Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reiss: Colvin passenger in 180 mph Indy Car in May

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pats1, Jun 19, 2006.

1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  2. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Interesting...but not in the Big Ben class of being dumb...driving with a trained driver a LOT different... and I am sure they weren't at all hitting top speeds...Nice info though!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  3. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A trained driver, and not to mention probably every single safety precaution necessary (seat belt, helmet, flame retardant suit).

4. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 10 / -1

Plus, he doesn't do this every day.

5. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not only that, but it was apparently the only car on the Indy racetrack. During races, the cars are pushing each other for position and are going 220 MPH. Even then, the drivers are so well protected that they generally walk away from accidents unharmed.

This is not at all in the same class of stupidity as riding a motorcycle without either a helmet or the skill and experience to have obtained a license. Roethlisberger had only an expired learner's permit.

PS: The thing that IS scary is that Colvin said, "I used to have a motorcycle so I've been 130 MPH." Huh? How stupid is this guy? At least he implied it was in the past. Maybe he is not so dumb anymore.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Being a passenger at that speed with a professional driver isn't dangerous at all. Shame on you, pats1, for making a subject suggesting is was :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  7. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Go ahead, kill the messenger! :D

8. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That bothered me too. As if it's obvious that if you own a motorcycle, you travel at speeds of 130mph. What is it with athletes and motorcycles? Even if I had the right bike, I wouldn't even want to ride it that fast. My brain must be missing some part that theirs has --- or is it vice-versa?

9. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

This was taken from an interview on All Access - must have been the draft one. I recall he said he sold the bike when he realized he had kids and a wife to support.

There are Pats players today who ride, but not to work or sans helmet. And most have Harley's or choppers - not crotch rockets. And while it is argueably foolhardy to take that kind of risk when you are dependant on physicality to earn your living and hobbling to your cubicle on crutches won't suffice to keep those six and seven figure salaries coming, most of these guys don't have the term "franchise" ahead of their position either. That's a whole other level of responsibility from a corporate standpoint.

These guys are risk takers by nature - risk their lives every time they step on the field (just one hit away as they say). It takes a different kind of mentality to not only face that kind of risk but embrace it, and I guess some of them crave the same feeling off the field.

And lots of NFL HC's ride, which makes it hard to say do as I say not as I do. Cowher rides. So does Holmgren, who now regrets he once filmed an interview segment riding helmetless at a producers request. I don't know if they ride but I could easily picture Gruden or Mora Jr. doing a buck thirty on the way home from a particularly frustrating loss or practice on or in any vehicle. ;)

10. patriotsrule

patriotsrule Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think we would be niave to think that some Pats aren't as careless as Big Ben was. I imagine that every team has those kinds of players. Let's just hope with the Patriots, it's no one important.