Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This was my fifth Pats-Jets game at the Meadowlands (we've won four of them), a great time as always. Made it from Lowell to Giants Stadium in a record three hours and 15 minutes (!) thanks to AStack75's satellite GPS. The ride home was marred by a 45-minute wait to get over the Geo. Washington Bridge. The day was 9 a.m.-12:30 a.m. round-trip. A few observations from this go-round:

What a beautiful summery day for tailgating, enhanced by the 4:15 start time. Parking is only $15 and there's plenty of space around the expansive stadium lot to do your thing.

Jets fans were pretty civil -- kind of an older "professional-type" crowd and not a lot of drunk rowdy types. But make no mistake, they do HATE BB and the Patriots. You could tell they were expecting to lose going in. We didn't get razzed much, and when we did it was pretty good-natured.

New York pre-game sports radio was full of misleading crap over how the Patriots are disintegrating and the dynasty is over, how BB hates Mangini, the lockerroom is in disarray over Branch, etc., etc. They said Vrabel was injured (?!) which made no sense as he wasn't on the injury report.

They give away free mini-programs with the rosters when you walk in the gate, didn't see the league-sanctioned GameDay program for sale anywhere.

No introduction of the lineups prior to kickoff or announcement of inactives. Weird.

Jets were booed off the field at halftime down 17-0. Some Jets fans left after we went up 24-0. But when they started scoring the place got very, very LOUD, and you could literally feel the momentum shifting and the crowd was a part of it. Giants Stadium is a very close-to-the-field, intimate building that holds noise unlike Gillette.

Near the end of Brady's clock-killing fourth-quarter drive, the place was starting to empty out, even though it would turn out that they had a chance to tie up to the final play. Jets fans are quick to give up, probably from years of conditioning. I was thinking at the time that if New York came back to win, the fallout would be huge for both teams. Being up 24-0 and losing seemed incomprehensible, but it definitely was possible.

One time saw Mangini giving one of his assistants hell on the sidelines. I think it was Schottenheimer.

You can tell simply by his physical presence on the field that Chad Jackson has the potential for being special. Both he and Maroney are pure athletes.

Makes sense that they're planning to build a new stadium, the concourses get pretty jammed, video screens aren't that big, etc. But there doesn't seem to be a bad seat in the house, including the upper deck.

I'll try to add more if it comes to mind, but overall a good trip to make if you're a Patriots fan and can get tickets (got mine on eBay). But, I won't be surprised if/when Mangini eventually beats us down there once they get a running game.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

I made my third trip there for a Pats/Jest tilt:

Not sure where you get the "professional" crowd vibe at all.
Parking is a bargain.
It took me 2 1/2 hours to get over the Geo Wash - therefore if any of my Jest fans friends EVER complain about traffic at Gillette - I have the right to punch them. :)

Garbanza said:
Not sure where you get the "professional" crowd vibe at all.

Just seemed to be more "adult" and less of a drunken yahoo bunch. I've noticed it there before.

I agree about the crowd. Actually polite. Not one person made any nasty remark about my Patriots SB 36 Champions t-shirt.

I went to the Meadowlands in 2002, the year after they won the SB and a week after they beat Pitt to start the season. The Pats rolled 44-7, but I remember how awful and foul-mouthed the fans were towards Pats fans. Jet fans were confident that year and by the beginning of the 4th, only Pats fans were left. Walking to the car after the final whistle, drunken and mad Jet fans yelled at us, threw cans at us and kept yelling "1918" at us. I hate the Jets fans and wish them nothing but misery forever.

Jacky Roberts said:
I went to the Meadowlands in 2002, the year after they won the SB and a week after they beat Pitt to start the season. The Pats rolled 44-7, but I remember how awful and foul-mouthed the fans were towards Pats fans. Jet fans were confident that year and by the beginning of the 4th, only Pats fans were left. Walking to the car after the final whistle, drunken and mad Jet fans yelled at us, threw cans at us and kept yelling "1918" at us. I hate the Jets fans and wish them nothing but misery forever.

Well then things have changed with the Jets crowds at the stadium since then.

Yesterday's crowd was more sedate and polite than the crowd at the Disney on Ice show I took my kids to last year.

thks.
'globally' there were many Patriots Fans at the stadium ?

italianpatthepatriot said:
thks.
'globally' there were many Patriots Fans at the stadium ?

They were scattered all over the place, but not in groups like you'll find when the Patriots play in Buffalo. Probably a few thousand.

Tunescribe said:
This was my fifth Pats-Jets game at the Meadowlands (we've won four of them), a great time as always. Made it from Lowell to Giants Stadium in a record three hours and 15 minutes (!) thanks to AStack75's satellite GPS. The ride home was marred by a 45-minute wait to get over the Geo. Washington Bridge. The day was 9 a.m.-12:30 a.m. round-trip. A few observations from this go-round:

What a beautiful summery day for tailgating, enhanced by the 4:15 start time. Parking is only $15 and there's plenty of space around the expansive stadium lot to do your thing.

Jets fans were pretty civil -- kind of an older "professional-type" crowd and not a lot of drunk rowdy types. But make no mistake, they do HATE BB and the Patriots. You could tell they were expecting to lose going in. We didn't get razzed much, and when we did it was pretty good-natured.

New York pre-game sports radio was full of misleading crap over how the Patriots are disintegrating and the dynasty is over, how BB hates Mangini, the lockerroom is in disarray over Branch, etc., etc. They said Vrabel was injured (?!) which made no sense as he wasn't on the injury report.

They give away free mini-programs with the rosters when you walk in the gate, didn't see the league-sanctioned GameDay program for sale anywhere.

No introduction of the lineups prior to kickoff or announcement of inactives. Weird.

Jets were booed off the field at halftime down 17-0. Some Jets fans left after we went up 24-0. But when they started scoring the place got very, very LOUD, and you could literally feel the momentum shifting and the crowd was a part of it. Giants Stadium is a very close-to-the-field, intimate building that holds noise unlike Gillette.

Near the end of Brady's clock-killing fourth-quarter drive, the place was starting to empty out, even though it would turn out that they had a chance to tie up to the final play. Jets fans are quick to give up, probably from years of conditioning. I was thinking at the time that if New York came back to win, the fallout would be huge for both teams. Being up 24-0 and losing seemed incomprehensible, but it definitely was possible.

One time saw Mangini giving one of his assistants hell on the sidelines. I think it was Schottenheimer.

You can tell simply by his physical presence on the field that Chad Jackson has the potential for being special. Both he and Maroney are pure athletes.

Makes sense that they're planning to build a new stadium, the concourses get pretty jammed, video screens aren't that big, etc. But there doesn't seem to be a bad seat in the house, including the upper deck.

I'll try to add more if it comes to mind, but overall a good trip to make if you're a Patriots fan and can get tickets (got mine on eBay). But, I won't be surprised if/when Mangini eventually beats us down there once they get a running game.

It was interesting to hear of your experiences.

It boggles my mind though to see "winning clubs" like the Philadelphia Eagles and Carolina Panthers look for and find ways to lose supposedly "won" games.

Among the greatest features of this coaching regime is not just the 21 strait game winning streak, its the 56-1 record when leading going into the 4th quarter. How they instill POISE is a great coaching question, but they do.

The Patriots may see some teams rally against them but only one of the last 57 actually came back to actually win. And its not as if they are destroying teams 40-0. Most games are won by but one or two scores.

Mind boggling.

Tunescribe said:

When crossing the GWB, take the lower level.

The construction you saw near the stadium is not for the new stadium. It for the SNOW DOME that will be part of the Xanadu entertainment complex.

The JETS will be moving their headquarter and training facility from Long Island to Florham Park, NJ, in 2008.

I have always thought Jets fans are rowdier Giants fans. But contrary to perception, NY/NJ folks are polite and well-mannered. :)

shmessy said:
I agree about the crowd. Actually polite. Not one person made any nasty remark about my Patriots SB 36 Champions t-shirt.
Because you're 6'5" and 250 lbs?;)

Fanfrom1960 said:
Because you're 6'5" and 250 lbs?;)

...........with a deep scar across my chin under the fu manchu.

Been a long time since i ventured there
but why the GW at all?
From New England, how about the Tappan Zee via I-84?

The demographic composition of the crowd speaks strongly to the
yuppification of the NFL ... thanks to ticket prices.

Well, I have been a Pats fan living in NYC for the last 10 years. I have been to this game 8 of the last 10 years. (I didnt go last year since it was the day after Xmas, and I was in Mass with my family)

Anyways I never really have a problem. I dont wear Pats gear, not because I am afraid, but I have a superstition of wearng Pats gear on game day. I never wear Pats gear on Sundays. But I am pretty loud and vocal, and me and the Jets fans in my section had a good back and forth going all game. (all in good fun)

Why I love Giants stadium is that it is built perfectly for fans. There is not a bad seat in the house, you are right on top of the field, and the crowd gets loud being that close. They will lose that in the new stadium, because of all the luxury boxes they are planning. that is what I hate about the Razor, that the luxury boxes, make the top level fans so far away from the action. In Giants stadiums the real fans are rght there, and the luxury boxes are behind them, very well built for real fans. The razor like the new Giants stadium, is buit for the luxury boxes, and it does take away from the game. I will miss Giants stadium, one of my favorite places to see a game.

BTW the best way to leave is actually Lincoln Tunnel, West Side Highway, Cross County Pkwy, 687 to 84, to Mass Pike.

Peter Pat said:
Well, I have been a Pats fan living in NYC for the last 10 years. I have been to this game 8 of the last 10 years. (I didnt go last year since it was the day after Xmas, and I was in Mass with my family)

O faithless fan (fan being what you call your miserable self)!

Do you think Boxing Day (in Canada and the UK)
is sufficient excuse to leave your lads in the lurch?

Betake thee to the ghosts of Pats-Jets games past.

ps - St. Stephens Day in the Emerald Isle, isn't it?
STILL no excuse.

Nice thread. I love authentic posts about visits to other stadia.

Tunescribe said:
This was my fifth Pats-Jets game at the Meadowlands (we've won four of them), a great time as always. A few observations from this go-round:
Very enjoyable post, Tunescribe! I look forward to similar posts on other away games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back