PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Regular Season Trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
i think the NFL needs to establish a trophy for the regular season winner. The NHL may go overboard with al its trophies and cups,. But I think the NFL ought to recognize the Team every year, that has the best Regular season record.

I propose that the NFL create the Trophy.

Next I would like suggestions for who they should name the Trophy. I like naming it for tha Coach like the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Since the Bears under George Halas, had two undefeated regular seasons; the Browns under Paul Brown, had an undefeated regular season; and the Dolphins, Under dDon Shula, had an undefeated season, the Trophy, like the Vince Lombardi Trophy, ought to be named for one of these Coaches. (I think that the Belichick Trophy is a bit much, but I guess he is a candidate too).

I guess I favor calling it the George Halas Trophy. After all he had two undefeated regular season teams that lost their Championship games, so it ironically apropos.

But the Don Shula Trophy might be more appropriate. I know for whom Belichick would nominate it be named, he would name it the Paul Brown Trophy; since he believes Brown was the greatest pro football coach of all time. It would help right a wrong in that Browns Browns undefeated record is not recognized and been forgotten.

Do you like the idea of a regular season Trophy?

For one thing it might make the end of season games when a "team has nothing to play for" not quite that same situation. The Cowboys and Colts last game farces, might not have happened. Neither Team might have been so cavalier about losing their last games if there was a reason to do otherwise.

What do y'all think?:confused: :)

Last edited:
Would you be saying this if the Colts were 16-0 and the Pats 13-3?

Would you be saying this if the Colts were 16-0 and the Pats 13-3?

Sure! Why Not?

This would be a annual award just like the Lombardi Trophy. I don't even think the Patriots would be eligible, as it would be a new Trophy and arranging for it might take a year. The first award perhaps for the first time to the 2008 season winner. :D

You should've had a poll. This would've been voted down 99.99% to 0.01%. Guess who the latter is...

There should only be one trophy. We have the division title and can achieve the AFC title if we win the AFCCG game. Thats good enough. No need to start handing out stupid trophies left and right.

There should only be one trophy. We have the division title and can achieve the AFC title if we win the AFCCG game. Thats good enough. No need to start handing out stupid trophies left and right.
Actually, there are three trophies, and that is exactly the right number.

The George Halas Trophy for the NFC Champion, the Lamar Hunt Trophy goes to the AFC Champion, and the Lombardi Trophy goes to the NFL (Super Bowl) Champion. Of course the former two retain their rightful significance as the legacy of the pre-merger championships of the old NFL and AFL, respectively.

Now what would a regular season trophy add? And how the heck would you decide who to give it to, in the more than likely event of a tie? We would basically have a BCS championship in the NFL, with all the problems that that system (and the lack of a playoff) engenders.

Wow, this is a dumb idea.

Watch out, I think I'm going to be sick.:help:

I think the NFL ought to recognize the Team every year, that has the best Regular season record.

This assumes there is only one team with the best record every year?

You have got to be from the generation that played sports (soccer!) but didn't keep score and where every team and everybody got a trophy!

"....Gee Focker I didn't know they made trophies for 5th place...."

The Dan Marino Trophy of Excellence

Great...another reason for Colts fans to believe their accomplishments rival the Patriots.

Bill Polian, is that you?

Message to opposing fan bases... when you see this thread and link to it on your home boards to show how stupid us Patriot fans are, please take note that every response in this thread thinks this is the stupidest idea we've ever heard.

Last edited:
But the Don Shula Trophy might be more appropriate.

Given that this season (and probably many seasons prior); Don Shula has shown he's not in favor of regular season excellence; witnessed by his displays of happiness when the team with the best record is about to lose for the first time; I'd think it would be very inappropriate to call this award you propose the Shula Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes