Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reiss 7/26 AM notes

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +423 / 14 / -2

#12 Jersey

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Good stuff from Reiss as usual. Today there was an emphasis on the running game. He had an interesting note on the tightends too:

It's VERY important that our tightends improve in that area. By the way, do you guys realize that all or our tightends are healthy and participating in training camp so far. :eek: Stunning. That hasn't happened in A LOOOONG TIME.

2. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +326 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

I enjoyed watching Dave Thomas in 06. The kid has very good hands imo. He's a great asset for Watson.

3. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Interesting that Tank was at 1st string ILB with Bruschi 2 practices in a row...not sure this says much in and of itself as it is TC but I wasn't really expecting that...I'd have figured Harrison moving up into that position before a guy who hasn't played with us before, let alone played with us at ILB...

4. bbabin

bbabin On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was also somewhat intrigued by this. However, Harrison is on the PUP currently so if they're looking for a safety/LB hybrid, Williams is the guy.

This is going to be a very interesting preseason. I can't wait until the games so we can see Mayo and Hobson getting significant reps. It's exciting to see these new young faces at ILB.

5. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It makes for a heck of a 2nd and long defense while still protecting against the run...

On a similar note: Anybody have any insight into "Bubba" Ventrone working with the Offense in the morning workout? :wha:

6. jbb9s

jbb9s In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well Ben Watson was a first round draft pick so I don't think it is too much to expect that he can excel at all the responsibilities of his position.

7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 22 / -15

Disable Jersey

First thought is that BB favorite Ventrone like certain punters has sompromising pictures of BB, perhaps at a farm. I dunno.

Could also be a shortage of guys to throw to with 4 QBs.

Possibly extreme disaster depth at WR. Was he playing slot receiver, a depth backup should Welker go down?

8. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 18 / -8

#3 Jersey

FWIW, it was the coaches' decision to have Bubba working out at WR.

As I said before, Ventrone has two notable characteristics: speed, and the ability to hit like a mule kick. :) If he can be at least a credible threat at receiver, then they can turn his skills loose on DBs and LBs in the passing/running games.

9. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

I'm reading 2 things into the (first team) Tank / Bruschi, (second team) Hobson / Mayo.

(a) Early in TC, the coaches give more reps to situations that might come up, but aren't the bread and butter defense. For example, playing a safety at nickelback in case the CB depth gets strained. Or playing a DE at NT. So if it happens in the middle of a game, those guys aren't seeing the position for the first time. As TC wears on, the standard positions get the most reps. Maybe Harrison will be the standard ILB against fast light teams and Williams the backup. And of course, Harrison on PUP. But that begs the question:

(b) Why isn't Bru working with Mayo or Hobson if he's the font of knowledge and they the sponges? Ans. because the Hobson/Mayo combo is the future and they want these two guys working together from the get-go. As much as they have to learn from Bru, they have to learn to read each other, to work together.

In the end, wanting Hobson & Mayo to learn together may have driven the Bruschi / Williams tandem.

Yeah, yeah, it's a stretch. Rainy sunday morning rambling.

10. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

You'd think BB would know not to patronize any farms on Long Island...

11. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

The photos I saw had him working with the O-line/RBs...has there been a report of him working at WR? (I can't wait until this darned home buying/remodeling/move headache is over so I can get back to my primary job of reading Patriots' news items!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.