PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss and Curran on some of the locker room reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Dolphins 22, Patriots 21: The party's over

While Banta-Cain was crestfallen, a few lockers away stood outside linebacker Derrick Burgess, who should invest in a GPS to find his way into the offensive backfield. He was asked to comment on the team's lack of a pass rush.

"[Jerod] Mayo's talking," he said. "You don't want to talk to Mayo? That's our captain."

Asked if the team's confidence is shaken by the fact teams have turned their defense into a speed bump, Burgess replied, "Confidence? We play football. We're built on confidence."
WTF does that mean ?

and reiss posted this on his twitter page

didn't sense devastation in some corners of the locker room, which you would have thought it would be.

Those six words -- "I don't think we fight very hard" -- are the best evidence that there's been a sea change in Foxboro. Brady doesn't like it. Banta-Cain doesn't like it. And you can conclude from the fact that stand-up longtime Patriots like Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork and Kevin Faulk either refused to talk or didn't even show their faces in the locker room that they don't like it, either.

Pretty apt summation of a lot of problems this team is experiencing this season.

Bright side is its good to hear that Brady still has the passion

Watch Wes interview .he was calling out players.

You know, this doesn't surprise me. It was glaringly obvious in this game. Moss stood out and so did many others. It seems like half the team cares and the other half is just here to get a paycheck. I hope that I'm wrong, but it just seems like the chemistry is just not there, IMHO.

You know, this doesn't surprise me. It was glaringly obvious in this game. Moss stood out and so did many others. It seems like half the team cares and the other half is just here to get a paycheck. I hope that I'm wrong, but it just seems like the chemistry is just not there, IMHO.

Just like any other job. Bill needs to can the lazy-asses that are wasting locker-space on this team he second we close the book on '09.

Just like any other job. Bill needs to can the lazy-asses that are wasting locker-space on this team he second we close the book on '09.

Love the new sig JSn. Guess we aren't in Kansas anymore.

I think Brady's comments and apparently Welker's comments (and visible frustration during the game) support the argument. There is going to be some cleaning to be done after the season. AD is all but gone.

Banta-Cain knows what it takes to win (he was a LB on the 2003-04 teams), and he doesn't seem happy with the mentality here. That should be a big red flag.

Some players need to get chewed out and get a fire lit under their asses. Whether it's Brady, Belichick, Seau, or someone else who does that, it needs to be done and done in the next month.

Last edited:
I think Brady's comments and apparently Welker's comments (and visible frustration during the game) support the argument. There is going to be some cleaning to be done after the season. AD is all but gone.

Banta-Cain knows what it takes to win (he was a LB on the 2003-04 teams), and he doesn't seem happy with the mentality here. That's should be a big red flag.

No question. I'd like to think that if a long playoff run is had, that a few of the current underperformers like AD, Springs, Burgess, etc. have what it takes to be sucessful here but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but the team has been somewhat unceremonious and not all that sympathetic about roster moves and making the best business decision possible.

It's how you have to run a football club in the salary cap area, but I can see where it can tend to foster an attitude in some players that it's just about the paycheck. It's hard to have it both ways sometimes.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but the team has been somewhat unceremonious and not all that sympathetic about roster moves and making the best business decision possible.

It's how you have to run a football club in the salary cap area, but I can see where it can tend to foster an attitude in some players that it's just about the paycheck. It's hard to have it both ways sometimes.

You are probably right. I often wonder why we don't try hard enough to keep our team together. BB gets the blame for a lot of that by some people, but he is not the one signing the checks. He does have a boss. There has been a lot, if not, to much turnover on this team, in the coaching staff and the players. It hit our front office this offseason too. We are seeing the results of that turnover. Brady is right, "THIS IS NOT THE SAME TEAM". Just because these guys are wearing the same uni's that our championship Patriots wore, does not mean that we will see the same results. It took me a long time to realize that. It's been eyeopening for me.

It's funny how Hobbs was blasted for his comments, which were along this vein, yet Brady, Welker and TBC are somehow proof that this stuff is going on....

I think we should cut Derrick Burgess. I know Bill knows more than me but man, I can't remember this guy making any plays other than garbage time.

I liked it when he cut Chad Jackson, cos most coaches would have gone 'I can't give up on a 2nd round pick after 2 years'. But he just went it hasn't worked, and cut him. I think Burgess is the same.

It's funny how Hobbs was blasted for his comments, which were along this vein, yet Brady, Welker and TBC are somehow proof that this stuff is going on....

Because Hobbs single handedly cost us Super Bowl XLII. :rolleyes:

I think we should cut Derrick Burgess. I know Bill knows more than me but man, I can't remember this guy making any plays other than garbage time.

I liked it when he cut Chad Jackson, cos most coaches would have gone 'I can't give up on a 2nd round pick after 2 years'. But he just went it hasn't worked, and cut him. I think Burgess is the same.

I think a someone significant needs to get cut to show some willingness to drop the axe, but that same kind of thing (trading/retiring players) may be part of the reason for the current locker-room funk.

Because Hobbs single handedly cost us Super Bowl XLII. :rolleyes:

See, that's the problem in the way the kneejerks saw that season end. There was so much more to it starting with the inability to rush the passer, the inability to protect the QB, the inability of the deep threat to get open or make plays in tight coverage, our lack of committment to the run due to injuries or inability to run block. Nothing has changed but several of the names and faces. And the fact the new corners all intermittently suck behind zero pressure and none of them can return worth a damn...

Somewhere Ellis would be smiling if not finally on IR.

But they got rid of guys who didn't seem to be the heart & soul of the team. Only McGinest in my mind was a leader who had anything left. Samuel, Seymour, Law, Milloy--these guys were not team leaders.

Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Brown, they were done.

In retrospect, I would go back and keep McGinest and Deion Branch. We'd have two more Lombardi trophies if we kept these guys around.

Don't get me wrong, I do think you have a point, but for the most part the Patriots made the right moves.

2006 and 2007 would have been championship years if they had kept McGinest and Branch especially.

See, that's the problem in the way the kneejerks saw that season end. There was so much more to it starting with the inability to rush the passer, the inability to protect the QB, the inability of the deep threat to get open or make plays in tight coverage, our lack of committment to the run due to injuries or inability to run block. Nothing has changed but several of the names and faces. And the fact the new corners all intermittently suck behind zero pressure and none of them can return worth a damn...

Somewhere Ellis would be smiling if not finally on IR.

I was glad to see Butler returning kicks. He can return worth a damn. He should be good back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes