Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

June 19, 2006
Colvin's highlight

For linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, the highlight of the offseason came in early May when he returned to his alma mater, Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis.

But the school surprised him by also retiring his No. 59.

After the ceremony, Colvin met up with race car driver Arie Luyendyk Jr. at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

"He took me around in a two-seater, at about 180 miles per hour," the 28-year-old Colvin said. "It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I used to have a motorcycle, so I've been 130 miles per hour. But the thing that really got me was hitting the turn. I was a little dizzy getting out of the car, so I can only imagine doing 200 or so laps."

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 06:19:59 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting...but not in the Big Ben class of being dumb...driving with a trained driver a LOT different... and I am sure they weren't at all hitting top speeds...Nice info though!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A trained driver, and not to mention probably every single safety precaution necessary (seat belt, helmet, flame ******ant suit).

Brownfan80 said:
A trained driver, and not to mention probably every single safety precaution necessary (seat belt, helmet, flame ******ant suit).

Plus, he doesn't do this every day.

Brownfan80 said:
Not only that, but it was apparently the only car on the Indy racetrack. During races, the cars are pushing each other for position and are going 220 MPH. Even then, the drivers are so well protected that they generally walk away from accidents unharmed.

This is not at all in the same class of stupidity as riding a motorcycle without either a helmet or the skill and experience to have obtained a license. Roethlisberger had only an expired learner's permit.

PS: The thing that IS scary is that Colvin said, "I used to have a motorcycle so I've been 130 MPH." Huh? How stupid is this guy? At least he implied it was in the past. Maybe he is not so dumb anymore.

Last edited:
Being a passenger at that speed with a professional driver isn't dangerous at all. Shame on you, pats1, for making a subject suggesting is was :D

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Being a passenger at that speed with a professional driver isn't dangerous at all. Shame on you, pats1, for making a subject suggesting is was :D

Go ahead, kill the messenger! :D

PromisedLand said:
PS: The thing that IS scary is that Colvin said, "I used to have a motorcycle so I've been 130 MPH." Huh? How stupid is this guy? At least he implied it was in the past. Maybe he is not so dumb anymore.

That bothered me too. As if it's obvious that if you own a motorcycle, you travel at speeds of 130mph. What is it with athletes and motorcycles? Even if I had the right bike, I wouldn't even want to ride it that fast. My brain must be missing some part that theirs has --- or is it vice-versa?

shakadave said:
That bothered me too. As if it's obvious that if you own a motorcycle, you travel at speeds of 130mph. What is it with athletes and motorcycles? Even if I had the right bike, I wouldn't even want to ride it that fast. My brain must be missing some part that theirs has --- or is it vice-versa?

This was taken from an interview on All Access - must have been the draft one. I recall he said he sold the bike when he realized he had kids and a wife to support.

There are Pats players today who ride, but not to work or sans helmet. And most have Harley's or choppers - not crotch rockets. And while it is argueably foolhardy to take that kind of risk when you are dependant on physicality to earn your living and hobbling to your cubicle on crutches won't suffice to keep those six and seven figure salaries coming, most of these guys don't have the term "franchise" ahead of their position either. That's a whole other level of responsibility from a corporate standpoint.

These guys are risk takers by nature - risk their lives every time they step on the field (just one hit away as they say). It takes a different kind of mentality to not only face that kind of risk but embrace it, and I guess some of them crave the same feeling off the field.

And lots of NFL HC's ride, which makes it hard to say do as I say not as I do. Cowher rides. So does Holmgren, who now regrets he once filmed an interview segment riding helmetless at a producers request. I don't know if they ride but I could easily picture Gruden or Mora Jr. doing a buck thirty on the way home from a particularly frustrating loss or practice on or in any vehicle. ;)

I think we would be niave to think that some Pats aren't as careless as Big Ben was. I imagine that every team has those kinds of players. Let's just hope with the Patriots, it's no one important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back