PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reed could 'definitely' see himself playing for BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when the PATS dont make the SB, their name is surely mentioned during SB week more than all the other 29 teams COMBINED

Bill isn't as inclined to squeeze his binkies quite as much as some perceive him to be....

I don't expect Reed to sign for the veteran minimum. My post was made in fun.

The guy has publicly contemplated retirement each of the last two summers, as he finished off a below market deal.

Now his contract is up and he is talking up his teams biggest foe? I will chalk this up to early negotiating with the ravens.

Having Reed would sort of conflict with DMc's position wouldn't it?

Neither is an SS. Regardless he'd be a good player coach

Can he give us just one year of good play left in his tank at age 35? That's all we would need out of him. Give us a legit safety duo in Reed/McCourty and maybe pass some wisdom down to Wilson/Ebner.

A secondary of Talib/Dennard and Reed/McCourty is too good to be true.

I would love to see an Ed Reed/Matt Elam safety duo myself.

Dont want him if we can find a younger faster player. He isnt the same anymore.

Please let this happen.

I'm not sure whether the FS/SS distinction is that important in an era where you play nickel as much as you play base, and where even in the base D your linebackers excel at run defense.

I used to think the difference was important but not anymore.

I'd like a big nickel package as an option, frankly, with 3 safeties, and Ed and Devin would be fine as two of them, with a taller 3rd guy for TE coverage.

In lieu of signing Talib?

And drafting the Honey Badger late. Sign Talib, line him and Dennard up outside, slide Mathieu in the slot, and line up Reed and Elam deep, and this pass defense is great, not to mention you have two safeties that are superior in run support. If not Reed, then I'll gladly settle for a McCourty/Elam duo.

Now we know why Reed didnt say anything after the AFCCG game about Brady trying to kick him in the balls, then told us Tom called him to apologize.

The problem is Mccourty is a great zone corner and Dennard is a great man/press corner. We know for a fact Mccourty can't play man, and Dennard struggled in zone this year.

That is why McCourty is a safety now and excels at that position.

Ed Reed at 35 is still 3 times better than any of the safeties we've had since Rodney.

And drafting the Honey Badger late. Sign Talib, line him and Dennard up outside, slide Mathieu in the slot, and line up Reed and Elam deep, and this pass defense is great, not to mention you have two safeties that are superior in run support.

Donde esta McCourty in this scenario?

On the broader point, I agree: I wouldn't mind Reed/McCourty or Elam/McCourty. Another route would be Kenny Phillips/McCourty, depending on his asking price.

I know its the longest shot in the world in the NFL, so you dont have to comment with how its not going to happen

But if NE had Revis, Reed and Talib, would the nfl even hold a season next year or just ship the trophy to the pats?

Donde esta McCourty in this scenario?

On the broader point, I agree: I wouldn't mind Reed/McCourty or Elam/McCourty. Another route would be Kenny Phillips/McCourty, depending on his asking price.

I listed McCourty in the final sentence of my last post. I just think the first scenario would be great. You finally have a pass defense that is capable of de-cleating receivers over the middle of the field while excelling in press man with two safeties that are exceptional in run support as well (something McCourty lacks in IMO). But, if not Reed, I would gladly take McCourty starting back there as well. His range is great.

The issue that I have with Phillips is that I think this secondary is in sore need of a hitter in the mold of Ryan Clark or Bernard Pollard. That isn't Phillips. He would simply be another finesse safety that we would have to pay.

I listed McCourty in the final sentence of my last post. I just think the first scenario would be great. You finally have a pass defense that is capable of de-cleating receivers over the middle of the field while excelling in press man with two safeties that are exceptional in run support as well (something McCourty lacks in IMO). But, if not Reed, I would gladly take McCourty starting back there as well. His range is great.

I understand. I just think it's unlikely that BB will expend resources to relegate McCourty to the bench. Seems like there are at least half a dozen starting defenders from this year's team who would/should be targeted for demotion before DMac.

I understand. I just think it's unlikely that BB will expend resources to relegate McCourty to the bench. Seems like there are at least half a dozen starting defenders from this year's team who would/should be targeted for demotion before DMac.

I'm not advocating getting rid of McCourty. With BB's preference for depth, he would still see the field a good bit depending on situation/whether or not Reed would need a breather.

With Ed Reed at safety, we would see Talib, McCourty, and Dennard as the three CBs, with Dennard probably being moved to nickel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back