PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Brady still Pats' leading man

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's the great unknown...and unknowable. Even Reiss punts, concluding that, for this decade as for the last, Brady's presence will be "shaping the direction of the Patriots more than any other." Reiss doesn't say what that direction will be nor how Brady will shape it; and, rightly so, as he cannot know.

For me, the bottom line is simple. If you ask me whether I'd rather place a bet on an unknown and unknowable Patriots' future between 2011 and 1015 or so with or without Tom Brady, I'd have to answer, "I'll put my money on Brady."

Will he end up like Elway, winning Super Bowls at the ages of 37 & 38, or like Favre, playing lights out at 40? Or will he end up like Bradshaw and Aikman, retired at 35 and 34 respectively? Or will he follow the middle course of most HOF QB's who play until their mid/late 30's with a gradual diminishing of their skills?

I don't know and neither does anyone else. But, like Reiss', my money's riding on Number 12, come what may.

It's the great unknown...and unknowable. Even Reiss punts, concluding that, for this decade as for the last, Brady's presence will be "shaping the direction of the Patriots more than any other." Reiss doesn't say what that direction will be nor how Brady will shape it; and, rightly so, as he cannot know.

For me, the bottom line is simple. If you ask me whether I'd rather place a bet on an unknown and unknowable Patriots' future between 2011 and 1015 or so with or without Tom Brady, I'd have to answer, "I'll put my money on Brady."

Will he end up like Elway, winning Super Bowls at the ages of 37 & 38, or like Favre, playing lights out at 40? Or will he end up like Bradshaw and Aikman, retired at 35 and 34 respectively? Or will he follow the middle course of most HOF QB's who play until their mid/late 30's with a gradual diminishing of their skills?

I don't know and neither does anyone else. But, like Reiss', my money's riding on Number 12, come what may.

Aikman would have kept playing but he suffered concussions, and that's what did Steve Young in to. Joe Montana played until he was 38.

Brady's new house is being built in Brentwood, California.
Not far from where Tom's 1st son Jack lives.
Giselle does not come across to me as a new England type of woman.

Tom may play until he's 40 but it won't be here in New England people.

I think at some point he will want a new challenge ... nothing personal against us IMO.

How many draft picks can we get for Tom ... :rofl:

That's all I have to say for now ... my 2 cents ... I'm bored.

Last edited:
Brady's new house is being built in Brentwood, California.
Not far from where Tom's 1st son Jack lives.
Giselle does not come across to me as a new England type of woman.

Tom may play until he's 40 but it won't be here in New England people.

I think at some point he will want a new challenge ... nothing personal against us IMO.

How many draft picks can we get for Tom ... :rofl:

That's all I have to say for now ... my 2 cents ... I'm bored.

i don't think so. i think he'll be the good soldier and remain loyal to the team that drafted him #199 and gave him his first break. if we trade him, that's different. but i think he stays as long as we want him.

just my $.02

Tom and Gisele are also shopping for a kid friendly home in this area. And Tom just reiterated recently Boston is his home. It's also Jack's maternal grandparents home, so it's not like he and Bridget don't spend time here, too. Rich people have multiple residences. Gisele and Tom sold their holdings in the Big Apple recently, probably because the JETS drafted Sanchez...although she still has one in Costa Rica. I don't think he plans to play there, either. Tom's parents also now maintain homes in California and Boston, where his dad also has an office, and at least 2 of his sisters have lived here now for years. If Tom eventually returns to live primarily in California it will be to play more golf, not more football.

One key to how long Tom plays and for which team is: What does Bill do? Based upon the typical longevity of top coaches, we should be more worried about Belichick retiring than Brady. If Bill retires after next year all bets are off, but I don't see Brady leaving in a year.

Otherwise we don't really need to worry about Brady for years. He'lll be back with the Pats and if he wants big guaranteed money (as he will) he won't be signing for 2-3 years, it will be 4-6. So he's likely here for a while, barring concussions or other problems which convince him to hang it up early.

Aikman would have kept playing but he suffered concussions, and that's what did Steve Young in to. Joe Montana played until he was 38.

Absolutely on Aikman and Young. The average retirement age for SB Era QB's in the HOF is 37.5, so Montana was right on that. Montana made the Pro Bowl one year before he retired, sharing starting duties with Dave Krieg in a season when the Chiefs made it to the Conference championship. But only Elway and Favre have played full seasons at the highest level past their mid thirties.

As I said in my OP, I don't know which profile Brady will fit, but I'd take my chances with him over any alternative any day for the next six or so seasons.

i don't think so. i think he'll be the good soldier and remain loyal to the team that drafted him #199 and gave him his first break. if we trade him, that's different. but i think he stays as long as we want him.

just my $.02

i don't think loyalty will be the biggest factor. i think (reasonable, not top) money and what he perceives as the best chance to go out a winner will be the main factors. as long as belichick is here and as long as the krafts own this team, i think that bodes well for Brady being in Foxboro until he retires.

One key to how long Tom plays and for which team is: What does Bill do? Based upon the typical longevity of top coaches, we should be more worried about Belichick retiring than Brady. If Bill retires after next year all bets are off, but I don't see Brady leaving in a year.

BB's most recent extension apparently runs through 2013. He wouldn't have extended it that far if he seriously saw himself wanting to retire by then.

Otherwise we don't really need to worry about Brady for years. He'lll be back with the Pats and if he wants big guaranteed money (as he will) he won't be signing for 2-3 years, it will be 4-6. So he's likely here for a while, barring concussions or other problems which convince him to hang it up early.

I tend to agree with you on Brady, as long as the Pats' internal knowledge of his health is consistent with warranting a long term deal; we just found out that Moss played with a separated shoulder (ouch!) this year and the Pats are far more secretive about Brady, so we really don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as you suggest, Brady is looking to roll his current contract into a six year deal (up to the age of 39). I would be surprised if the Pats were to go out that far, but I can't imagine they wouldn't settle at four or five years with a lot of cash up front and a many incentives in later years. (IMHO, all bets are off if they don't get a deal done before next season begins.)

Hard to tell on Belichick. He's been an HC for 15 years. If you look at his peers (modern era HC's in the HOF), the 15 of them coached for an average of 17.5 years, so, if his contract goes through 2013, he would be right around that number at 19 years.

Shula and Landry coached the longest at 33 and 29 years, respectively. Lombardi, Madden, Walsh and Greasy Neal (whose career spanned the HOF's definition of the modern and pre-modern eras) retired after 10 years. BB's role model, Paul Brown, coached for 21 years (also spanning the modern and pre-modern eras).

So, it's anybody's guess. Since Belichick is so forthcoming about personal matters, I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions we might ask him. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with you on Brady, as long as the Pats' internal knowledge of his health is consistent with warranting a long term deal; we just found out that Moss played with a separated shoulder (ouch!) this year and the Pats are far more secretive about Brady, so we really don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as you suggest, Brady is looking to roll his current contract into a six year deal (up to the age of 39). I would be surprised if the Pats were to go out that far, but I can't imagine they wouldn't settle at four or five years with a lot of cash up front and a many incentives in later years. (IMHO, all bets are off if they don't get a deal done before next season begins.)

Hard to tell on Belichick. He's been an HC for 15 years. If you look at his peers (modern era HC's in the HOF), the 15 of them coached for an average of 17.5 years, so, if his contract goes through 2013, he would be right around that number at 19 years.

Shula and Landry coached the longest at 33 and 29 years, respectively. Lombardi, Madden, Walsh and Greasy Neal (whose career spanned the HOF's definition of the modern and pre-modern eras) retired after 10 years. BB's role model, Paul Brown, coached for 21 years (also spanning the modern and pre-modern eras).

So, it's anybody's guess. Since Belichick is so forthcoming about personal matters, I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions we might ask him. :rolleyes:

Brady's last deal was a 6 year deal and it was cap friendly in that he allowed them to do s split signing/option bonus and left the out years clear for restructure or extension. That is the kind of deal they will be looking to do if they do one prior to a CBA extension. They could also to a second option bonus to cover the out years or rely on roster bonuses or playing time incentives that guarantee salary. He's never demanded they set or even meet any bar, let alone set it. He is their most significant talent and leader, as well as their most reliable, durable, and marketable. He will get his to retirement deal whether this year or next. In 2003 the Colts had to exclusive tag UFA Manning because they were unable to get a deal done (or Irsay needed more time to scrape together $34M by selling personal assets...). Shortly thereafter they got the deal finalized. Neither of these guys is going anywhere beyond where they are now except to play golf...

As for Belichick, if people would only listen when he waxes poetic about coaching they would realize he's in no hurry to retire. He loves the teaching aspect of the job and sees every season and team as a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes