PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Blog: Faulk says he AVOIDED a serious injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Philly D isn't that much like Dallas. Philly rushed 5+ consistently because they had excellent CBs and safeties. Dallas doesn't blitz much nor do they have a great secondary.

I disagree on all points. Philly didn't blitz consistently b/c they had a great secondary; they blitzed (and continue to blitz) b/c that's Jim Johnson's philosophy.

Wade Phillips is known for being a heavy blitzer, the OLB's get up the field very fast (just like burgess and kearse), and they have two in the box safeties who aren't great at pass coverage (like Dawkins and Lewis), so there are some similarities.

I disagree on all points. Philly didn't blitz consistently b/c they had a great secondary; they blitzed (and continue to blitz) b/c that's Jim Johnson's philosophy.

Wade Phillips is known for being a heavy blitzer, the OLB's get up the field very fast (just like burgess and kearse), and they have two in the box safeties who aren't great at pass coverage (like Dawkins and Lewis), so there are some similarities.

Whether we disagree with the intent, the point is that their is no comparison between the secondaries.

And from what I have seen, Johnson mixes up where the blitz comes from quite a bit more. Last year, the Chargers blitzed a lot, but all the did was rush their two OLBs along with thei three DLs.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

What I do agree with everyone is that NE should be able to take advantage of Dallas' secondary and LBs in coverage, and screens will certainly be a part of that.

I think Maroney will play this week. I actually think they held him out specifically to get him fully healthy for the Cowboys game.

I was watching him on the field about hour before Kick-off, and he looked like he could have gone. He was doing lunges on the 30 yard line and talking with the trainers. If the injury was that serious, there is no way he would have been able to stretch it out like that.

I disagree. I do not believe BB EVER makes injury decision based upon the upcoming schedule.
I do think, he erred on the side of caution, and wants him 100%. With a RB if you put them on the field at less than 100% with a leg injury, and they reaggrivate it, you risk having them at partial strength for the entire season.

I think the decisions of holding players out is almost exclusively based on the type of injury and the chance of the same injury reoccuring, vs waiting until fully healthy. If Maroney had a sore wrist, or broken hand, they would be more aggressive getting him back on the field than with a leg injury. Better to sit him an extra game and wait for him to be 100% than to play him a week early and have him stuck dealing with the injury all season long.

In any event, I will never believe BB looks ahead and holds players back for specific opponents. That mentality would absolutely translate through to other areas of preparation for lesser teams, and we would not have the INCREDIBLE, possible unmatched in NFL history, record of not being upset by lesser teams.

Faulk is the x-factor in the running game. We can survive without either Maroney or Morris but Faulk is a different story.

lol

ok merril hodge

Best line from the blog
Safety Rodney Harrison had the media crowd laughing when asked about Vrabel.

“I’ve known Mike for five years now. Tremendous football player. Better person. Family man. Nothing dirty on Mike except his underwear," he said.

:rofl:

Oh, and don't forget that his leadership and work ethic has led to Kevin Faulk being named a team captain this year.

Kevin Faulk is a blitz killer either through his blocking or his receiving as a dump off option. No doubt one of the most valued players on O for the last several yrs..

Love to see the Pats when they "get the Faulk out!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back