PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss concerned about Cunningham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tedy B was on WEEI while they were at Foxboro, Tedy said he was impressed by Cunningham and that he had developed some new pass rushing moves. Excuse me but I'll take #54's opinion over Reiss and some of the wags on this thread.

For me, I want Cunningham to be able to hold the POA against the Run in the 4-3 or set the edge if he's lined up at OLB in the 3-4 if the run is to his side. If it's away from him, I want him to recognize and slide down the line or offer backside pursuit. I want him to put pressure on the QB. He doesn't need to be some ELITE Pass Rusher.. Just get the QB on the move. By nature, that puts a majority of QBs off on their throws and allows for a greater potential for an interception. The sacks will come if the other people are doing their job.

In other words, develop into a solid overall player with complete game. I agree, the sacks WILL come. Hell, he had a bunch slip literally right thru his hands last year. But playing w/ leverage and intelligence, learning the position, understanding what it takes to "do his job", is what its all about for him right now.

It's still early in camp. I'll worry about this sort of thing come game 2 of the exhibition season.

In other words, develop into a solid overall player with complete game. I agree, the sacks WILL come. Hell, he had a bunch slip literally right thru his hands last year. But playing w/ leverage and intelligence, learning the position, understanding what it takes to "do his job", is what its all about for him right now.

I lost count after about week 5. He seemed to be in the mix on so many "shoulda been" sacks. I found myself getting frustrated for him.

Love the excuses of no OTAs, mini-camps, etc. as the main reason Cunningham hasn't performed. The OL that's blocking him also didn't get the benefit of OTAs and such.

Love the excuses of no OTAs, mini-camps, etc. as the main reason Cunningham hasn't performed. The OL that's blocking him also didn't get the benefit of OTAs and such.

Hmm.. Big difference between a guy who is a 2nd team All-Pro and a guy who was a ROOKIE and is entering he 2nd year.. That might have slipped your mind.. :rolleyes:

By all accounts, the O-Line has played like trash in pass protection since the start of camp. It wasn't until the most recent practice that reports claimed that there's been improvement by the group. That further weakens their arguments, I guess.

How does one have a second year slump if the first year wasn't impressive in the first place?

maybe i like Cunningham more than i should and i am biased but i thought he played well last year, pretty damn good for a rookie.

Pretty sure they only recorded one actual sack last year but he should have had 5 or so but he couldn't quite bring the QB down. He should be able to correct this....

He is a big reason we won the Colts game.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned that Reiss is concerned. I'd be concerned if BB was concerned.But we won't know if he is concerned so I won't be concerned.

I'll wait until Thursday, that's right only 4 more days:rocker:, to see what my lying eyes tell me.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned that Reiss is concerned. I'd be concerned if BB was concerned.But we won't know if he is concerned so I won't be concerned.

I'll wait until Thursday, that's right only 4 more days:rocker:, to see what my lying eyes tell me.

You just reminded me how close we are to seeing actual football. Months, even weeks ago, we wondered if we'd see football this season. Now, we're talking about the first preseason game. It's so amazing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost count after about week 5. He seemed to be in the mix on so many "shoulda been" sacks. I found myself getting frustrated for him.

yeah should have had 5 or so.

One of them was a blatant penalty by Dirty Sanchez which was not called b/c the Jets were getting their asses kicked so bad.

Not sure how the refs missed it, it's not like it was a holding play on the Oline, Cunningham was taking Sanchez down and everyone was watching it.

Cut Cunningham some slack. There's a golden forcefield around "The Gronk" that renders all helpless.

yeah should have had 5 or so.

One of them was a blatant penalty by Dirty Sanchez which was not called b/c the Jets were getting their asses kicked so bad.

Not sure how the refs missed it, it's not like it was a holding play on the Oline, Cunningham was taking Sanchez down and everyone was watching it.

What play are you talking about? For some reason, I can't recall it.

By all accounts, the O-Line has played like trash in pass protection since the start of camp. It wasn't until the most recent practice that reports claimed that there's been improvement by the group. That further weakens their arguments, I guess.

That's true. Maybe the OL just needed to get their legs under them.

I'm not as high on Cunningham as most of the people who are making excuses for him are. As far as I know, he was a non-factor last year save for the Baltimore game and that pressure he put on Manning on that one crucial play. Belichick put Arrington as a rush end down the stretch last year over Cunningham. I think that speaks for itself.

I like Reiss..hopefully Cunningham steps it up..if not drop him

What play are you talking about? For some reason, I can't recall it.

there's nothing on youtube for it and i really don't have any more details accept cunningham had his arms on sanchez and was chasing him down and Sanchez had his hand wrapped around cunningham's facemask and pulled him down by it to avoid a sack.

Pretty sure it was in the 2nd half when the game was out of hand.

disappointing, however, maybe it's a testament to the SUPERIOR PLAY of our OTs? Now if we only had some interior line help without having to sign mankins.

Mankins already signed his tender. He's under contract to the Pats and reporting at camp. The extension might take some time though.

Friend of Steve B and life long Pats Fan~! Happy with Chad shocked with Albert, but get whats going on~

LOVE love love the fact that we can run multiple defensive schemes. 3-4 or 4-3 we are going to be utilizing multiple schemes. I think Steve B calls it the UFO defense (My favorite)

The Packers proved a healthy D is what wins and we shored up our line. I am not at all concerned with Pass Rush. Pretty much a wasted spot better to have 11 guys on the line than ten and a "captain of tag" the QB

:halo:

Oh by-the-way I am outspoken and bossy... I am a chick~

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill