PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Alexander, Krug, Britt signed, Sam not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

January 26, 2006
3 signed
Posted By: mreiss | Time: 02:40:04 PM

Four Patriots practice squad players had their contracts expire on Monday, and three have been re-signed to "future" deals.

On Monday, the practice squad contracts of linebacker Eric Alexander, offensive tackle Wesley Britt, offensive guard Ryan Krug and receiver P.K. Sam expired.

The team quickly reached contract agreements with Alexander, Britt and Krug on "future" deals. Sam, as of Tuesday, had yet to re-sign with the Patriots.

A "future" contract means that those players will join the team when rosters expand to 80 next month.

+++

For those who might have missed it, the plans of the Kraft family to develop around Gillette Stadium were detailed in a story in Wednesday's Boston Globe.

+++

Looking ahead, updates to the blog won't be as frequent as the regular-season pace. The plan is to post updates when news occurs.

--Mike

pats1 said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

January 26, 2006
3 signed
Posted By: mreiss | Time: 02:40:04 PM

Looking ahead, updates to the blog won't be as frequent as the regular-season pace. The plan is to post updates when news occurs.

--Mike

...sigh...

PK we hardly knew ye (although many had big plans for you). I wonder if we will see either of our enigmatic and oft injured young WR (Sam and Bethel) in a Pats uniform again.

Felger has been saying for weeks now that Bethel is history, and that he believes Troy will definitely be back if he wants to be.

I'm keeping hope alive that Andre Davis can come in and be the #3 WR & play special teams. I think a full TC w/the team will help.

Bethel being gone is such a bummer if it happens. He always handled kickoffs well last year, running straight upfield with little dancing. He'd make one cut and that's it. Bethel as a WR ... well... aside from some nice long catches... there's not much to say.

According to Miguel's numbers, the Pats only save $134k in cap space by cutting Bethel Johnson. Since it would cost double that to replace him with a rookie free agent, the dollars suggest he probably gets another year, even if it is to ride the bench as the 6th WR and backup kick returner.

What would be the point of cutting Bethel before TC? He's under contract for 2 more years at minimum salary. Bethel will be back to compete for a roster spot in TC. Whether he makes the roster is a completely different question.

hwc said:
According to Miguel's numbers, the Pats only save $134k in cap space by cutting Bethel Johnson. Since it would cost double that to replace him with a rookie free agent, the dollars suggest he probably gets another year, even if it is to ride the bench as the 6th WR and backup kick returner.

Miguel has Bethel's 2006 cap hit if cut at $700 k (his remaining signing bonus).

I don't think anyone was thinking about Bethel as a cap casualty of the offseason.

More likely he gets cut in TC because we don't want to waste a roster spot on a WR/KR who is useless as a WR and was not all that good as a KR as evidenced by his being 25th in the NFL this year.

hwc said:
Dollars count, but in this case they are very small. If Bethel isn't the guy, it would be foolish to keep him in order to save the $134k it would take to get a better player.

dhamz said:
I don't think anyone was thinking about Bethel as a cap casualty of the offseason.

More likely he gets cut in TC because we don't want to waste a roster spot on a WR/KR who is useless as a WR and was not all that good as a KR as evidenced by his being 25th in the NFL this year.

You can't blame Bethel's rank solely on him. The kick return unit wasn't exactly impressive this year. Particularly Chatham, TBC, and Izzo.

The Unit, as a whole, was ranked 15th with a 22.2 YPR avg. Bethel was only slightly better than the team avg. He avg. 22.4 YPR. Hobbs avg. 24.1 YPR and Dwight avg. 25 YPR. Only Andre Davis avg. more. He avg'd 36 YPR, but he only had 3 returns and 1 of them was a 65 yard return.

The Pats need some people who can really block on that unit.

Last edited:
Bethel Johnson

Personally, I think its too soon to give up on Bethel Johnson. He's been in the NFL 3 years. There is absolutely no question we have seen glimpses of his ability both with great KO returns, as well as some excellent play at times at WR. (Remember the plays he has made in the playoffs, and some very good clutch catches). There is also the contributing factor that he entered his rookie year coming off major surgery and entered 2005 training camp as a speed guy who couldnt walk.

Here are some numbers to consider:

A) 39 games- 7 starts- 30 receptions- 450 yards- 15.0 per catch
B) 37- 0- 16 -181- 11.3

A) 102 kick returns 2557 yards- 25.1 avg
B) 47- 929- 19.8

A) 6 punt returns, 21 yards, 3.5 ypreturn
B) 49-462-8.8

A) 3 fumbles
B) 5 fumbles

A) are Bethel Johnsons first 3 years in the NFL. B) are Troy Browns.

Are we being a little hasty?

Some other examples:
Brandon Stokely 36 rec 1st 3years
Amani Tommer 44
Donald Driver 37
Keenan McCardell 24, in 4 years.

There is too much talent there to give up, in my opinion. And its not just 'potential' its the plays Ive seen on the field. Granted there have not been enough but the plays he has made show the talent exists. Could the injuries be the only thing that has held him back?

There is absolutely no harm in allowing Bethel Johnson to compete for reps and roster spot in camp. That being said, we wasted a spot carrying six WR's last year, and I hope that we don't do this again. Bethel certainly has the talent to be a kick returner and #4 or #5 receiver.

However, I can't see the team counting on Bethel or even Davis. I believe that we will add some receivers in free agency and the draft. I think we need two: Givens or replacement and one more.

Let's face it. Sam got a 2 year free ride. Besides his one indescretion where he got suspended (Super Bowl week no less), he was a waste of practice squad space. He killed his own career by coming out a year early. The only words he will ever speak to the public will be either, "you want fries with that" or "paper or plastic".

Look at the difference in maturity between late draft choices. 7th rounder David Givens, works his butt off in camp as a rookie so he doesn't get cut, plays a little as a rookie because of injuries, and makes an impression. Offseason spent with a jugs machine and learning the offense, and getting stronger. End of second season, starting in a SB and catching a TD pass.

5th rounder P.K.Sam comes into camp as one of the Pats few choices as a big receiver. Never gets out of camp. Goes to practice squad and gets into trouble. Offseason ? Who knows what he did, but gets to training camp next season and get's injured once again. 2 season, 0 catches, and I think 1 game active. Total waste of space. Same can be said for Bethel, he never seems to try to get better as a receiver, and accepts his mediocracy. His typical kickoff routine, catch ball, run fast, get knocked down by either a fingertip or a stiff wind. For a solid 200 pounder (he's listed as 200), he goes down faster than Paris Hilton.

I'm ready to be done with these guys. Let's face it, you either have it or you don't, Sam & Bethel are not NFL Wide Receivers, and may never be.

scott99 said:
Let's face it. Sam got a 2 year free ride. Besides his one indescretion where he got suspended (Super Bowl week no less), he was a waste of practice squad space. He killed his own career by coming out a year early. The only words he will ever speak to the public will be either, "you want fries with that" or "paper or plastic".

Look at the difference in maturity between late draft choices. 7th rounder David Givens, works his butt off in camp as a rookie so he doesn't get cut, plays a little as a rookie because of injuries, and makes an impression. Offseason spent with a jugs machine and learning the offense, and getting stronger. End of second season, starting in a SB and catching a TD pass.

5th rounder P.K.Sam comes into camp as one of the Pats few choices as a big receiver. Never gets out of camp. Goes to practice squad and gets into trouble. Offseason ? Who knows what he did, but gets to training camp next season and get's injured once again. 2 season, 0 catches, and I think 1 game active. Total waste of space. Same can be said for Bethel, he never seems to try to get better as a receiver, and accepts his mediocracy. His typical kickoff routine, catch ball, run fast, get knocked down by either a fingertip or a stiff wind. For a solid 200 pounder (he's listed as 200), he goes down faster than Paris Hilton.

I'm ready to be done with these guys. Let's face it, you either have it or you don't, Sam & Bethel are not NFL Wide Receivers, and may never be.

Sorry Scott, but your BS about Sam only saying "You want fries with that" really is over-board. Sam is still only 23. And we don't know if he wasn't resigned of if the Patriots sent a contract and he is mulling it over.

Also, Sam made the team out of Training camp his rookie year. They could have cut him then and didn't. That should tell you something.

Branch took Sam under his wing last off-season. And Sam responded. At least according to Branch. One reason he probably wasn't activated off the practice squad is that Childress could replace Troy Brown as the KR/PR/WR/DB. Sam wasn't very good in college at KR or PR. So why bring him up.

If Sam isn't brought back, then so be it. But this ripping into the kid is just mind-blowing. Its not like he is Marcus Vick and a douche who pulls a gun on people.

One last thing. Givens was 23 when he was drafted. Not 21. 2 years is a lot of difference.

Last edited:
All good stuff Bruinz. I can't make up my mind one way or another on either Sam or Bethel, so I'm just kind of in 'wait and see what BB does' mode with them both.
DaBruinz said:
One last thing. Givens was 23 when he was drafted. Not 21. 2 years is a lot of difference.
Especially true at that age. The difference between being 31 and 33 is negligible, but there's a world of difference between 21 and 23.

pats1 said:
Miguel has Bethel's 2006 cap hit if cut at $700 k (his remaining signing bonus).

Right.

He costs $700k if we cut him.

He costs $834k if we keep him.

That means he's basically a freebie (well, half the cost of an undrafted rookie free agent bum).

Since we don't have any other receivers under contract other than Branch, we are going to it have to spend cap money we don't have to go sign some. My guess is that, whatever Bethel's flaws may be, he's better than any receiver we could go sign for $134k.

At a certain point when trying to fill a 53 man roster (or in the case of the Pats injuries, a 65 man roster), you aren't really looking for a pro bowl player. If you can get (or keep) a warm body for $134k in new money, you take him.

what about Dwight?

I thought he showed some spark when he was on the return teams. Any chance he'll re-up?

hwc said:
Right.

He costs $700k if we cut him.

He costs $834k if we keep him.

That means he's basically a freebie (well, half the cost of an undrafted rookie free agent bum).

Since we don't have any other receivers under contract other than Branch, we are going to it have to spend cap money we don't have to go sign some. My guess is that, whatever Bethel's flaws may be, he's better than any receiver we could go sign for $134k.

At a certain point when trying to fill a 53 man roster (or in the case of the Pats injuries, a 65 man roster), you aren't really looking for a pro bowl player. If you can get (or keep) a warm body for $134k in new money, you take him.

Not if your plan is to win another superbowl. The roster spot itself is too valuable to waste on a mere warm body, especially at WR when you have a QB like Brady heading the roster. BB has another saying: This isn't college and you don't get to red shirt. Bethel made the roster in 2005 by the slimmest of margins. Had Davis or Terrell done anyting to justify keeping him, Bethel was a gonner then. This season was basically another bust. Couldn't even stay on the field in the return game. He appeared to have lost a step, he's becoming alarmingly fragile, and he can't run routes. PK never made it back off the practice squad, nor did anyone else snap him up. He seemed to be taken aback by being placed on the pratice squad. Perhaps he didn't adapt to it all that well.

Trust me, I'm no Bethel Johnson fan. I'm just saying that the Pats are currently over the cap, have limited ability to free up cap room, don't have many receivers (or a kicker) under contract, and have some key players that are going to be looking for big contracts.

Realistically, the 5th wide receiver on the Pats roster is going to be a cheap, vet minimum guy -- a Bethel Johnson off somebody else's roster. Double Bethel's new money to $260k so you can sign an undrafted free agent stiff. I don't think you'll get an upgrade over Bethel's minimal contribution. Heck, for the $134k in new money we'll be payin' Bethel, you'll be lucky to find a guy who can even catch a kickoff, let alone return it for 20 yards.

The Pats aren't in cap jail, but they aren't in a position to be throwin' money at 5th wide receivers.

old 55 said:
I thought he showed some spark when he was on the return teams. Any chance he'll re-up?[/QUOTE
I think I remember him being quoted in a local paper recently saying that he'd like to be back next year with the Pats.

You make a good point... I think much of the frustration comes from his being a 2nd round pick versus Brown being, what, a 13th rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots