PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Blog: Galloway's contract numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Joey Galloway's contract - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The contract signed by veteran receiver Joey Galloway is a one-year package with a base salary of $1.15 million.

The contract is for more than the minimum for a player of Galloway's experience, which indicates that Galloway had some negotiating leverage. He had also visited with the Bills and the Steelers in free agency.

Prove it deal or one last shot at a title?

Well if that's it and there is no bonus we would stand around $5.38M under the cap. Veterans in demand usually get some sort of bonus to cover their efforts and against the possibility of bring cut because their dinged up or a rookie laps them on the depth chart before week 1.

Of course it could be Mike got the salary off the NFLPA site as opposed to information on the contract itself since he doesn't cite the contract. If that's the case there could yet be a signing or roster bonus involved or incentives involved.

I would say neither...more like at his age and with his skills he will probably be on one year deals til he decides to hang it up.

Seems like good value..

If the Patriots are as good next year as they are starting to look on paper - They are going to be paying a lot of guys big $$'s - or making a bunch of guys very rich in free agency next year.

Lets hope for either scenario.

Obviously it could be either one - and that's largely up to him...

Though you do wonder what his mindset is going into the season is...

From the sound of it, his energy level is pretty high... he's not sounding like a tired old veteran digging deep to give everything he has for one desperate final attempt at a ring...

These guys tend to NEVER really know when they're done - and I have to think with Galloway knowing that Moss will be the one double covered, he could put up some very big numbers this year - which would translate into a nice payday next season, even at age 38.

With Taylor, Springs, and now Galloway we have committed a good bit of cap space to some very old ballplayers. There is some risk there. Not many players have had good years at those positions at their ages.

With Taylor, Springs, and now Galloway we have committed a good bit of cap space to some very old ballplayers. There is some risk there. Not many players have had good years at those positions at their ages.

Maybe, but I don't think we overpayed for any of them.

I think they all seem to have something left in the tank. I don't think we have signed a bunch of washed up players.

The only one that got considerable money was Springs and he will be the biggest cap hit to absorb if he stinks this year and we end up cutting him. This is because of his bonus and the fact that it is amortorized over 3 years.

Taylor's cap hit if cut next year is 1.5M. He is only signed for two years, making an average of 2.5M per year. He is similar to Corey Dillon in my opinion... in that he is a fantasic RB with a proven career and about 2 good seasons left in him.

Giving Galloway a 1-year 1.15M salary is not much of a risk in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots