PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reed could 'definitely' see himself playing for BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have Elam ahead of Vaccarro... Any particular reason, or just a general thing?

General thing for the most part. But Elam seems to have a better nose for the ball than Vacarro and was more active against more elite competition. Not sure how Vacarro is in coming up to defend the run (I only caught a handful of Texas games this season), but I know that Elam can do it and loves to do it. And, out of the two, Elam seems to be the more punishing hitter which is something, at least IMO, this secondary needs.

Not to mention Elam is a Gator. :cool:

A couple of reasons. The first is that, at age 35, he may be too expensive for some people. We don't know that yet, but it's pretty much the assumption.

The second is that people like to be right. Before this season, there was a large contingent on this forum that were trying to convince themselves and anybody that would listen that Gregory was anything more than a JAG. Many of those same people are still of the opinion that Gregory would be fine next to McCourty.

As for me? I'd love to see Elam drafted. I'd also love it if the team brought Reed in. I'd probably die of a heart attack brought on by excitement if the team did both.
I hate people like that. A lot of people would rather have the team suffer and be right about something. I actually like Gregory, but he shouldn't be starting. Not a terrible player tho he got better as the season went along. Reed would be a huge upgrade. Don't know anything about Elam but he sounds pretty good from some post on here. Who knows maybe Glas-IR Dowling proves us all wrong and does something pleasant next season. Didn't a lot people say he had safety potential? Granted, he'd probably break himself trying to deliver a big hit.

General thing for the most part. But Elam seems to have a better nose for the ball than Vacarro and was more active against more elite competition. Not sure how Vacarro is in coming up to defend the run (I only caught a handful of Texas games this season), but I know that Elam can do it and loves to do it. And, out of the two, Elam seems to be the more punishing hitter which is something, at least IMO, this secondary needs.

Not to mention Elam is a Gator. :cool:
I'd prefer William Moore than Ed Reed (given age). That said, if Ed Reed takes a team friendly contract and Elam fell to the Patriots, the offseason would be full of win.

"It's the reason why I wear my sweater cut off a little bit. He's the first guy I saw like, 'That's cool.' You know, that's cool. He cuts those sweater sleeves, and he'll be comfortable. So there's a reason why. Most people will tell you around the facility that's how I look. "

Is he serious or is he joking? It's almost as if he is making fun of BB.
I heard it. Trust me, he wasn't making fun of BB. Far from it. Major man crush...

I'd prefer William Moore than Ed Reed (given age). That said, if Ed Reed takes a team friendly contract and Elam fell to the Patriots, the offseason would be full of win.

With the team's habit of filling needs with FA first and then drafting for the best position available (sometimes, last year was a huge bucking the trend) you gotta think Reed would be signed before even knowing if Elam is available.

How is anybody against this after the crap we've had at safety last few years? Dude can still play. Million times better than Gregory.

age and the $$ he will want..he won't take vet min...he was great back in the day..but i would rather have youth back there

age and the $$ he will want..he won't take vet min...he was great back in the day..but i would rather have youth back there

young stud safety isn't easy to get. I'd rather take the old good player than the young scrub. I highly doubt you have someone like Sergio Brown in my mind. I mean if you can get Reed on a one year deal, not much harm done. He can teach the young guy how to play. A lot of us thought Josh Barrett was going to be good....so I'd rather have the sure thing back there. Especially with a team that is soo sooo close to winning it.

With the team's habit of filling needs with FA first and then drafting for the best position available (sometimes, last year was a huge bucking the trend) you gotta think Reed would be signed before even knowing if Elam is available.
We are in agreement. My hope is that the team fills a need now and for the future. That's not to say I don't have faith in a draft pick coming in and doing the job, but I feel there's a need for some veteran leadership on D that will impact right now (given Brady's closing window).

I'd rather have confidence back there, no matter how old. I'm sick and tired of seeing DB's playing like deers caught in headlights, taking bad angles, giving too much of a cushion or playing poor technique because they're so scared of giving up the big play.

I'd rather have confidence back there, no matter how old. I'm sick and tired of seeing DB's playing like deers caught in headlights, taking bad angles, giving too much of a cushion or playing poor technique because they're so scared of giving up the big play.

Maybe our DBs are taking deer antler extract :eek:

do you really think he would take vet min on a 1 year deal? Especially if the ravens win the SB?

Reed is just keeping his options open. Putting the talk out there may help his cause a little bit. However, like BB, Newsome is one of the best GMs out there as well. Can't see either overpaying unless Bill really thinks this puts to rest the secondary problems.

Dont want him if we can find a younger faster player. He isnt the same anymore.

But is our problem in the secondary a lack of speed? Not that I can see. When it comes to the safeties, they usually seem to be out of position, which is a knowledge/recognition thing not a speed thing.

Ed Reed for two years to shore up the safety position and teach the young guys what to look for and how to play? Hell yeah.

Ed Reed is clearly an upgrade from Steve Gregory..Patriots are in win now mode, I would rather have Experience out there than a rookie

re-sign talib, sign Ed reed, draft a safety....suddently I like the look of our secondary.

Reed/Mccourty at Safety. Dennard/Talib at CB

Maybe just maybe we could then prevent the Raven from reading Tom's signals as they did yet again two weeks ago...and the game before and the game before...

Reed's comments about Belichick/Pats remind me a little of Parcells' dalliance with the Jets ahead of the Packers-Pats SB.

I hope they annoy Baltimore fans as much as Parcells' crap annoyed me.

This isn't the same thing. Parcells' conduct was much worse. Unforgivable. Worthy of seething, lasting hatred.

But the common link is that both guys should not have been spending even a half second talking or thinking about the next gig. It should be ALL SF, ALL THE TIME.

Which leads to the question: Do we want a guy who would be talking about his next stop during the days before the Super Bowl?

I think the answer is yes (if he can still play and the money is right), but this isn't exactly the kind of behavior that we should admire.

I suddenly really like Ed Reed.

ha ha....I was gonna say the same thing. He would really improve this defense. We saw how a reasonably talented Talib made such a big difference.

will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Ed seems to think he can play at a high level for a couple of more seasons. If Bill agrees he won't nickle and dime him. He has long regretted his decision to pass on Reed in the draft. This would represent his last shot at coaching him and fielding a secondary with him in it. Bill may love his linebackers and DLinemen, but when he coached the pro bowl in 2006 he told Reed that if he had him and Champ that's all he'd need...all.

Well I think the interesting thing I got out of that is that Reed wants to coach. How great would it be to have a coach/player in the secondary. I mean how often have we complained that our young players in the secondary just don't get it or just don't develop?

Perhaps having someone with the perspective of a player is exactly what we need to take that to the next level. That's the extra bonus part that I'd like about getting an Ed Reed considering what I'm hearing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back