PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reggie Wayne on Playing in New England: 'Who Wouldn't Want to Play There?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask yourself how well has the following geriatrics done while playing for the New England Patriots:

Kyle Brady
Joey Galloway
Shawn Springs
Shaun Ellis

Shrug.

Andre Carter.
Brian Waters
Correy Dillon
Junior Seau.
Rodney Harrison

Older FA signings are 50/50. But when you have a young team like we do esp on the defensive side, it helps to have veterans.

In a capped league with unrestricted free agency in 5 years or less, adherence to value is what gets you to 5 superbowls in an 11 year span. So does not thinking in terms of windows but rather always adhering to sound long term goals and principles. While this team has contingency transition plans in place at all times, it doesn't contemplate having to implement them in the forseeable future. Which is why they won't change their core philosophy of being long term investors as opposed to incessant window shoppers who can't withstand the urge to make the splashy short term purchase only ultimately to find themselves coming up consistently short and backed into a financial corner that doesn't allow them to do what is best for the organization long term at all times. Like the JETS. Why people want them to be something other than what they are is beyond me...

Totally agree.

It's also how a team loses their HOF QB for a season yet manages to go 11-5. Meanwhile, a team like Indy which pays top dollar for their stars can go from winning the division to the #1 draft pick by losing a single player.

It's also how a team that is forced to start 39 different players on defense because of injuries still finds a way to make it into the Superbowl, despite no other AFC team starting more than 27 players on D.

We were one play away from starting another dynasty. Some people need a major reality check.

Totally agree.

It's also how a team loses their HOF QB for a season yet manages to go 11-5. Meanwhile, a team like Indy which pays top dollar for their stars can go from winning the division to the #1 draft pick by losing a single player.

It's also how a team that is forced to start 39 different players on defense because of injuries still finds a way to make it into the Superbowl, despite no other AFC team starting more than 27 players on D.

We were one play away from starting another dynasty. Some people need a major reality check.

Once again the Patriots seem plauged by injuries. I'd love to read a starting player injury stats comparison with the other playoff contenders over the last 10 years.

The best thing about Reggie Wayne is that he won't command too much money because of his age. Wouldn't you rather see him here instead of Ocho, with Ocho's exact contract? Ocho turned out to be useless, but it didn't hurt the team too much. There is no possible way Wayne will be worse than Ocho.

in 2010 when Peyton was playing he targeted Wayne as much as anyone in the league. It was Welker-like. He lost hope with the Colts last season, but he'll bring 100% for Brady.

He's not the answer for our WR problems, but he can help.

Last edited:
The best thing about Reggie Wayne is that he won't command too much money because of his age. Wouldn't you rather see him here instead of Ocho, with Ocho's exact contract? Ocho turned out to be useless, but it didn't hurt the team too much. There is no possible way Wayne will be worse than Ocho.

in 2010 when Peyton was playing he targeted Wayne as much as anyone in the league. It was Welker-like. He lost hope with the Colts last season, but he'll bring 100% for Brady.

He's not the answer for our WR problems, but he can help.

I have the same take on the situation. I know some people don't want a WR or don't hold it as a priority right now but like you said why do we want to keep Ocho? A non factor in the offense all season. Why not get him out of here and replace him with something like Wayne or Lloyd. Im not looking for a whole offensive rehaul but I think getting Ocho out and someone else in is the way to go.

The answer is not more offense, it is getting better on D. The offense is great already, but what this team needs is a D that can hold up and win a game when the offense has a bad day.

The answer is not more offense, it is getting better on D. The offense is great already, but what this team needs is a D that can hold up and win a game when the offense has a bad day.

Not more O...but can you imagine a deep threat making safeties and CBs back off allowing Gronk and Hernandez to go off? Yeah

I think we can all agree there is room for both improvements.

The answer is both units need improvement. Outside receiver is the worst position on the team and it hamstrings the offense against good teams, who get to "cheat" by only covering between the numbers and 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. It is silly to expect to win Super Bowls 14-10 and 17-15. The offense is great against crappy teams, but struggles just as much as the defense, if not more, against any good team.

What the team needs is to re-sign a bunch of players and then get a middle-deep receiver, a minimum of 2 DE/OLB players (3-4/4-3 dependent), a quality safety to play alongside Chung, for Dowling to actually stay healthy and pan out in his sophomore season, and for McCourty to play like a quality CB instead of like a guy who barely belongs in the NFL.

This is not an "either WR or defense" situation. It's a "WR and defense" situation.

Last edited:
Yeah, fine. But not at the expense of Branch or Lloyd.

I agree defense is a high priority.

But when you have defenses like the Steelers, Ravens, and Giants publicly saying that they "weren't afraid of the deep ball" it tells you that good defenses (good persoonnel) have less to prepare for. Nobody is worried about Matthew Slater and Tiquan Underwood, but they will worry about Reggie Wayne, Why? Because Wayne can run every route on the field effectively. And although Wayne isn't a classic speed receiver, his football IQ and route running allow him to keep coverage to his side honest and respectable.

My top choice is Marques Colston because he's basically a bigger, stronger, younger Reggie Wayne.

I like Brandon Lloyd as well because he's quicker and younger than Wayne (less of a route runner) and knows our system.

I hope we add one of these three because I think their skills and personality fit this team the best.

Not more O...but can you imagine a deep threat making safeties and CBs back off allowing Gronk and Hernandez to go off? Yeah

GRONK and Hernandez with single coverage on the majority of plays. . . . :eek:

Surely the SB made it abundantly clear we need an outside receiver, the defence was OK, in a passing league no defence in the league is going to keep teams like the packers, saints, giants etc under 20 points, the key will be to control the ball on offense.

One or two outside receivers who can work outside the numbers and have teams respect that is the most important aspect for this team in the offseason

I would make getting walker, lloyd and Wayne top priority plus two first day defensive picks in the draft

Surely the SB made it abundantly clear we need an outside receiver, the defence was OK, in a passing league no defence in the league is going to keep teams like the packers, saints, giants etc under 20 points, the key will be to control the ball on offense.

didn't green bay score like 14 points on the giants?????

either way they need a deep thread of some kind........Wayne and Loyd would probably add like 10mil to the cap.......sooooo it goes from there I guess.

One or two outside receivers who can work outside the numbers and have teams respect that is the most important aspect for this team in the offseason

I would make getting walker, lloyd and Wayne top priority plus two first day defensive picks in the draft

I think it made it abundantly clear that if we had a healthy Gronk and didnt shoot ourselves in the foot we win that game going away.

That said, we do need an outside receiver to keep good defenses like Baltimore and the Steelers honest.

We do not need to sign a thirty three year old receiver. Yes, he's had a great career and might have a year or two left but we need younger faster and not of the Brandon Tate sort, who has demonstrated that he can catch the football. In the final analysis if this were to happen, I'd be okay with it but I think the PATS need to think a bit more long term.

We do not need to sign a thirty three year old receiver. Yes, he's had a great career and might have a year or two left but we need younger faster and not of the Brandon Tate sort, who has demonstrated that he can catch the football. In the final analysis if this were to happen, I'd be okay with it but I think the PATS need to think a bit more long term.

I would rather have LLoyd but Isn't what all those draft picks are for? Long term? Heck I guarantee people talk about bringing Moss back and he is older than Wayne.

Can he run routes?
Can he get open?
Can he catch the ball?

I don’t know why you’re hung up on his age, I don’t care about that so long as he can play. You bring up Brandon Tate, he should be evidence that BB is NOT good at drafting WRs, so why not use the free agent market? We might only keep him for 2-3 yrs but if he can help us win championships in those 2-3 yrs who cares?

Also, just because we sign Wayne doesn’t mean we can’t also draft someone. I think Wayne is a lot more of a sure thing than a draftee, especially at the prices required for a top receiver, I’d prefer to sign Wayne and Lloyd and also draft under the radar guys like Greg Childs and Devon Wylie “The Coyote”.

Sign me up as one who likes the thought of Wayne in a Patriots jersey.

BB has long admired him, and it's not hard to find highlights of him making amazing catches along the sideline or in the end zone. He really seems like a smart player who knows how to get open against any defense, he has very good hands - holds on even when he's hit immediately after a catch, and there are lots of stories out there about how him and Peyton were especially good together because they put in so much work on it - sounds like a Patriot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes