PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Regarding the newly-created Pats cap space.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coast2CoastPatsFan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
My preference would be to see them use it towards extending Seymour and Branch. But yesterday after learning that AV signed with the Dolts, I started wondering again what the Patriots are up to. It then dawned on me that maybe the Patriots are positioning themselves to make a major move up in the draft (like top 5 or 10 slots) to land a player they really covet, and have the money to sign such a marquis player. Or perhaps they have created such cap space to make a trade with another team for an upper tier veteran player who would command a high salary? I know either of these approaches goes against the grain of their player acquisition philosophies, but I've got to figure the Pats are planning to do something with all of this available money and not let it sit in their pocket. Just food for thought................

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
My preference would be to see them use it towards extending Seymour and Branch. But yesterday after learning that AV signed with the Dolts, I started wondering again what the Patriots are up to. It then dawned on me that maybe the Patriots are positioning themselves to make a major move up in the draft (like top 5 or 10 slots) to land a player they really covet, and have the money to sign such a marquis player. Or perhaps they have created such cap space to make a trade with another team for an upper tier veteran player who would command a high salary? I know either of these approaches goes against the grain of their player acquisition philosophies, but I've got to figure the Pats are planning to do something with all of this available money and not let it sit in their pocket. Just food for thought................

I slightly disagree with the draft idea. I think the pats if anything will trade down a couple of slots this yr. and focus mostly on adding in rds- 2,3,4. While also adding draft picks to 2007. However, I do believe the pats are up to something very unpredicatable, but that could just be hopeful wishing as well.

holyredeemer said:
I slightly disagree with the draft idea. I think the pats if anything will trade down a couple of slots this yr. and focus mostly on adding in rds- 2,3,4. While also adding draft picks to 2007. However, I do believe the pats are up to something very unpredicatable, but that could just be hopeful wishing as well.

It was just a wacky idea on my part. I'm more with you in that I think they'll either stand pat (no pun intended) or move down to add extra picks for this year and next. They always like to wheel and deal in the draft, and have the extra ammo to do so this year, so I think it's safe to say that we'll be seeing BB & SP making lots of moves..............

I am not even going to try and make a mock draft this yr. I usually have fun with it, but for some reason I think it would be a nightmare to even consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back