and should provide a reasonable backup, if we acquire better players as we hope.

We'll see what happens with Thomas and Green.

Via: Meriweather tops playtime chart

Take: I find it interesting that the majority of the players with high percentages have only been here two years or less. Overall I have to say I'm impressed with the rookies contributions especially Myron Pryor hes been a great story this year...

What is Guyton's contract status? Is he a RFA?

What is Guyton's contract status? Is he a RFA?

Better for NE: exclusive-rights free agent. If they offer him the salary for a third-year player, he has no right to negotiate with other teams.

Are these percentages based on total defensive snaps for the team, or total defensive snaps only for games in which the player was active? For example, did Seau play in 11.9% of the snaps from 16 games, or just for those after he was signed?

Is this the percentage of time they played while they were active (not injured)? Because if it is thats kind of disconcerting that Mayo was only on the field 73.7% of the time.

Is this the percentage of time they played while they were active (not injured)? Because if it is thats kind of disconcerting that Mayo was only on the field 73.7% of the time.

Mayo's percentage is low due to his early season knee injury according to the notes posted in the link.

The stats include all meaningful snaps (i.e., not including opponent kneeldowns, etc.) throughout the season.

Last edited:
Wheatley looked good last year in the pre-season and then he got his shot and was looking solid and then he got hurt. This year barely a sniff. I wonder if everybody is showing that much more than him or if he's in the doghouse for some reason.

Surprisingly high figure for Seau.

Surprisingly high figure for Seau.

That's what I was thinking. He came in part way through the season, and I don't recall seeing him in too many plays.

those are very interesting stats and once again reiss is ahead of the rest in putting something like that together...it must be very tedious to do it...i know he tracks it week by week, but consolidating it...that's a lot of work...

a top level look would suggest that the defense is getting younger...so, looking at the change from year to year...in terms of the "age" of the defense would be interesting, but I don't know if he has it for past years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes