PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. We seem to have a particularly stacked roster this year in terms of depth. No obvious players you'd release to bring someone like Reece in.
The only player that comes to mind would be TE Scruggs, but it may be difficult to envision Reece taking snaps away from Develin. Like you said, it's a well stacked team.

The only player that comes to mind would be TE Scruggs, but it may be difficult to envision Reece taking snaps away from Develin. Like you said, it's a well stacked team.
Jordan Richards or Brandon King could go.

Well, sure, there are obviously some other players who could go, but I was speaking of a position where it would make some sense to try and upgrade. This is understanding of course that Reece isn't technically a TE, but that he could in theory contribute in some of the same ways.

Well, sure, there are obviously some other players who could go, but I was speaking of a position where it would make some sense to try and upgrade. This is understanding of course that Reece isn't technically a TE, but that he could in theory contribute in some of the same ways.
AJ Derby could be IRd.

While not a pure in-line TE I would consider Reece an Hback type.

Brandon King is a core special teamer. There's a reason he stayed on this roster and the team dumped a former 1st rounder who was part of a trade for a pass-rushing DE. I don't get why people are always listing him as someone they expect to be cut. Listening to Belichick's breakdown yesterday about the play where Mingo tackled the Cleveland returner deep in their own territory he called out King's performance.

Brandon King is a core special teamer. There's a reason he stayed on this roster and the team dumped a former 1st rounder who was part of a trade for a pass-rushing DE.

As good as King is at STs, he is always a candidate to be cut because he does not have a role on the regular defense. If the team finds a player that is equally as good at ST but has a role in the D, King is a realistic candidate to be moved. Same goes for Richards.

I don't get why people are always listing him as someone they expect to be cut. Listening to Belichick's breakdown yesterday about the play where Mingo tackled the Cleveland returner deep in their own territory he called out King's performance.

I don't know who is expecting King to be cut.

I can count till the cows come home how many times BB has sung a player's praise and cut him days weeks or months later.

As good as King is at STs, he is always a candidate to be cut because he does not have a role on the regular defense. If the team finds a player that is equally as good at ST but has a role in the D, King is a realistic candidate to be moved. Same goes for Richards.

I can count till the cows come home how many times BB has sung a player's praise and cut him days weeks or months later.

There's at least one poster here who repeatedly complains about King being on the roster.

As good as King is at STs, he is always a candidate to be cut because he does not have a role on the regular defense.

This is a fan argument and not that has any place in Belichick's thinking.

If Mingo and J Jones have moved King down on the ST depth chart, that is another issue entirely.

Nothing about our offensive depth is "an unfortunate situation".

The team has players that are happy with.

2 QB
4 WR
2 TE
1 WR/ST
4 RB (Lewis to replace Foster)
1 FB
8 OL (Jackson to be added when ready, or replacing Karras; Vollmer may or may not be added).
=====
We don't seem to have proven depth at TE, even though we have two bodies: Derby and Scruggs.

Perhaps, Belichick would jump at someone who MIGHT be helpful as a backup or 3rd blocking TE. OH, he's already done that in signing Scruggs.

I think I was not obvious enough at the end and should have put "unfortunate situation" in double quotes.. obviously I am happy with where we are, and was just a bit snarky..

When we first signed Scruggs I honestly had no idea who he was and thought that maybe he'd be a "big" TE that could also do Flemings job as 6th OL in case Cannon is out for longer.. but Scruggs doesn't seem to have the body for that..

On paper I'd agree that Reeece for Scruggs would make sense and I'd sign for that exchange of players immediately, if there wasn't this uneasy feeling that BB & co. must have some kind of plan for Scruggs..

But to be honest I simply can't figure their angle out.. I wonder if it has to do with his past on defense..

I suspect that Belichick is intrigued by Scruggs who is a DE who can play TE. Scruggs is the kind of player that is brought on to the team and given a chance in practice (like Hughes). Belichick uses the bottom of the roster for such players.

I am MORE intrigued with guys like Hamilton and Roberts, who have stepped up on the active roster when given a chance.

IMHO, Belichick is still looking for the right 3rd TE. He has two on the 53 man roster and none on the Practice Squad. I suspect that this won't last for long.

I think I was not obvious enough at the end and should have put "unfortunate situation" in double quotes.. obviously I am happy with where we are, and was just a bit snarky..

When we first signed Scruggs I honestly had no idea who he was and thought that maybe he'd be a "big" TE that could also do Flemings job as 6th OL in case Cannon is out for longer.. but Scruggs doesn't seem to have the body for that..

On paper I'd agree that Reeece for Scruggs would make sense and I'd sign for that exchange of players immediately, if there wasn't this uneasy feeling that BB & co. must have some kind of plan for Scruggs..

But to be honest I simply can't figure their angle out.. I wonder if it has to do with his past on defense..

I'd wager that half of the roster projections in the preseason had him and James White cut.

Slater, Ebner, Mingo, King, J. Jones. I think that short of someone who can outperform them on STs these guys are as safe on our roster as any non-star can be.

I'd wager that half of the roster projections in the preseason had him and James White cut.

Slater, Ebner, Mingo, King, J. Jones. I think that short of someone who can outperform them on STs these guys are as safe on our roster as any non-star can be.

To be fair, projecting a final 53 was especially difficult this year, as this may be the deepest roster in recent memory.

The Pats cut players thst they hope they can re-sign later, but they are getting snagged quickly.

Look at Cooper. With so many teams suddenly looking for interior OL help, if Cleveland didn't grab him, them someone like Miami or Chicago would have.

There are worse problems to have but it still smarts to lose players like Cooper, while we hold onto players like Scruggs so tenaciously, when no one seems to understand how BB wants to use him, and was himself a FA just a couple if weeks ago.

Last edited:
I suspect that Belichick is intrigued by Scruggs who is a DE who can play TE. Scruggs is the kind of player that is brought on to the team and given a chance in practice (like Hughes). Belichick uses the bottom of the roster for such players.

I am MORE intrigued with guys like Hamilton and Roberts, who have stepped up on the active roster when given a chance.

IMHO, Belichick is still looking for the right 3rd TE. He has two on the 53 man roster and none on the Practice Squad. I suspect that this won't last for long.

I was just about to write that BB usually does those tryout evaluations considerably faster (e.g. Hughes) and Scruggs has been around longer than I expected and then I read Jim McBride tweeting that Scruggs was seen on crutches and is absent from practice..

This is a fan argument and not that has any place in Belichick's thinking.

Are you implying that BB never contemplated King being cut/traded?

If Mingo and J Jones have moved King down on the ST depth chart, that is another issue entirely.

All 3 are first stringers on ST. King's roster spot comes into question only if a player surfaces who A) is a better player on ST who plays better than 3rd string at SS/FS or B) a player becomes available who brings more value to the roster spot than King.

King I could understand as there was a logjam of DBs.

White made no sense.

What happened to Derby?

Here's a question for you: how important are special teams compared to offense and defense?

With that question I feel like you are implying that I think ST are not important. I do think it is incredibly important. You could argue it won then the AZ game.

My position is that if a player comes along that gives you something close to Brandon King AND offers more value on the offensive/defensive side of the ball then you seriously need to look at maximizing the value of that roster spot.

With that question I feel like you are implying that I think ST are not important. I do think it is incredibly important. You could argue it won then the AZ game.

My position is that if a player comes along that gives you something close to Brandon King AND offers more value on the offensive/defensive side of the ball then you seriously need to look at maximizing the value of that roster spot.
Hey, no, not really implying anything. I just think it's an interesting question. Because special teams are definitely overlooked sometimes (by other teams, of course) and Belichick stresses their importance, and we can all see how important they are. I think determining HOW important does help to shape some decision-making. Meaning, I think King's well worth keeping even if he's "just" a special-teamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes