PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: BB: "Bruschi has broken wrist, won't play in preseason"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/08/bruschi_has_broken_wrist/

Bruschi has broken wrist
Belichick confirms injury

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | August 8, 2006

FOXBOROUGH -- Patriots inside linebacker Tedy Bruschi will be sidelined for the month of August, coach Bill Belichick said late Tuesday night.

``Tedy has a broken wrist," Belichick confirmed. ``He will not play in any of the preseason games."

The Patriots' final preseason game is Aug. 31 against the Giants. It is unclear whether Bruschi will be ready for the team's regular-season opener, Sept. 10 against the Bills.

Bruschi, 33, was injured July 31, most likely during the team's morning practice. He hasn't practiced since, missing the team's last 10 workouts.

At the start of training camp, the Patriots had paired Bruschi with Monty Beisel in the middle of their 3-4 defense. Bruschi said he was looking forward to developing chemistry with Beisel after playing alongside Mike Vrabel in 2005.

In the weeks leading up to camp, Bruschi noted he was in tip-top shape. ``I've had a great offseason," he said at the time. ``I just feel like I've put in a lot of work this offseason that I wasn't able to put in last season. I know during the season last year I got back to playing good football, but I believe in the process -- minicamps and offseason programs and training camps. I think participating in all that will make me a better player this year."

In Bruschi's absence, the Patriots have been working eight-year veteran Barry Gardner at inside linebacker.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

Last edited:
I guess we all knew it was coming. The good news is there's no chance of him suffering a season-ending injury in training camp now.

I'm curious as to why BB is out talking to/e-mailing reporters at 11:00 at night. :D

Last edited:
4 weeks of preseason, then the Bills and Jets. Hopefully he'll be ready no later than Week 3.

I dunno...maybe a hidden agenda involved like busting the Herald's chops for hiring baseball reporter wannabe to cover his 3 TIME CHAMPION football team. Or putting his picture on page 1 recently as part of an Inside Track hatchet job. Or maybe he just wants to prove that if you don't have an agenda you can cover this team for the Globe and still have access in Foxboro. :D

Why couldn't they have told us this the day BEFORE Rodney came back? "Starting at Middle Linebacker for your New Engand Patriots... Barry Gardner?"

its cool, we have plenty of depth at the position.

miDeuce said:
Why couldn't they have told us this the day BEFORE Rodney came back? "Starting at Middle Linebacker for your New Engand Patriots... Barry Gardner?"

What about "Starting at Middle Linebacker for your New England Patriots... Rodney Harrison!" LOL. Why not, he hits hard enough. hehe.

Once again Felger couldn't wait to tout the "it could be longer" line. I figure if he's back by the Denver game I'll take it. They managed to beat the Raiders, Steelers and Falcons last year without him (losing to Carolina, Chargewrs and Broncos). 2 of the 3 wins were on the road so I think they can handle Buffalo and the Jets.

Well, as long as it is the preseason, then I think we can survive.

But the mounting injuries better not be the harbinger for another league leading IR list.

I'm sure we won't know anymore details. If it's just a cast and heal, it shuldn't take too long. If they had to put in pins, then it will be longer.

That is my total medical knowledge on this subject.

So I guess it really is sore. I'm stunned by the honesty.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
I guess we all knew it was coming. The good news is there's no chance of him suffering a season-ending injury in training camp now.
Now THAT is optimism! :)

NEM said:
I dont think there needs to be any concern. Al broken wrist, while serious, is one of those things that players can play with...in cast..but because the team has four weeks to let it heal properly, I think he wil be fine come the start of the regular season. ...
Not according to Felger:

According to sources, Bruschi broke the scaphoid bone in his wrist, an injury that, if it requires surgery, can take at least six weeks to heal.
Most scaphoid bone surgeries involve inserting a screw in the bone to ensure proper healing. Unlike other breaks, this one does not allow for players to play through the healing with a cast covering the break.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=152052

It could be worse but it is not good, it highlights the lack of depth at LB and the fact the an aging LB core has not had any infusion of new blood. LBs have basically been ignored in the draft and free agency since Colvin was signed in 2003. It is confusing considering decent LBs can be had in the 3rd, 4th rounds of the draft.

I am on a bit of a roller-coaster ride with this team, I still see the play-offs but don't see enough to say "Championship caliber"

cstjohn17 said:
It could be worse but it is not good, it highlights the lack of depth at LB and the fact the an aging LB core has not had any infusion of new blood. LBs have basically been ignored in the draft and free agency since Colvin was signed in 2003. It is confusing considering decent LBs can be had in the 3rd, 4th rounds of the draft.

I am on a bit of a roller-coaster ride with this team, I still see the play-offs but don't see enough to say "Championship caliber"

Drink up!

180px-Kool-AidMan.jpg

Well, the Pats could always go Vrabel-Brown-Beisel-Colvin for the first few weeks of the season...

Oh ****...that's right...

R_T26 said:
its cool, we have plenty of depth at the position.

Like who?
Barry Gardner
Monty Beisel
Chad Brown
Larry Izzo

Who is this mystery back-up linebacker of immense proportions?

Welker83 said:
Like who?
Barry Gardner
Monty Beisel
Chad Brown
Larry Izzo

Who is this mystery back-up linebacker of immense proportions?

That was clearly said tongue-in-cheek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back