Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
August 07, 2006
Sullivan's step
Defensive lineman Johnathan Sullivan is one step closer to joining the Patriots on the practice field, as he passed the team's conditioning test.

The 6-foot-3, 315-pound Sullivan had missed the team's first 13 practices but turned a corner over the weekend. He has been on the team's physically unable to perform list.

Sullivan, acquired on June 6 for receiver Bethel Johnson, was working at nose tackle behind Vince Wilfork in the team's June minicamp. He was also part of some four-man line combinations with Wilfork, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren.

Good for him.

Finally..I knew with the cooler weather he had a shot at it....

Noitice the weight he has lost 2.

Don't want to get too carried away here, but if Sullivan can stay in shape then we might have a steal on our hands. While I don't expect to see much playing time out of Sullivan, I'd feel much better having an IN SHAPE and DEDICATED Sullivan should Saymour or Wilfork go down.

And so it begins. Jonathan Sullivan: National Football League Hall of Fame class of 2021. :D

DefenseRules said:
Good for him.
Yeah, all jokes aside, at least he's trying. As opposed to sitting at home and crying. I would love it if he and LeKevin Smith earn a job onto the roster as they have good athletic upside.

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, all jokes aside, at least he's trying.
I think it is an excellent sign. He still might not make the team, or amount to anything, but he has improved himself over last year, so we can see how far it goes.

As someone said, there is no doubting he can do it if he works at it - he has the talent. We'll just see how much he wants it.

Very incouraging.

It's safe to say that Sully is now in the best shape of his NFL career. I remember him playing against the Pats in '05 and there is talent beneath all that blubber.

Is Sullivan the DL that got into several fights and was generally ornery in the Pats-Saints regular season game last year?

QB12

QB12 said:
Is Sullivan the DL that got into several fights and was generally ornery in the Pats-Saints regular season game last year?

QB12

No, that was Will Smith.

If the Sullivan missed all this time because of the conditioning test and nothing else, I'm absolutely amazed at the patience BB has shown. This must be a record - 10 days to pass the conditioning test.

bucky said:
If the Sullivan missed all this time because of the conditioning test and nothing else, I'm absolutely amazed at the patience BB has shown. This must be a record - 10 days to pass the conditioning test.

<cough> Pokey Smith <cough>

satz said:
Noitice the weight he has lost 2.

Sullivan got down to 315 for the Saints before he was traded.

Ya gotta figger he's knocked off the ganj for now. Probably way less munchies, way more focus.

Antowain always passed the test within a few days into camp. This is WAY beyond that.

pats1 said:
Sullivan got down to 315 for the Saints before he was traded.
Two things I never believe in football: Mike Shanahan's injury news, and listed weights for linemen.

Yes, bb has had patience with a 325 pound lineman, new to the team, not passing physicals in 100 degree temperatures.

Apparently bb thinks it is POSSIBLE that Sullivan might beat two of Hill, Wright, Freeman and Smith for a roster spot. In any case, bb might think that is worthwhile having Sullivan in camp in case of injuries one or two of these.

Seriously, Sullivan was OK in minicamp, and SHOULD easily win a roster spot if he is in shape, which is now the case.

bucky said:

Last edited by a moderator:
Should he not have done this prior to camp? He had 6 weeks after the trade to actually do something to show he was serious about rejuvenating his career. And what did he do?
He showed up in such bad shape that he was not allowed by the team to participate in the first week of practices.
Nice move dude!

mgteich said:
Yes, bb has had patience with a 325 pound lineman, new to the team, not passing physicals in 100 degree temperatures.

Apparently bb thinks it is POSSIBLE that Sullivan might beat two of Hill, Wright, Freeman and Smith for a roster spot. In any case, bb might think that is worthwhile having Sullivan in camp in case of injuries one or two of these.

Seriously, Sullivan was OK in minicamp, and SHOULD easily win a roster spot if he is in shape, which is now the case.

Yes. In BB's philosophy it's all about creating competition at every roster spot. Let he who plays best and most CONSISTENTLY win the roster spot. It's open field for Sully and the rest from now on. What did or did not happen the 1st 10 days is subject to revision given consistent performance from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes