PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ref Crew for Championship Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

NENGFAN

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
We get Alberto Riveron's crew....Have we had this crew before?

"Alberto Riverón will head an “all-star” crew in the AFC Championship on Sunday between the Ravens and Patriots.

Veteran referee Ed Hochuli will be in San Francisco to officiate the Giants-49ers matchup for the NFC title. Hochuli was in last year’s AFC Championship game."

"Alberto Riverón will head an “all-star” crew in the AFC Championship on Sunday between the Ravens and Patriots.

Veteran referee Ed Hochuli will be in San Francisco to officiate the Giants-49ers matchup for the NFC title. Hochuli was in last year’s AFC Championship game."

if i am not wrong, this is the same crew that worked the Pats Dolhpins game at foxboro

As long as it's not whoever officiated the Giants vs. Packers game. That was awful.

Yes we've had him many times- he's one of the better refs in the league.

I don't get why Hochuli is still around much less officiating playoff games. That guy needs to be given the boot.

I don't get why Hochuli is still around much less officiating playoff games. That guy needs to be given the boot.

I know...He has messed up a few times most notably a Bronco-Chargers game a few yrs back I believe. Maybe he just wants to show-off his muscles in those tight shirts.....

While I actually don't think Hoculli is as bad as people say, I still almost vomited a little when I first read this page and saw his name first.

Riveron isn't a name that sticks out to me, but that's OK. Sometimes we only remember a ref's name b/c they did something to screw us.

Alberto Riveron did ref the last Miami game. Someone posted his numbers the last few years and he seems to throw few PI flags and many rouging the passer flags which on paper would benefit us. That said his crew threw that terrible PI call against us vs the Dolphins, so who knows.

Looking at his statistics here: Officials Stats

This guy's crew doesn't seem to call many penalties. However, since it is an "all-star" crew its hard to predict how the group will be. If I remember correctly though, the ref is the one that is looking for offensive holding, and he doesn't seem to call very many. That would seem good for the Patriots.

As long as it's not whoever officiated the Giants vs. Packers game. That was awful.

I wish the league would look into that game a bit more. I haven't seen officiating like that in a playoff game since the Steelers/Seahawks. It was actually worse than that game.

Officials blow calls, and that's fine - but to still blow a call after reviewing it?

I wish the league would look into that game a bit more. I haven't seen officiating like that in a playoff game since the Steelers/Seahawks. It was actually worse than that game.

Officials blow calls, and that's fine - but to still blow a call after reviewing it?

Actually the Steelers/Seahawks game was officiated by the same crew that did the Giants/Packers game. A coincidence? And now the NFL has just come out saying that they support the decision of the crew regarding the replay challenge where they say Jennings had his calf hitting the ground therefore making him "down". Wow and pathetic!

+1. Hochuli is very well know for being probably the most "in shape" referee out there. He stands out among his peers because of this and almost has a sort of cult following.

And all of the above masks the fact that he is a very poor ref.

Alberto Riveron did ref the last Miami game. Someone posted his numbers the last few years and he seems to throw few PI flags and many rouging the passer flags which on paper would benefit us. That said his crew threw that terrible PI call against us vs the Dolphins, so who knows.
The crew will be different so the P.I.s will be thrown by someone who doesn't generally work with Riveron. The roughing the passer calls, however, will still obviously be Roveron's call.

I'm not sure I like the all star crews. I think it tends to reinforce the idea that officiating is basically 7 different little fiefdoms with no need for coordination. For a team that runs half its plays out of the hurry up, I'm not so sure having a crew that isn't used to each other is such a good thing -- you at least want the U and the R on the same page.

The funny thing is that whenever the crews get announced, everyone focuses on the ref, who actually has the least play-to-play responsibility of the entire crew. Under the hood, roughing the passer and kicker, and first downs, basically. For the most part, his job is to report penalties that his colleagues call to the rest of the world. Where he really matters is if the sh*t hits the fan and they need a final call on a rules point, but when does that ever happen?

Maybe that's the best way to do it, I don't know. It seems weird to have crews for 17 weeks of the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs, but then to go to all stars for the last 3 games of the year.

I'm not sure I like the all star crews. I think it tends to reinforce the idea that officiating is basically 7 different little fiefdoms with no need for coordination. For a team that runs half its plays out of the hurry up, I'm not so sure having a crew that isn't used to each other is such a good thing -- you at least want the U and the R on the same page.

The funny thing is that whenever the crews get announced, everyone focuses on the ref, who actually has the least play-to-play responsibility of the entire crew. Under the hood, roughing the passer and kicker, and first downs, basically. For the most part, his job is to report penalties that his colleagues call to the rest of the world. Where he really matters is if the sh*t hits the fan and they need a final call on a rules point, but when does that ever happen?

Maybe that's the best way to do it, I don't know. It seems weird to have crews for 17 weeks of the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs, but then to go to all stars for the last 3 games of the year.
Well, I dunno..... I don't think teamwork is all that important on a referee crew. The back judge will focus on certain players and call pass interference if he sees it. It doesn't matter whom the referee or umpire is because those guys are 30 yards away and don't interact with him.

It was the same crew that did the Packers Giants Game.

Not sure how the heck that ref still has a job in the NFL.

It was the same crew that did the Packers Giants Game.

Not sure how the heck that ref still has a job in the NFL.

Wonder if he would've apologized had the G-men lost.

Leavy......:bricks:

Alberto Riveron to referee AFC Championshio

Playoffs/Super Bowl

I like this referee. He did the pats-dolphins game earlier this hear. He's one of those refs that swallows his whistle and lets the players play.

Johm Parry gets the super bowl.

Alberto Riveron to referee AFC Championshiop

Playoffs/Super Bowl

I like this referee. He did the pats-dolphins game earlier this hear. He's one of those refs that swallows his whistle and lets the players play.

Johm Parry gets the super bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes