PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reggie Nelson's intellect

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I read somewhere people were questioning Nelson's intellect, and I know about his struggling to get high enough grades for his transfer.....

Now scouts are talking about Nelson's lack of intelligence.

"I don't think he's very smart, that's going to be his downfall," a scout said.

I'm starting to wonder about this, and think he probably wouldn't even be a good fit for NE's defense. Also, he didn't do any reps at 225 at the combine or his Pro Day, is he weak? I don't know, but I'm starting to wonder about this kid.

The key is how football smart he is. Asante Samuel got a 10 or somthing on the Wunderlich. That said, after wanting Nelson or Merriweather all offseason I'm starting to look to Griffin more.

The key is how football smart he is. Asante Samuel got a 10 or somthing on the Wunderlich. That said, after wanting Nelson or Merriweather all offseason I'm starting to look to Griffin more.

Yea, and I don't really want to take Griffin at 24, but I think the Eagles would snag him at 26. Maybe they go LB, though. I like Meriweather but with the crackdown currently in effect I think teams might just stay away from anyone with a minor question mark. Maybe Meriweather falls to the third round because of this, who knows. The more I've looked at Griffin, and the more I've analyzed his stats/play/workout numbers, the more I'd be fine with selecting him.

I'm more comfortable with Griffin athletically and intellectually now - and you have to love his special teams play.

A safe, boring, but solid first round would be Michael Griffin and David Harris.

Intelligence was the big question about Nelson before the combine, and unofficial reports are he scored a 12 on the Wonderlic. Safety is a relatively cerebral position in the Pats' defense, so it's a legitimate concern -- especially since so many of the other safeties this year (Weddle, Gattis, Wendling, Herring, etc.) are very sharp cookies. On the other hand, you could probably get away with a Nelson if you had one of those guys alongside him....

i've mentioned it a few times..i dont believe he'll understand offenses as well as some of the other safeties

I'm more comfortable with Griffin athletically and intellectually now - and you have to love his special teams play.

A safe, boring, but solid first round would be Michael Griffin and David Harris.

I've been thinking the same thing, as well.

Character risks, underperformers, and conversion projects need not apply at 24/28 Patriot Way.

Then, at 91, maybe Daymeion Hughes or someone else from the 2nd tier of CBs is still available.

Intelligence was the big question about Nelson before the combine, and unofficial reports are he scored a 12 on the Wonderlic.

Where can I find these unofficial wonderlic scores? I saw rookboston say something about Timmons's score too.

I had read that he would have trouble picking up complex schemes. He would have to play a fairly simplified defense. But, it was also said that he has very good football instincts.

If the fromer is true then he could not play very well for the Patriots. If it is untrue and the latter is correct, he could be an outstanding player for the Patriots.

When in doubt go TE ;)

i always wonder what exactly football instinctsts consist of---hit guy hard? the pats fs plays the true cf role, with rodney usually up in the box. while nelsons range is outstanding, it dosen't seem like hes got the mind you'd want for the BB defense. as good as he may be athletically, BB won't put him on the field if he dosent feel he has a good grasp of what the team does/wants to do in coverage schemes. so yeah exit nelson, enter meriweather...

I do not see Merriweather as a huge upgrade over Nelson intellectually. Merriweather is an enforcer type safety with limited coverage skills. If BB is trying to fix the problem of Indy TE's and WR"s running free in the secondary down the seams, Merriweather is probably not the guy.

Last year's defense had two glaring holes prior to Seau getting hurt. Pass defense in the flats, and secondary receievers open down the seams. Thomas is probably going to address the flats, that leaves the seams.

BB has no problem playing a double S defense where each S takes half the field. Each needs to be able read, cover and thump.

I do not think Merriweather can cover well enough to get the job done and I do not think Nelson is disciplined enough to get the job done.

PS: Hughes as a CB was a gambler and guesser that gave up big plays and made big plays. Hard to see BB moving him to S and then putting a guesser out there on his defense.

I do not see Merriweather as a huge upgrade over Nelson intellectually. Merriweather is an enforcer type safety with limited coverage skills. If BB is trying to fix the problem of Indy TE's and WR"s running free in the secondary down the seams, Merriweather is probably not the guy.

Last year's defense had two glaring holes prior to Seau getting hurt. Pass defense in the flats, and secondary receievers open down the seams. Thomas is probably going to address the flats, that leaves the seams.

BB has no problem playing a double S defense where each S takes half the field. Each needs to be able read, cover and thump.

I do not think Merriweather can cover well enough to get the job done and I do not think Nelson is disciplined enough to get the job done.

PS: Hughes as a CB was a gambler and guesser that gave up big plays and made big plays. Hard to see BB moving him to S and then putting a guesser out there on his defense.

What do you mean "with limited coverage skills"? Meriweather has very good coverage skills. He played CB for part of the season limiting Calvin Johnson to 68 yards during the process, didn't give up a single reception in four games while playing CB, played CB & Safety at the Senior bowl, and looked like the best all around Safety at the Senior Bowl. This is the same Brandon Meriweather Mike Mayock think's could be a good CB right out of college?

Mike Wright describes him as "Smooth athlete with fluid hips...Has excellent range and excels in coverage...Very instinctive and a playmaker with solid hands and ball skills......Very versatile and could play a number of roles in the secondary...Smart and a hard worker who is reportedly a leader".

DJ Boyer "Strengths: Pass Coverage" "Technique: Most natural ability playing the pass in the safety group."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes