Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reid To Bush: No Recess Appointments Wanted

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -6

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/16/politics/politico/thecrypt/main3516002.shtml

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will bring the Senate in for a series of pro forma sessions over the next two weeks in order to avoid recess appointments by President Bush.

The Senate will convene every couple of days - Nov. 20, Nov. 23, Nov. 27, Nov. 29 - in order to prevent Bush from taking advantage of its absence to place individuals in positions requiring Senate confirmation.

Bush has made several controversial recess appointments, including John Bolton as U.S. representative to the United Nations in Aug. 2005, when the Senate would not confirm the individuals. Bolton later resigned from the U.N. post when the Senate refused to confirm his nomination.

In April 2007, Bush appointed Sam Fox as U.S. ambassador to Belgium. Fox gave $50,000 to the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth during the 2004 presidential campaign. Fox's appointment infuriated Reid and other Democrats, including Sen. John Kerry (Mass.), the target of the Swift Boat campaign. Reid vowed that, in the future, he would move to head off any more recess appointments, but the White House and Senate Democrats were able to work out a compromise to cover the August break.
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's right. Only Bill Clinton is allowed to do that. Because "he cares more".

//
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you're like a trained monkey in a display case at the zoo.... controlled, predictable, tired, lifeless...

deflecting to Bill Clinton in every thread doesn't win you a single argument here... never has... it only isolates you as a guy who has no ammunition, and is resorting to throwing sand at his opponents...
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's apparent the truth hurts, but go to your doctor and tell him to lie to you.

You don't want to admit to the double-standard of the Dems, but it's plain as day to everybody else.

And if anybody's tired around here it's those who think the Dems are going to rail-road Bush, while giving Clinton a tap on the wrist. I know karma comes as a shock, but better to learn sooner rather than later.

//
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol... and here you are, arguing with yourself again....

when did i indicate i didn't want to admit double standard by Dems, Pubs or any of the Pigs in the Beltway?... oh, that's right... just never...

do yourself a favor and stick to facts, not a strawman argument your opponent never uttered...
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

You forgot about masterbating in public. Monkeys I mean........
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Oh, so your constant obsession with "Boy King" and the "Reich" mongers is equally applied to both the Dems and the Repubs?????

And I bet you have a nice bridge in Brooklyn you can sell me real cheap.

And "Pigs in the Beltway"???!! Make your next cup decaffeinated why don't you.

//
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, see... the difference there, in case you can't conceptualize, is that Boy King is CURRENTLY in office, and has facilitated the unlawful killing of 160,000+ innocent civilians, stretched our military to the breaking point, and made one appointment after another MERGING church and state...

i mean, am i SUPPOSED to be complaining about Bill Clinton 7 years later just to make you feel better? lol...

i don't drink coffee, of any sort... but you stick to making up things... it's what you do...
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Recess appointments blow.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

I suppose they wouldn't be needed if the Senate did their job: give the nominees a hearing and have a flooor vote.

Unfortunatly the dems don't believe in the constitutional process.
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

wow....

please don't insinuate it's "the dems" who "don't believe in the constitutional process" ... shall we review the raping of the Bill of Rights the past 6 years now, or later when you suggest something else equally goofy?
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

My rights have been fine tha past 6 years hoave you been bugged or thrown in jail, or prevented from voicing your opinions?
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

who said anything about anyone being bugged or thrown in jail? LOL.... maybe later though, if things continue this way, unabated...

keeping the crux of your argument constantly moving is a transparent strategy i recognize about you, pf13... doing so as one hypocritical point after another gets obliterated isn't doing much for your overall justification... you do the same thing when discussing Plamegate... you'll present an apple, i'll present a different apple, then you switch to oranges and pretend i never mentioned a better apple...

as for Americans being prevented from voicing opinion, do you deny it's happening just because it hasn't happened to safe, obedient YOU?

would you like to discuss the story of Michael Ruppert? he's in Canada, fighting for his life, due to "liver toxicity" that doctors can not identify...
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -6

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +547 / 2 / -9

Democrats will scurry to work over the holiday like little children who won't let you play with their ball, what disgusting jealous bastards, Bush has driven them all nuts.

The Dingobats will be guarding the chicken coop and The Fox will be in his den laughing at them enjoying his turkey.
    :bricks:
  16. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +132 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Of course next Tuesday when 49 Republican Senators + Joe Liberman + the VP pass everything that is now stalled in the Senate!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be truely hilarious!!!!!!!!
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Were "recess appointments" such a big issue when Bill Clinton did them???

Aside from the few who actually noticed -- and who actually saw the blatant political scheming behind it -- I don't remember much play on this issue.

Actually, except for a few of the obsessed, it isn't making much of an impact now, either.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ-snorf-uaunhhhhhh-ZZZZZZZ-Z-Z-Z

//
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

It's funny to see people who side with one party 99% of the time, whine about something there own party did when they last held office, and vice versa. Why defend the indefensible, or attack that which you yourself have done? Both parties play stupid game of cat and mouse, while Joe Taxpayer pays the freight. Sadly, there are very few people who look at issues with the eyes of wrong or right. They first look to see what their party's position is, and then decide accordingly. Recess appointments blow. We're supposed to have an honest process, and sadly, niether side is ever honest.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -6

Actually, I have no idea what posts you're referring to. Maybe patsfan13, who seems to be the only one who's insisting on a double standard, claiming the Dems aren't doing their job, while I have no doubt he claimed the Republicans did their job during Clinton's admin. by blocking some key appointments.

As I see it, this is an inherently political issue and the Senate is doing its job by trying to force the administration to negotiate. That's how it always plays out with the handful of controversial appointments in each administration.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Let's just say you shouldn't be throwing an rocks. :p