PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss, Afternoon Practice. Wrap up for day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdo5

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Day 5 wrap

Wrapping up Day 5 of training camp, as the Patriots had a morning workout (8:45) on the practice fields, and then a night practice inside Gillette Stadium (6:30 p.m.) for season-ticket holders and Foxborough residents.

Some notes from the night practice:

* Attendance for the night practice was 11,881.

* The session was held in shorts, shoulder pads, and helmets.

* Receiver John Stone pulled up during one drill and was tended to by the team's trainers. He didn't return.

* Tight end David Thomas, who has caught most everything thrown his way, had his first noticeable drop in the evening session.

* The team finished the practice by putting 1:30 on the clock and attempting to drive 65 yards for a touchdown. Quarterback Tom Brady was firing away, connecting with Kevin Faulk a few times underneath and Benjamin Watson outside the hash marks, before connecting with Troy Brown for a touchdown.

* Earlier in practice, receiver Reche Caldwell continued to distinguish himself with some nice plays, making a long catch on a Brady pass with Chad Scott in coverage. The ball was thrown down the right side of the field.

Wednesday schedule:
2:30 -- Practice

Bill Belichick is scheduled to hold a press conference at 11:20 a.m. ET. We'll plan on posting our first update shortly after Belichick's press conference.
Breer has his up, mentions some of the same stuff.

A lot of situational work tonight, particularly in the two-minute drill. Here’s what transpired:

– LB Barry Gardner and Don Davis continued to work with the first defense on the inside, with Tedy Bruschi and Monty Beisel sidelined.

– The first secondary in the base defense had Eugene Wilson and Ellis Hobbs as the corners and Artrell Hawkins and James Sanders at safety.

– Oft-moved defender Dan Klecko saw time at middle linebacker in the goal-line 6-1 look.

– WR John Stone, who’s made some waves, pulled up lame after sliding to catch a ball 35 yards downfield from Tom Brady. He worked with the training staff to the side and didn’t return.

– The team did take a shot at a Hail Mary, which didn’t work, and also had the field-goal team rush on the field, another thing that couldn’t be completed.

– The entertaining two-minute work closed practice and the first offense looked as sharp as it has through the first five days. With a more complete complement of receivers, Brady led the team 65 yards to a touchdown in the 1:30 allotted, hitting Troy Brown by the right pylon as time expired to finish the march. A visibly excited Brady then rushed over to Brown, lying on the ground, grabbed him to pull him to his feet and slapped him on top of the helmet. In addition to Brown, WRs Reche Caldwell (who continues to impress), Chad Jackson and Matt Shelton worked with the first group. The second team, working in the same parameters, just missed a score when an errant pass from Matt Cassel bounced off an outstretched Keron Henry’s hands in the back of the end zone.

– The practice was attended by 11,881 fans, who inhabited the lower bowl and red club seats.

Last edited:
Caldwell really seems to be distinguishing himself. I never trust the Chargers with wide receivers, they haven't seemed to do anything developing them in recent history. Gates was the dumbest stroke of luck imaginable. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Caldwell turns out to be a very solid #2 guy, and was simply on the wrong team.

Caldwell definitely seems to be the big riser so far - and the Wilson at CB with Sanders and Hawkins at Safety seems legit. Those two might be our starting Safeties until Rodney gets back.

Last edited by a moderator:
as for Wilson playing CB .. could mean

1. They want to see him at CB..possibly play there
2. To work on man coverage a little more..you know..take on WRs sometimes instead of playing back
3. More talent at Safety than at Corner
4. Experimenting different sets

Remix 6 said:
as for Wilson playing CB .. could mean
I think the reality is that Samuel is a FA at the end of the year; plus, IMO, is a better inside nickel guy than outside guy. With Gay still not back from last midseason (what did he do to that ankle, anyway), there's not a great deal of talent. Hobbs/Wilson/Samuel is pretty decent assuming Wilson can do it after the CB layoff but take Wilson out and it's real thin.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's up with Bruschi and Beisel both being out? That worries me.

PromisedLand said:
What's up with Bruschi and Beisel both being out? That worries me.
Rest from a tough camp so far . . . just like Brady had a few days off.

BelichickFan said:
Rest from a tough camp so far . . . just like Brady had a few days off.
Hopefully that's all it is. But it started me thinking, who do we really have behind them if any 2 of our starting 4 linebackers go down?

If Vrabel or Colvin goes down Brown can hopefully do a decent job, and if Bruschi or Beisel goes down Vrabel can move inside and Brown can again replace him, but who is the NEXT option?

I think they are just preserving alot of the veterans by giving them time off. They did the same thing with McGinest last year.

One of the biggest things thus far seems the big jump Sanders has made from year one to year two.

Caldwell's issue is durability. His great camp could possibility be attributed to his knee being completey healed, this being the second season since he got injured.

Jesus, I'm glad they don't report on who goes to take a water break, otherwise everyone here would be worried about those players too.

Jackson growing a fro

ImgDyn.cfm

Last edited:
Afros are tight. Therefore Chad is definitley tight. Who was the last Patriot to have a fro anyways?

Remix 6 said:
Jackson growing a fro

not for long. the vets'll shave that FAST.

BradyisGod said:
Jesus, I'm glad they don't report on who goes to take a water break, otherwise everyone here would be worried about those players too.
Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi suffered a possible wrist fracture at practice Monday and will be sidelined for at least a week while the team determines the severity of the injury.
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=151009
How do you feel about that water break now, Mr. Pooh Pooh?

BradyisGod said:
I feel like Tedy missing a week of Training Camp, after he spent 8 weeks and all of training camp on the PUP last year is pretty much a non story.
It's such a non-story that ESPN is covering it on NFL Live and Sportscenter. It's such a non-story that he could be out for 6-8 weeks.

But that's not really my point at all. My point is that we have very little quality depth at linebacker. We have three proven quality starters: Bruschi, Vrabel and Colvin. That's to fill four starting linebacker positions. Beyond that, we have a bunch of question marks:

? Will Beisel be able to step up in his second year in the system?

? Will Chad Brown be able to play OLB in a 3-4 at a high level, after failing at ILB last year?

? Will TBC be able to take over a starting role and play well if necessary?

? Will anyone else step up (Mincey, Alexander, ???)

Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL, and linebacker is one of the most violent positions. Bruschi, Vrabel and Colvin have all missed significant time due to injuries over the past 3 seasons, and there is no reason to believe that all three of them will start 16 games plus (hopefully) 3 playoff games this year, especially given the fact that they are aging. When I look at the depth chart at the LB position I am not inspired to confidence. Compare our depth chart today to that we had going into the 2003 season:

ILB: Bruschi, T Johnson - two high quality starters
OLB: McGinest, Vrabel - two high quality starters

Beyond that we had Rosy Colvin fresh off 2 consecutive seasons with 10+ sacks. So we had at least 5 quality players in the LB corps. Today we have only 3 proven starters.

If you are comfortable with this group you are simply looking at the team with "homer colored glasses", to borrow a phrase from another poster.

Obviously 6-8 weeks is a lot different than the 1 week time frame that was on your post. So my bad on that.

However, just don't let ESPN and NFL live determine for you what truly is important or not. Otherwise you'll end up worried about TO all the time. ;)

BradyisGod said:
Obviously 6-8 weeks is a lot different than the 1 week time frame that was on your post. So my bad on that.

However, just don't let ESPN and NFL live determine for you what truly is important or not. Otherwise you'll end up worried about TO all the time. ;)
What!? You're not concerned about whether Donovan McNabb still has hurt feelings? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back