PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Brooks Back in Play for Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we get this washed up guy! He could really improve our LB corps!

Isn't that saying something when your linebackers are so bad they could be improved by a guy in retirement?

If he's slow as dirt forget about it, that's the last thing we need.

thank god we're asking him to play a few weeks and not the season. If he still can move, I'm all for signing a guy to fill the gap in the system. But I too am not seeing it.

I hope we get this washed up guy! He could really improve our LB corps!

Isn't that saying something when your linebackers are so bad they could be improved by a guy in retirement?

Isn't it saying something when your secondary is so bad they could be improved by a guy that has played wide receiver throughout his entire career? Oh wait!

Isn't it saying something when your secondary is so bad they could be improved by a guy that has played wide receiver throughout his entire career? Oh wait!

Brown didn't improve the secondary. Those 2 years (03-04) the front 7 was so ridiculous Delta O'Neal might have made it for awhile. Hey Earthwind Moreland did:D

who do you think BB would let go to make room for Brooks?
Maybe this is why no decission yet.

Wheatley?
McGowan?
Alexander?
Slater?

I trust that your list isn't serious. There are several places to find a roster spot. The easiest is Connolly.

who do you think BB would let go to make room for Brooks?
Maybe this is why no decission yet.

Wheatley?
McGowan?
Alexander?
Slater?

Brown didn't improve the secondary. Those 2 years (03-04) the front 7 was so ridiculous Delta O'Neal might have made it for awhile. Hey Earthwind Moreland did:D
He didn't make it worse though did he....

He even said on SportsCenter yesterday that the talks were still going on between him and the Pats. It's just a matter of if/when the Pats pick up the phone and call him.

Are they yelling out the window now?:confused:

after the jets game, we definitely need to sign this guy to cover the middle until Mayo comes back

whats the word on where Brooks is playing?

after the jets game, we definitely need to sign this guy to cover the middle until Mayo comes back

Why? Guyton has done a decent job at filling in. It wasn't the defense that was the issue yesterday. It was the offense.

Why? Guyton has done a decent job at filling in. It wasn't the defense that was the issue yesterday. It was the offense.

Agreed. Brooks in and an OL out, that would be ok.

Belichick's actions indicate that there is no one that can be signed at a reasonable salary that would be an upgrade to the 53 over say having Connolly on the 53.

I would like to see us DEVELOP some players. How are guys going to get good if we keep band-aiding areas every year. Guyton, Mayo, Wilhite, Meriweather, Brace, Pryor, Butler, Chung... a long list of potential.

I think that the front office is doing what it should: bringing in solid free agents AND developing players.

Let's use a couple of examples. Let's focus on the defense since this is certainly not an issue on the offense.

SAFETY
Meriweather and Sanders (our starters) were both developed by the patriots. Chung will be developed. We need a fourth for a couple of years of transition. Belichick acquired a starter-quality player in McGowan. This group of four is set for years.

CORNER
Wilhite is in his second year of development. He is already able to start if needed. Butler is being developed. Wheatley is being developed but has been injured a couple of times. BODDEN was a top free agent for a year of tranistion. Springs is also a starter who can be a backup as others develop.

DEFENSIVE LINE
The team has developed Wilfork, Warren, Wright and Green! The team is developing Brace and Pryor.
==========================================
WHERE ARE THE JAG BANDAIDS
The answer is that there aren't any in the positions above. In all the above positions, the team has top free agents and is developing many, many players. I guess you don't like Belichick's bring in average players to fill holes for very little money. Of course, this stratefy has worked very well in winning three Super Bowls, but let's look at the reest of the offense.

PASS-RUSHERS
Yes, here Belichick did bring in three players who could be considered band-aids while the defense develops. I happen to like the additions of Banta-Cain, Burgess and Ninkovich.

LINEBACKERS
I guess I have the OPPOSITE problem from you. I would have wanted Belichick to bring in a band-aid or two. Thomas was a major acquisition in the past. Woods, Guyton, Mayo, Alexander, and Crable are all home grown.

I would like to see us DEVELOP some players. How are guys going to get good if we keep band-aiding areas every year. Guyton, Mayo, Wilhite, Meriweather, Brace, Pryor, Butler, Chung... a long list of potential.

While I agree that offense is the main issue, I don't see how anyone can say that the defense can't and shouldn't be improved. People are making too big of a deal about the 1st half terrific defense yesterday. Yes, they played well, but it was certainly a combination of that and Ryan not wanting to blow his chances with a Sanchez turnover. He obviously waited to see what we were doing, while expecting and knowing his defense would keep it close. Once they changed up schematic wise, and made halftime adjustments, Sanchez completely torched this defense for 150 2nd half yards, major completion rate, and what should've been 2 TD's.

It was more of Rex Ryan playing it close to the vest, allowing us to show our hand, and letting his vaunted defense keep him in the game. Actually, it worked brilliantly, as Belichick was completely outcoached, IMHO. Once they started slinging it Sanchez worked the defense over very well.

There are many areas where the defense can and should be improved. Guyton did well, but teams will continue to expose the middle of the field, either on short throws, or screens. We have absolutely zero pass rush, or very little at best, are surely missing Seymour, and the secondary hasn't been tested too much as of yet either. Any area there could be shored up, and shouldn't be ignored or complacent.

How is that a team with zero pass rush ended up with six sacks against the bills (with two called back after the penalties).

While I agree that offense is the main issue, I don't see how anyone can say that the defense can't and shouldn't be improved. People are making too big of a deal about the 1st half terrific defense yesterday. Yes, they played well, but it was certainly a combination of that and Ryan not wanting to blow his chances with a Sanchez turnover. He obviously waited to see what we were doing, while expecting and knowing his defense would keep it close. Once they changed up schematic wise, and made halftime adjustments, Sanchez completely torched this defense for 150 2nd half yards, major completion rate, and what should've been 2 TD's.

It was more of Rex Ryan playing it close to the vest, allowing us to show our hand, and letting his vaunted defense keep him in the game. Actually, it worked brilliantly, as Belichick was completely outcoached, IMHO. Once they started slinging it Sanchez worked the defense over very well.

There are many areas where the defense can and should be improved. Guyton did well, but teams will continue to expose the middle of the field, either on short throws, or screens. We have absolutely zero pass rush, or very little at best, are surely missing Seymour, and the secondary hasn't been tested too much as of yet either. Any area there could be shored up, and shouldn't be ignored or complacent.

How is that a team with zero pass rush ended up with six sacks against the bills (with two called back after the penalties).

First of all, the pass rush was non existent yesterday, that isn't my opinion, that is the general opinion of the boards.

second of all, we had 4 sacks in the BUF game--but basically 2, because the final 2 came on all out blitzes on the last drive.

If you're opinion is that the pass rush look good, fine. Mine, and many others is that it can be improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes