PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: An ominous sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you only look for misses that is all you are going to find. Julian Edelman, Jake Ingram, Zoltan Mesko, Myron Pryor, Jonathan Wilhite, and Matt Slater are all on the roster from those drafts, as well as five undrafted free agents originally signed by the Pats; all came in the same rounds you mentioned.

Without knowing the percentage of players that were drafted in these rounds that make a playoff team's roster and contribute, we have no way of knowing if the Pats are doing an average job with these late round picks, below average, or even above average. We're comparing success and stats in a vacuum, with no norm to compare it to.

===================================

I had a thought!:eek:

It is entirely possible that BB has changed in so far as the direction he wants to take the team philosophy. Picks that projected to fill a role a few years ago may now find that role no longer exist..

That and if you have a 100 picks odds are that 50 will work out and 50 will not.

===================================

I had a thought!:eek:

It is entirely possible that BB has changed in so far as the direction he wants to take the team philosophy. Picks that projected to fill a role a few years ago may now find that role no longer exist..
That's a great point to consider, I hadn't thought of that.

That and if you have a 100 picks odds are that 50 will work out and 50 will not.
Probably correct - if you're looking at all seven rounds. My guess is that if you're only looking at the late rounds the odds are lower than that.

Please, stop with the doom and gloom nonsense. The team will be fine.

I seem to be running low on kool-aid lately.and was wondering if you've got any extra you wouldn't mind lending me? Honestly, I hear you about not reading too much into all the shuffling around because it is the pre-season, but this is the first time since 2001 that I really am wondering, "WTF is BB doing here?" Brady is 33, so the time is now, not in 2-3 years.

Guys I really like who will be starting week 1:

Brady, Moss, Wilfork, Merriweather, Gronkowski

That's it. Those are the only guys that I feel really good about. This year just feels different, I'll admit that it feels like things are starting to fall apart. Without the best QB of all time this team is very average.

(and yes I know Welker and Mayo aren't on that list and the Pats won 11 games with Cassell)

Are you implying BB, lost in today's NFL, is flailing desperately from season to season for some kind of quick fix strategy to give the Pats one last playoff run before he steps aside?

Because I don't agree with that! :mad:

I think BB will get the most out of the talent he has, which will hopefully mean the division title and a home playoff game. Afterward, who knows?

And I'm sure the Pats will fix the pass rush and the secondary in the off-season, and the 2011 team will be even better! :rocker:

Last edited:
Re: Reiss:An ominous sign ?

Using this logic, you can excuse everything ever done in football.

Look back at the post you referenced. It contained facts or my opinions (which I don't believe are controversial). No weird logic, difficult to apply to other situations and it excuses nothing. For so few words, you went really far off the rails.

Practice squad. Let's not play games here.

No games. My quote was "still with the team". Unless he doesn't show up for practice this week, that is a fact. My point was that judging Ohrnberger's eventual value to the Pats at this point is difficult since he is still with the team. Just like Connolly, a past PS player that has turned out to be pretty useful right about now.

Yes, bringing up the O-line players that got cut because they weren't good enough is unfair of me when I'm talking about offensive line woes. :bricks:

Didn't say it was unfair. Said I can't believe you are using those particular names (Bussey, Welch, Ghiacius, Simmons and Stapleton) as evidence of anything besides the fact that more OL candidates are invited to camp that can possibly make the squad. If those 5 players made the team, 5 others would have to go and you could make the same point.

Is the current OL the best in the league? I don't think so. However, saying there are "woes" without anything to back it up does seem unfair. What do they need to do to not be woeful? Put something quantifiable down and then be man enough to stand by it.

Sucks. Was going to get cut. Patriots are in so much trouble on the line that this guy actually has become a part of the team to date.

What do you know about him to be able to declare he sucks? He doesn't count against the roster at this point and if it turns out that he does suck, he goes away. He certainly isn't a starter and would have to pass LeVoir to even be a gameday active. How does he stack up against the 4th tackle/5th guard on other teams?

No problem with conversion projects on the practice squad. However, when you're claiming him for the 53, that's a different issue.

Didn't know Maneri existed until today. Again, he is currently positioned as a gameday inactive. I highly doubt his presence alters the Pats positively or negatively this year. And if injuries start to mount, he may lose his spot. Do you really think he lines up at tackle for the Pats this year? And who do you expect to be occupying the bottom of the roster now? Vets and high draft picks that like to practice but hate the hassle of dressing for games?

You have no idea what happened, so the "next move" comment has no basis. The Patriots did something to piss off Mankins when they didn't have to. Right or wrong is irrelevant at this point, since we're talking about the present situation.

I feel pretty confident that if Mankins doesn't call the Pats, they aren't calling him. That is the basis for my comment. Feel free to disagree but someone is going to have to initiate contact...and if you think the Pats are going to do it, I'm not sure if you will find may people agreeing with you.

As for the Pats doing something to piss Mankins off, what is your basis for that comment? That Mankins is pissed off? Of course he is. He isn't getting what he wants. So what did the Pats do to piss him off? Make him an offer he didn't like? So if the Pats don't pay a player what he wants, they unnecessarily piss them off? Not sure how you would know what the Pats did besides make Mankins an offer he didn't like.

I'd like him to be back tomorrow. The reality is that he's recovering from surgery.

Had surgery about 3 weeks ago. Don't know exactly what it was for (heard back pain for a bulging disc) but recovery time for back surgery is wildly variable. Do you know exactly what he had done and what the expected recovery time is?

It demonstrates the disaster that is the current offensive line. It's 4.5 players deep, and that's it.

At least now you are looking at the players that are likely to be active. The line is pretty thin with unknowns outside the top 7 (unless/until Kaczur returns). Connolly and LeVoir have filled in well in the past so I'm not sure why you only get .5 between the two of them. Not a big Wendell fan but I'm assuming they are keeping him around for a reason. I do agree that the Pats better hope the OL stays relatively healthy...but I bet you could say that for every team (unless you know of a team sitting on 3-4 All-Pro backups).

What does that have to do with the problems of the offensive line?

What problems specifically? The fact that you don't like them?

Now this is good comedy.

Lets break down my post and see which part amuses you...

"With Warren, Bodden and McGowan on IR, the defense will have to grow up fast." - Is that funny?

"If they don't, the Pats will have some struggles this year." - Laughing yet?

"Take 3 comparable players off any defense and you will likely be saying the same thing." - Give it a try chuckles, it should be fun.

"If they do play to their potential, the Pats should be favored in every game they play." - Obviously this tickled your funny bone.

If the youngsters on defense play to their potential, I can't see the Pats as an underdog at home (actually can't see them as an underdog at home regardless). The only road games in question are the Jets, Fins, Steelers and Bolts. The Jets won't have Holmes and Pace and may not have Revis. The Fins have as may questions on defense and not nearly the offensive firepower. The Steelers are a mess and may never recover from Roethlisberger being out. The Chargers are the one game where I will walk back from my statement. Can't see the Pats favored unless the Bolts melt down and don't think that will happen with their schedule. So I'll amend:

"If they do play to their potential, the Pats should be favored in 93.75% of the games they play."

It is probably less comedic for you, which is unfortunate given all the laughs your insight has brought to the board over the years.

I think I'm just going to go along with the flow here and **** my pants just like Deus. I mean, every team's fans can use a collective pants ****ting before the regular season even starts, right?

This thread is hillarious. OH NO!! The Pats had to trade for and/or claim some guys! That mean their roster must have been full of crappy players! Because no other good team, Patriot or otherwise, has ever done that before.

It is too bad they weren't sellers of scrub players like that 2009 Patriots juggernaut who were able to spin LeKevin Smith, O'Calaghan and Dave Thomas into future picks. Man, that was the good old days.

I bet those pathetic NO Saints wish they were sellers instead of buyers last year, too. :bricks:

Seriously, Reiss is a good reporter who has a strong track record of verifying information before putting it out there, which gives him a leg up on the crap the media outlets have passed for reporters lately. But when he tries to use his head analytically, the results are rarely good.

They say that games that REALLY count are the ones in december but I would think that if the Bengals put up 30 or more this sunday,win or lose,then we have something to worry about

They say that games that REALLY count are the ones in december but I would think that if the Bengals put up 30 or more this sunday,win or lose,then we have something to worry about
Yeah, like the server crashing.

I think I'm just going to go along with the flow here and **** my pants just like Deus. I mean, every team's fans can use a collective pants ****ting before the regular season even starts, right?

Your ability to miss the point continues to be impressive.

Is it possible that BB is going to run a more attacking defense now that hes loaded up on youngsters. If he did it would surprise the hell out of a lot of people wouldnt it? .:eek:

Look back at the post you referenced. It contained facts or my opinions (which I don't believe are controversial). No weird logic, difficult to apply to other situations and it excuses nothing. For so few words, you went really far off the rails.

I didn't go off any rails. Your argument was lousy because it excludes nothing. There's no round where picks not making it is an uncommon thing, and every player that's good enough to make it to an NFL tryout has the potential to develop.

No games. My quote was "still with the team". Unless he doesn't show up for practice this week, that is a fact. My point was that judging Ohrnberger's eventual value to the Pats at this point is difficult since he is still with the team. Just like Connolly, a past PS player that has turned out to be pretty useful right about now.

He's not on the Patriots roster. He was cut from the team. He's on the practice squad, and any team in the league can sign him if he agrees to it. Your point was irrelevant in the context of the post of mine that you were responding to.

Didn't say it was unfair. Said I can't believe you are using those particular names (Bussey, Welch, Ghiacius, Simmons and Stapleton) as evidence of anything besides the fact that more OL candidates are invited to camp that can possibly make the squad. If those 5 players made the team, 5 others would have to go and you could make the same point.

Those players were the players on the line throughout the offseason. With Connolly moving into the starting position, only 2 backups managed to remain on the squad (LeVoir, Wendell), as 2 players were brought in as last minute replacements.

Is the current OL the best in the league? I don't think so. However, saying there are "woes" without anything to back it up does seem unfair. What do they need to do to not be woeful? Put something quantifiable down and then be man enough to stand by it.

I did back it up. Your refusal to admit to obvious points doesn't change that.

What do you know about him to be able to declare he sucks? He doesn't count against the roster at this point and if it turns out that he does suck, he goes away. He certainly isn't a starter and would have to pass LeVoir to even be a gameday active. How does he stack up against the 4th tackle/5th guard on other teams?

I've seen him play. I've spoken to Saints fans who've seen him play. That's how.

Didn't know Maneri existed until today. Again, he is currently positioned as a gameday inactive. I highly doubt his presence alters the Pats positively or negatively this year. And if injuries start to mount, he may lose his spot. Do you really think he lines up at tackle for the Pats this year? And who do you expect to be occupying the bottom of the roster now? Vets and high draft picks that like to practice but hate the hassle of dressing for games?

His presence takes up a roster spot. If he's not ready to play, how is that a positive? You keep neglecting the obvious, which is that the Patriots jettisoned all their players in order to bring in players from other teams that couldn't make it there.

I feel pretty confident that if Mankins doesn't call the Pats, they aren't calling him. That is the basis for my comment. Feel free to disagree but someone is going to have to initiate contact...and if you think the Pats are going to do it, I'm not sure if you will find may people agreeing with you.

Let me use your own words here: saying "Next move is his, not the Pats." without anything to back it up does seem unfair.

As for the Pats doing something to piss Mankins off, what is your basis for that comment? That Mankins is pissed off? Of course he is. He isn't getting what he wants. So what did the Pats do to piss him off? Make him an offer he didn't like? So if the Pats don't pay a player what he wants, they unnecessarily piss them off? Not sure how you would know what the Pats did besides make Mankins an offer he didn't like.

What was done is, again, irrelevant to my post. He's not playing because it was done.

Had surgery about 3 weeks ago. Don't know exactly what it was for (heard back pain for a bulging disc) but recovery time for back surgery is wildly variable. Do you know exactly what he had done and what the expected recovery time is?

No, but why do you keep asking questions and making assertions that are absolutely irrelevant to the issue at hand? He's out now, and they've scrambing to find the players for their o-line. This isn't something that should have been difficult for you to figure out or accept.

BTW, the gameday inactives for week #1 as I see it (Price, Deaderick, Maneri, Love, Fletcher, Wheatley, BJGE, Kaczur) has a ton of potential.
Heh now, there's an exercise in futility which should be fun and doesn't require me to commit hara-kiri in blind obeisance to the dictates of nihilistic fandom. :p

Game One in-actives:
Kaczur (back)
Maneri (new)
Brace (ankle)
Page (new)
Edelman (decapitated)
Arrington (esophagitis)
Pryor (hand)
Cunningham (crablitis)

Are you implying BB, lost in today's NFL, is flailing desperately from season to season for some kind of quick fix strategy to give the Pats one last playoff run before he steps aside?

Because I don't agree with that! :mad:

I think BB will get the most out of the talent he has, which will hopefully mean the division title and a home playoff game. Afterward, who knows?

And I'm sure the Pats will fix the pass rush and the secondary in the off-season, and the 2011 team will be even better! :rocker:

==============================================

No, I am simply saying that maybe he has decided to change the way things are run, not a slam.

The NFL is constantly evolving and BB is part of that.

Is it possible that BB is going to run a more attacking defense now that hes loaded up on youngsters. If he did it would surprise the hell out of a lot of people wouldnt it? .:eek:

=========================================

This is what I meant. In a general sense.

Heh now, there's an exercise in futility which should be fun and doesn't require me to commit hara-kiri in blind obeisance to the dictates of nihilistic fandom. :p

Game One in-actives:
Kaczur (back)
Maneri (new)
Brace (ankle)
Page (new)
Edelman (decapitated)
Arrington (esophagitis)
Pryor (hand)
Cunningham (crablitis)

Here's how BB will write out the injury list:

Brady: Right shoulder, probable
Kaczur: Back scratch, out.
Brace: Right shoulder, probable
Edelman: Right shoulder, probable
Cunningham: Right shoulder, questionable
Maneri: Right shoulder, probable.
Pryor: Right shoulder, probable

At least now you are looking at the players that are likely to be active. The line is pretty thin with unknowns outside the top 7 (unless/until Kaczur returns). Connolly and LeVoir have filled in well in the past so I'm not sure why you only get .5 between the two of them. Not a big Wendell fan but I'm assuming they are keeping him around for a reason. I do agree that the Pats better hope the OL stays relatively healthy...but I bet you could say that for every team (unless you know of a team sitting on 3-4 All-Pro backups).

The line is 4.5 players deep. On a team with major problems at linebacker, defensive line, a huge question mark at cornerback and the need to protect the best QB in the game, that's a disaster just waiting to happen.

What problems specifically? The fact that you don't like them?

Been over it time and again. Also, anyone who watched the team play in the preseason saw the problems, including the coaching staff. If you think I'm off base, you should give BB and company a call, because they weren't happy with it either.

Lets break down my post and see which part amuses you...

"With Warren, Bodden and McGowan on IR, the defense will have to grow up fast." - Is that funny?

Well, the fact that you lumped McGowan in with Warren and Bodden is amusing, yes.

"If they don't, the Pats will have some struggles this year." - Laughing yet?

Yes, because growing up isn't the problem at a lot of positions

"Take 3 comparable players off any defense and you will likely be saying the same thing." - Give it a try chuckles, it should be fun.

No, actually, this is a pretty accurate statement. It's irrelevant to the post I'd made, but at least it was accurate. It's just too bad that most of your post wasn't as accurate.

"If they do play to their potential, the Pats should be favored in every game they play." - Obviously this tickled your funny bone.

Indeed. This was absolutely hysterical. You have no idea what their potential is, yet you're making this claim. That's quality humor.

If the youngsters on defense play to their potential, I can't see the Pats as an underdog at home (actually can't see them as an underdog at home regardless). The only road games in question are the Jets, Fins, Steelers and Bolts. The Jets won't have Holmes and Pace and may not have Revis. The Fins have as may questions on defense and not nearly the offensive firepower. The Steelers are a mess and may never recover from Roethlisberger being out. The Chargers are the one game where I will walk back from my statement. Can't see the Pats favored unless the Bolts melt down and don't think that will happen with their schedule. So I'll amend:

"If they do play to their potential, the Pats should be favored in 93.75% of the games they play."

If you can't figure out why this is comedy gold, you've become more lost in your homerism than I'd thought.

Last edited:

I didn't go off any rails. Your argument was lousy because it excludes nothing. There's no round where picks not making it is an uncommon thing, and every player that's good enough to make it to an NFL tryout has the potential to develop.

You can't be this stupid.

He's not on the Patriots roster. He was cut from the team. He's on the practice squad, and any team in the league can sign him if he agrees to it. Your point was irrelevant in the context of the post of mine that you were responding to.

He was cut from the team and is back on the team. That is how the PS works. So "Ohrnberger - Cut" is not the same as "O'Connell - Cut". Making the distinction that he is still on the team and may yet contribute to the Pats is completely relevant in that context.

Those players were the players on the line throughout the offseason. With Connolly moving into the starting position, only 2 backups managed to remain on the squad (LeVoir, Wendell), as 2 players were brought in as last minute replacements.

The Pats tried to upgrade the back of the OL depth chart while still keeping prospects on the PS (didn't work with Larsen). Why does this bother you so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back